League Two stats.... (1 Viewer)

steve82

Since the leagues rebranding to league two in 2004/05 season the stats on sides bouncing back from relegation to league one are...

Champions....
Of the sides relegated from league one in the last 12 seasons only 2 sides have bounced back up as champions, Swindon in 11/12 season and Walsall 06/07.

Runners up.....
3 sides have bounced back up as runners up, Hartlepool in 06/07 season, (to Walsall see above) Scunthorpe in 13/14 season and Shrewsbury in 14/15 season

3rd spot....
3 sides have finished 3rd in the final automatic spot Swindon in 06/07 (3rd to Walsall 1st, and Hartlepool 2nd) and Doncaster after leading the league for most the season, 16/17 season

Playoff success....
2 sides have won promotion via the play offs, Blackpool 16/17 season and Gillingham 08/09

In the last 12 seasons of the 48 clubs relegated from league one only 10 have immediately returned to league one the following season and in 6 seasons no relegated side bounced back up the next season.

Come back stronger.....
Gillingham are the only side of those 10 promoted clubs to be relegated following promotion via the play offs (08/09) back to league two 09/10 season finishing 21st.

The unthinkable, Relegation....
More worryingly 3 sides suffered back to back relegations from league one to the national league/conference.
Tranmere relegated 13/14 from league one, and league two 14/15
Stockport relegated 09/10 from league one and league two 10/11
Luton relegated 07/08 from league one and league two 08/09

Worse still....
in those 12 seasons of sides initially relegated from league one, 8 sides are now non league clubs they are:- Torquay, Wrexham, Hartlepool, Dagenham, Tranmere, Leyton Orient, Stockport and Hereford.

*been a very productive night shift.....

Last edited:

st john

I'm not too bothered whether we finish 1,2, or 3 as long as we get promoted. The bookies seem to think we have a good chance.

no_loyalty

Since the leagues rebranding to league two in 2004/05 season the stats on sides bouncing back from relegation to league one are...

3rd spot....
Only 2 sides have finished 3rd in the final automatic spot Swindon in 06/07 (3rd to Walsall 1st, and Hartlepool 2nd)

Is the other one Doncaster? (last season)

steve82

Is the other one Doncaster? (last season)

Sorry yes, your quite right!
Cannot believe i didn't notice my error. I'll make the amendments
School boy error....

Doncaster promoted in 3rd spot after chucking the league away in the last 6/7 games. 16/17 season.

steve82

I think we would all settle for that this season

I hear what your saying, I'm possibly a bit more selfish and say I'd be happy but disappointed if we finished 2nd or 3rd as I want the title, or that successful day at Wembley again.

I'd take 2nd or 3rd obviously but I'd like the glory aspect too.
Greedy I know!! But we deserve it.

steve82

*Back at work

2nd season success....
In the last 12 seasons 8 sides won promotion in their second season in league two year after relegation from league one.
Stockport relegated 04/05 promoted 07/08 playoff winners
MK Dons relegated 05/06 promoted 07/08(1st)
Brentford relegated 06/07 promoted 08/09(1st)
Bournemouth relegated 07/08 promoted 9/10(2nd)
Crewe relegated 08/09 promoted 10/11 playoff winners
Chesterfield relegated 11/12 promoted 13/14(1st)
Rochdale relegated 11/11 promoted 13/14(3rd)
Bury relegated 12/13 promoted 14/15(3rd)

Adge

Just finishing in the top 7 will do! I see that still being a big ask at the minute. But if we can find that striker.....

no_loyalty

Just finishing in the top 7 will do! I see that still being a big ask at the minute. But if we can find that striker.....

I know he is only a kid, but I think Ponticelli could be that lethal striker, he is a natural goal scorer

steve82

I know he is only a kid, but I think Ponticelli could be that lethal striker, he is a natural goal scorer

We've a few possibilities around the squad that may not get to the "20 goal striker" every manager wants but we've one or two that could go close.

Greg Moorhouse looks like a exciting prospect just like Ponticelli.
Biamou and McNulty have the potential to get 10-15 goals each while a Vincenti and any other player yet to arrive could chip in with vital goals.

Portsmouth got promoted with a top goalscorer in the league who scored 13. So it's all doable if players are chipping in with the goals. To me that's better than relying on one man

Adge

We've a few possibilities around the squad that may not get to the "20 goal striker" every manager wants but we've one or two that could go close.

Greg Moorhouse looks like a exciting prospect just like Ponticelli.
Biamou and McNulty have the potential to get 10-15 goals each while a Vincenti and any other player yet to arrive could chip in with vital goals.

Portsmouth got promoted with a top goalscorer in the league who scored 13. So it's all doable if players are chipping in with the goals. To me that's better than relying on one man
Yep goals scored from all areas could be the key.

steve82

The sky blues are the best disciplined side according to the officials in league two with just a single yellow card in 4 games which was awarded to Jodi Jones reacting to a stamp on his hand at Grimsby.

Staying with Grimsby they have seen a staggering 4 red cards issued this season with one dismissal in each league game. 3 for 2nd yellows and one straight red.

Our next league opponents Chesterfield are lacking discipline too currently with 8 yellow cards and 2 straight red cards issued.

vow

Hi Steve.

StattoBBC_468x312.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread