Leeds and Leicester coming to Coventry (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

Looking forward to being in the away end at Elland Road but not arsed about Leicester. Not a "rivalry" I care about, just something that gets aggy when we're in the same division. They're in the same place of the Derby/Forest/Leicester trio as we are in the Blues/Villa/Cov trio so we latch onto each other when we can.

GIMOC

Looking forward to being in the away end at Elland Road but not arsed about Leicester. Not a "rivalry" I care about, just something that gets aggy when we're in the same division. They're in the same place of the Derby/Forest/Leicester trio as we are in the Blues/Villa/Cov trio so we latch onto each other when we can.

Leicester is the biggest rivalry with us and as much they hate to say it, they hate us too. two cities 20 miles apart. similar ilk etc..

theferret

leeds today I know it’s emotions but still -

Leicester against West Ham -

Leicester will be a volatile fixture for obvious reasons, but I suspect there has been more trouble involving City fans over the past couple of seasons than there has with these 2 clubs. Like the vast majority of football fixtures, their games pass off without incident week in week out.

One thing I have learned from my many decades following city is that when people predict it's going to 'kick off', it almost never does.

theferret

That's how you see the Leicester game, it's not how many others see it. It means a lot to many fans of both sides, ask Leicester fans from south Leicestershire. It's simple geography with fans living and working alongside each other with split families etc. That's the seed of all football rivalries.

Essexrobbie

When do the fixtures come out? when does the season start/ After swearing I was going to stay off social media incase they mention luton....again... im raring to go again. Theres some big sides in the championship next season and although I still feel sh*t at missing out, it cant be anything like what Leeds and incester must be feeling right now.

Sky Blue Wozza

Only time I’ve ever had coins thrown at me was at Filbert Street in 1998. Whelan scored a completely undeserved equaliser about 10 mins from time. Also barbed wire present in the away end.

Hobo

Only time I’ve ever had coins thrown at me was at Filbert Street in 1998. Whelan scored a completely undeserved equaliser about 10 mins from time. Also barbed wire present in the away end.
Lucky you - Derby, Leicester, Wolves, Birmingham, Villa, West Brom, Stoke, Port Vale, Cardiff, West Ham, Arsenal, Tottenham, Leeds, Man City, Man Utd....
Admittedly not always coins sometimes worse.
Skimmed roof slates at St Andrews.

Sky Blue Wozza

Lucky you - Derby, Leicester, Wolves, Birmingham, Villa, West Brom, Stoke, Port Vale, Cardiff, West Ham, Arsenal, Tottenham, Leeds, Man City, Man Utd....
Admittedly not always coins sometimes worse.
Skimmed roof slates at St Andrews.
Jeez! Fair enough, managed to stay away from many of the above named grounds. Roof slates sounds…well, scary!

My Grandad, god rest his soul, reckoned that Liverpool fans threw “spears” at us in the early 80s.

He also used to claim that he was the first white man to beat a black man in a 100m dash, so I took that claim with a pinch of salt.

Hobo

Jeez! Fair enough, managed to stay away from many of the above named grounds. Roof slates sounds…well, scary!

My Grandad, god rest his soul, reckoned that Liverpool fans threw “spears” at us in the early 80s.

He also used to claim that he was the first white man to beat a black man in a 100m dash, so I took that claim with a pinch of salt.
The derelict housing at back of away end at St Andrews provided plenty of objects to throw, especially roof slates.

Today's violence maybe more organised but sporadic. But in the 70s it was practically a full scale riot every week.

Smethwick railway station - police corralled fans so WBA could lob bricks over police cordon.

They were not nice days. Coming home meeting West Ham in Northampton and Leicester in Cambridge by accident was less than fun. A Times (aka Millwall brick) reading Millwall fan in Primrose Hill Park Coventry was best avoided.
Take a tabloid newspaper roll in as tight as you can from spine then bend it over in two. Now wack yourself on head with the bent fold. You will understand.

Sky Blue Wozza

The derelict housing at back of away end at St Andrews provided plenty of objects to throw, especially roof slates.

Today's violence maybe more organised but sporadic. But in the 70s it was practically a full scale riot every week.

