leamington (1 Viewer)

First time I've seen Gael Bigirimana and I was very impressed. He ran the show in the middle there; he was everywhere.

rob9872

All relative but some of that was very poor. Platt even looked out of his depth at that level, R O'D failed to impress, we created little for them which is a worry but their movement and all round play was disappointing. I know it's only pre-season and that Leamington will have raised their game, but still a five league difference. Cameron made a few errors and looked not fit or sharp enough, the young full-backs (one scored) were poor particularly the right back. Gael ran the middle of the park. Would love to see him against better opposition, but always wanted the ball, passed it accurately and early and looks a real player. Shame about Deegs, no idea the extent of the injury, but he did walk away so hopefully only a precaution. Other positive note was despite giving the penalty away, McPake got through 90 minutes and looked fairly solid. Dunn took a couple of decent catches and set some quick attacks going, but not much to do. Would like him to haved been more vocal but then I could say that about most of them. Over all may only be pre-season and despite a good work-out and a win, it wasn't great.

cornoccfc

McPake bossed the defence, Deegan (til injury forced him off) and Gael was involved in every attacking move, Ruffles decent too.

Platt guilty of an awful miss.

Nonleagueherewecome

I know what you mean Rob, but I think you're being slightly harsh. I did find myself thinking "gees, Platt should be playing at lower than Leamingtons level"!

It's worth remembering that whilst the 1st XI haven't had 90 mins until last night, the same is true of the kids-and they aren't as good (Bigirimana aside). I thought Ruffles and Phillips showed great energy, but the big problem was that after Deegan went off we just didn't even have any know-how. We still kept the ball well, but couldn't find the final ball-and worked it from side-to-side too much to be penetrative. Something I think we may be saying a lot this season.

I did love Phillips run that took him from RW to LW. He's very raw, but that's to be expected at his age. Ruffles took his goal really well, showed some really good skill on the overlap, and-unless I'm mistaken-is a right-footed CM playing at LB? Swapping him with Brennan may have helped the balance a bit. I enjoyed an AT reprimand he gave him: after he hit the first defender with one cross, Thorn-fimly,not loudly, and in finest menacing cockney twang, -said "Oi. (Ruffles pretends not to hear). OI! (Ruffles hears). Yer better than that." (Ruffles looks sheepish) :)

McPake looked solid, and it didn't look a hand-ball to me. Ref was pretty shocking, but probably no more than every week at The Ricoh. Any fears that he can't play the passing game were dispelled. Cameron looked very creaky though.

Dunn threw the ball superbly, I'd say miles better than Westwood, so thats 2 'keepers with great distribution we've signed. But other than that didn't have much to do.

I've said in another thread what I thought of Deegan and Bigirimana; superb and the injury to Deegs is very worrying. The bloke is exactly the sort of player we need-he can pass, he can tackle, and-what I didn't expect-he can create. If anything he can be our ball-winner and ball-player all in one. Him, Bell, Sammy and Sheff in a midfield unit looks awesome on paper-add Gael, Baker and Thomas as backup and we might be ok.

Roy was a bit crap tonight, funky 2nd half back-heeled vollyed pass aside. Did anyone hear the Leam GK (Tony Breedon I assume?) call him a "Fucking shithead" 1st half in the filthiest Brummy accent ever? Possibly highlight of the game. Hilarious it was. He looked kinda sheepish at us all laughing at him after that, but pulled off a blinding 2nd half save.

I do have a concern that we have just one Championship quality striker, and he doesn't score goals :thinking about:

Last edited:

rob9872

That gk took him out in the corner so I imagine that's when it was but didn't hear it. Ref oddly gave us a corner. It was a free-kick or a goal-kick imo but never a corner although that happens at pre season I guess. I didn't think th eref had a particularly bad game as there was not much for him to do really, although I am biased as he is a mate of mine (United fan btw).

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah that was the incident, about 3 feet from where I was. It looked a pen to me! I had a much better view than the ref, though. If we'd had one of those FIFA 4th Officials behind the goal, we'd have got a pen. Ref wasn't that bad, I just had really good views of a few calls he got wrong I'd say.

I do like the ground and vibe, brilliant community spirit to it. I reckon I'll go up a lot more this season midweek when we aren't playing. Amazing to see how fat Ben Mackey has got! Considering he was a former Brakes player who (I assume) is on trial, having played a division above them the past few years, he got a hell of a hard time from his own fans. I think he's seen as a Judas for the way he left them. Anyone hear the "Let him die, let him die, let him die" song when he went down injured? And I thought we give McSheffrey a hard time!

Did anyone hear the Leam GK (Tony Breedon I assume?) call him a "Fucking shithead" 1st half in the filthiest Brummy accent ever? Possibly highlight of the game. Hilarious it was. He looked kinda sheepish at us all laughing at him after that, but pulled off a blinding 2nd half save.

:D Was that after he booted RoD instead of the ball as it was rolling out?

rob9872

Didn't hear that no. Sounds harsh. He is the same one yep as was talking to one of their die-hards. He did look chunky but this guy was pleased to have him back, said he had been at Corby. Oggy was chatting to him too, guess he was the age when Oggy was in the youth set up instead of the GK coach. I thought he still looked to have a decent touch and you could see he has played higher. Does he still hold our youngest ever player record?

Nonleagueherewecome

I think he does for the league-didn't some kid who came on against Morecambe break the overall record? Can't remember who he was but don't think he's figured-unless he was the No.14 kid. Yeah Mackey did look good-he's got a fantastic lower league goalscoring record, as has Berwick who buried the pen (Daventry hero, like 60+ goals the other year).

Husband also really impressed me for them, and Morley was strong at the back. I think they'll go up this year-they've been getting closer and closer last 2 seasons. A good workout for the kids, I'd say.

Oh and yes- "Was that after he booted RoD instead of the ball as it was rolling out?"-exactly, otherwise Roy would have got the ball! It was brilliant. He sounded like all those Brummy builders that are all over Leam :D

rob9872

Was Husband the number 7? If not I thought he was their stand-out player.

Nonleagueherewecome

Can't remember..I think that was Alex Taylor. Their forum is raving about him. But not as much as one bloke is about Bigirimana. Good to know he looks good to neutrals too. He just has that certain something..the touch, the way he moves, the passing vision...he's no way near the finished article, but boy doesn't he just look a footballer? You just know when you see someone like that for the first time. I think the Delph comparison I made after the Nuneaton game is fair-I think he's at that level already.

He just has that certain something..the touch, the way he moves, the passing vision...he's no way near the finished article, but boy doesn't he just look a footballer? You just know when you see someone like that for the first time. I think the Delph comparison I made after the Nuneaton game is fair-I think he's at that level already.

Good to hear someone's as excited about this lad as I am. My mates were getting sick of me banging on about "Biggy" :D
I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I think you've hit the nail on the head there. He had the same athleticism and composure you see in successful young Premiership players these days. He's the kind of player that will be sold as soon as the big guns get a sniff of him :(

Sky

Gael's a great lad, He has the right attitude and after watching him for years I'd say in the the future he will be capable of playing premier league football no doubt. Also other big clubs have been interested but he wants to stay at Cov

Sky

Haaa not too much, i was in the year below him at school, I'm not one of his closest friends or anything but we speak now and again ;)

Sky

He moved to cov when he was a kid joined the academy when he was about 12 I believe. All his family and friends live in cov and the last time I saw him was a couple of months ago when someone asked him who do you want to play for, to which he replied "are you serious?" and pointed at the Cov badge on my shirt

Great stuff. It'd be nice to have something good happen to the club so we can stand on our 2 feet and keep our young talent - at least for a few years of first team action. In my lifetime I've never seen it happen.

Bring on Hoff and all his wealthy friends. Sooner rather than later!

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Do you think Gail could cut it in the championship?

Yes I do. He's got a few things to learn, but his ability is stunning. He needs experience to know better what to do in certain situations, and there will be games where he finds it hard and old-heads teach him a few tough lessons. He is only 17. But in 6 months to a year we will have a cracking player on our hands. I'm not even worried about him making it in the top flight-if he keeps his head screwed on, he can go as far as he wants. England need a player in that Hargreaves position.

At the very least I'd rate him as good as those quality youngsters Palace produce every year (Watson, Moses, Bostock, Scannell). But if he was at a big 4 Premiership club, he'd still be considered one of their top prospects.

There's a few things that really stand out. His passing and technique are superb. He just pings the ball like proper players do. And I'd love to see his passing stats tonight-they'd be a bit like a Barce or Spain player, 54/57 or something ridiculous like that. A lot of his passing tonight was first touch-the ball kept moving. I don't know when I last saw a City midfielder do that quite so well. Oh yeah, Wise. Suddenly makes the Doyle and Carlsey debates on here look a bit silly! Every so often he plays a pass with the instep or outstep that doesn't really look right..like a trick, sort of disguised..and it looks strange..you know, like Brazilians and Italians do. They all worked perfectly :eek:

His movement-he doesn't stand and admire a pass, he follows it or sprints into space, "gives and goes", and takes up excellent positions. These tend to be behind the ball as that is the role (heard AT scream "drop in!" a few times), but in the RCM/LCM role I'd like to think he could dart forwards into gaps in a similar manner. Certainly adds a more dynamic element to the middle than Aron or Baker for me.