Smethwick railway station - police corralled fans so WBA could lob bricks over police cordon.

They were not nice days. Coming home meeting West Ham in Northampton and Leicester in Cambridge by accident was less than fun. A Times (aka Millwall brick) reading Millwall fan in Primrose Hill Park Coventry was best avoided.
Take a tabloid newspaper roll in as tight as you can from spine then bend it over in two. Now wack yourself on head with the bent fold. You will understand.
When I was a kid in the late 80s, a guy was doing an extension on our house. On a Saturday he asked if I wanted to go and watch Birmingham v Barnsley with him (I know, how could I resist??)
Was struck by how much of St Andrew’s resembled building site, so can imagine slate being used as a weapon…

Sky Blue Wozza

Other than the Leicester incident, probably the most scared I’ve been at football was walking back to Cov station after a game against Liverpool (mid 90s). Was caught in a group of Irish Liverpool fans singing pro-IRA songs.

MacReady

I live in Leicester and have to say - having lived around the country the Leicester fans are by far the most arrogant I’ve come across. The obsession they have with trying to find a ‘rival’ is a joke. They’ve tried Forest, Derby, Cov… they’ll likely have to settle with MK Dons.

Sorry to sound like a knob I just find them so up their own @rses.

croatskyblue

I am old enough to remember this one against them

their fans bought 200 tickets in what they thought was our end, with bad intentions, but it was the upper tier of the west stand full of families so they ended up terrorising dads and kids. While this was going on there was a mass brawl on the pitch with both sides pouring on and the match was stopped, it was mayhem

those days have long gone thankfully but there will be a real edge to this match

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpeg
    IMG_0527.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 36

Sick Boy

their fans bought 200 tickets in what they thought was our end, with bad intentions, but it was the upper tier of the west stand full of families so they ended up terrorising dads and kids. While this was going on there was a mass brawl on the pitch with both sides pouring on and the match was stopped, it was mayhem

those days have long gone thankfully but there will be a real edge to this match
Our away support has changed a bit since we last played them, I think they’ll be in for a bit of a surprise.

croatskyblue

Our away support has changed a bit since we last played them, I think they’ll be in for a bit of a surprise.

true, often tends to happen when a side experiences tough times.

they were as quiet as mice every game until they dropped to league one, then when they came to the then Ricoh after coming back up they were louder and more boisterous than before (and Waghorn scored for them that day if memory serves)

it’ll be the same with us, they will be a bit complacent and expectant, but they’ll find us louder and more raucous than they remember

pusbccfc

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Don't talk to me about the Liverpool fans, some of the worst fans in country, after a game at Anfield in the late 70s they smashed nearly all the windows in our coach, had to take people to hospital, blood every where.

It was a night game, didn't get back to Cov until 5 in the morning. Scum bags.

croatskyblue

Most trouble I ever had personally was Sunderland when we beat them 5-0 in the cup, a lot of them left early and smashed all the windows in cars where my dad parked, and generally ran around like animals looking to attack anyone not decked out in red and white. Not bothered about the current pretend rivalry but always thought they were pricks since then

Boosh

Don't talk to me about the Liverpool fans, some of the worst fans in country, after a game at Anfield in the late 70s they smashed nearly all the windows in our coach, had to take people to hospital, blood every where.

It was a night game, didn't get back to Cov until 5 in the morning. Scum bags.

Those Liverpool/IRA/Celtic tramps are all the same. Scum of the Earth

Gleneagles65

84 match when latchford scored in a 2.0 win? I was at that match, fighting in all stands and fans with corner posts as weapons.

Gynnsthetonic

84 match when latchford scored in a 2.0 win? I was at that match, fighting in all stands and fans with corner posts as weapons.
Remember it well, the return fixture on the 23rd Dec was far worse. Running battles, shop windows smashed to get bottles as weapons then launched at full pelt, bricks thrown, bastards won 5-1 as well.

alexccfc99

As glad as I am Leicester have come down I soon remembered that we always get spanked at the King Power and we’ve no chance of getting in any pubs

in and out job

Users who are viewing this thread