His stamina-he was on the ball almost constantly tonight, dictating the tempo, especially once his partner in crime Deegan went off and he had to carry the midfield himself. Every other pass came back to him, and he was probably on the ball whenever we had it within 5-10 seconds most of the time.

His desire-the 2 or 3 times he did misplace a pass, he sprinted back to close down space, force people wide or make a challenge. Very gutsy and driven.

His temperament-great credit to AT, SH and Rioch. He seems to know exactly what he's meant to be doing and is very self-assured and confident. He looks like he's loving every moment, and he smiles. Very charismatic, and looks like a leader of that young group.

He'll get more creative as he learns when to play the through ball-something Thomas is possibly ahead of him with, and Sammy, Bell, Sheff and Deegan certainly are. He wasn't helped tonight by some good Brakes defending and inexperienced teamates-with Bell, Keogh, Hussey and Sheff moving for him tonight he'd have had a field day.

And something else..the way he moves: his balance is incredible, a bit like a basket-ball player. Several times tonight he was crowded out and with a couple of sways of the hips just ducked and glided past men into space, as if they wern't there. And there were times tonight in the second half as the other players tired where you got the feeling he could have just kept running past the entire Leamington defence, but he knows he won't be able to do that every week, it serves no purpose, so he stuck to the pass-and-move gameplan to the letter. I'd like to see him run with the ball a bit more, as I think he has the grace, skill & pace to beat a man-and he doesn't quite realise it yet.

OK it was Nuneaton and Leamington..but the only players I've seen anywhere near his class this preseason are Sammy and Deegan, probably followed by Hussey & Christie. I can't ever remember a City youngster in this class, although my dad is probably screaming "DANNY THOMAS!" :D

Ahhhhh...positivity!

Last edited:

TheSnoz

Nonleague, thanks for outlining this player's qualities in such fine detail. Think you've made a few more people aware of some very good news for the club. Yes, recall how Danny Thomas just stepped up to first team action. I recall he wasn't especially outstanding in the reserves but seemed to come alive when he got his first team chance. What sort of physique is he? How Tall? With him and Thomas we have to remind ourselves these lads are not yet 18. But used by the manager with sense, they could be an asset - even this season? No?

rob9872

Yes I do. He's got a few things to learn, but his ability is stunning. He needs experience to know better what to do in certain situations, and there will be games where he finds it hard and old-heads teach him a few tough lessons. He is only 17. But in 6 months to a year we will have a cracking player on our hands. I'm not even worried about him making it in the top flight-if he keeps his head screwed on, he can go as far as he wants. England need a player in that Hargreaves position.

At the very least I'd rate him as good as those quality youngsters Palace produce every year (Watson, Moses, Bostock, Scannell). But if he was at a big 4 Premiership club, he'd still be considered one of their top prospects.

There's a few things that really stand out. His passing and technique are superb. He just pings the ball like proper players do. And I'd love to see his passing stats tonight-they'd be a bit like a Barce or Spain player, 54/57 or something ridiculous like that. A lot of his passing tonight was first touch-the ball kept moving. I don't know when I last saw a City midfielder do that quite so well. Oh yeah, Wise. Suddenly makes the Doyle and Carlsey debates on here look a bit silly! Every so often he plays a pass with the instep or outstep that doesn't really look right..like a trick, sort of disguised..and it looks strange..you know, like Brazilians and Italians do. They all worked perfectly :eek:

His movement-he doesn't stand and admire a pass, he follows it or sprints into space, "gives and goes", and takes up excellent positions. These tend to be behind the ball as that is the role (heard AT scream "drop in!" a few times), but in the RCM/LCM role I'd like to think he could dart forwards into gaps in a similar manner. Certainly adds a more dynamic element to the middle than Aron or Baker for me.

His stamina-he was on the ball almost constantly tonight, dictating the tempo, especially once his partner in crime Deegan went off and he had to carry the midfield himself. Every other pass came back to him, and he was probably on the ball whenever we had it within 5-10 seconds most of the time.

His desire-the 2 or 3 times he did misplace a pass, he sprinted back to close down space, force people wide or make a challenge. Very gutsy and driven.

His temperament-great credit to AT, SH and Rioch. He seems to know exactly what he's meant to be doing and is very self-assured and confident. He looks like he's loving every moment, and he smiles. Very charismatic, and looks like a leader of that young group.

He'll get more creative as he learns when to play the through ball-something Thomas is possibly ahead of him with, and Sammy, Bell, Sheff and Deegan certainly are. He wasn't helped tonight by some good Brakes defending and inexperienced teamates-with Bell, Keogh, Hussey and Sheff moving for him tonight he'd have had a field day.

And something else..the way he moves: his balance is incredible, a bit like a basket-ball player. Several times tonight he was crowded out and with a couple of sways of the hips just ducked and glided past men into space, as if they wern't there. And there were times tonight in the second half as the other players tired where you got the feeling he could have just kept running past the entire Leamington defence, but he knows he won't be able to do that every week, it serves no purpose, so he stuck to the pass-and-move gameplan to the letter. I'd like to see him run with the ball a bit more, as I think he has the grace, skill & pace to beat a man-and he doesn't quite realise it yet.

OK it was Nuneaton and Leamington..but the only players I've seen anywhere near his class this preseason are Sammy and Deegan, probably followed by Hussey & Christie. I can't ever remember a City youngster in this class, although my dad is probably screaming "DANNY THOMAS!" :D

Ahhhhh...positivity!

Great analysis mate.

I'm worried about 'bigging him up' too much or suggesting the idea that he has already made it, but iits hard not to be excited when we see such promise from one of our own. If he and Conor can step up and maybe one or two more, I would love nothing more than to see 'our' lads achieveing with us.

We can identify withthem more easily, fans will be more patient and this could be the trump card for SISU or Hoffman or any other prospective buyer, because it's probably the one thing that can get a significant upturn in attendances on the proviso that we don't off-load them to the first bidder.

The next part I'm reluctant to say, because such comparisons are dangerous, but the way he found space (always looking around him to see what space he had) coupled with his passing ability, was reminiscent of Scholes. If he can play further forward and add goals (I understand he takes a decent free-kick too) then he could go all the way.

smileycov

Facebook User
Nonleague, cheers for that.....i am really looking forward to Fester now. Hopefully he gets more game time, sounds a dream for us.
Anyone know the Leamington fan site that were talking about the game?

Nonleagueherewecome

Nonleague, thanks for outlining this player's qualities in such fine detail. Think you've made a few more people aware of some very good news for the club. Yes, recall how Danny Thomas just stepped up to first team action. I recall he wasn't especially outstanding in the reserves but seemed to come alive when he got his first team chance. What sort of physique is he? How Tall? With him and Thomas we have to remind ourselves these lads are not yet 18. But used by the manager with sense, they could be an asset - even this season? No?

He's not very tall, but is strong for his size (as is Wilson, incidently). Yes, I think he'll definitely play a part this season. He'd be a very good substitute at least already and seems to have the pure natural ability to just step right in and play at our level now. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him start 20-25 games this season-they give the quality youngsters a chance at Watford and Palace, why not Coventry City? We have been known for it ourselves in previous eras. He'll make mistakes, as all youngsters do, but he'll learn from them and contribute plent of positives in the meantime. I'm sure of that.

Yes Rob, I did text the Scholes word to my brother last night (I thought it was a bit too hype for on here!). Another player he does really remind me of is the teenage Nigel Reo Coker. Now there's a guy who didn't fulfill his potential. As a youngster at Wimbledon and West Ham, he looked quality. Wimbledon skipper at 18. (Anyone remember the goal against us where he ran the length of the pitch?). Funny enough, I heard Coyle desribing him on SSN yesterday; he could have been talking about Gael. Strength, range of passing, awareness. I'd back Coyle to get Reo Coker back to what he used to be. But whilst he has lost his way (long-ball tactics and manager spats), I don't think Gael will; he seems a very level headed young man. Here's hoping!

Nonleagueherewecome

I'm from Rugby (well, a village the Coventry side of Rugby), live in Leamington, support Coventry but have a soft spot for both Rugby Town and The Brakes. I thoroughly enjoyed last night, cracking little ground. I'll be going up The New Windmill more often next season when City aren't playing at the same time.

My colleague says we were lucky-their best player was injured. Jacob Blyth woulda given us problems, she reckons...

Users who are viewing this thread