league one is now a lot weaker than last season (2 Viewers)

FinnishSkyBlue

i'm glad that charlton, sheffield w and huddersfield got promoted, they would have been up there again this season.

just checked our promotion rivals sheffield united's squad list and not too worried about them right now: only decent players are lee williamson, stephen quinn, neill collins.. and if micky doyle is again their captain that really says it all.. the spine of team is a bit old and past it with cresswell, morgan, montgomery etc. and with evans in jail they don't have a striker to score goals, chris porter got 5 in 30+ games last season. of course they'll probably sign a few more players because with that squad they won't be a threat for city.

pompey are in a mess, but doncaster will probably challenge for a top 6 finish. and mk dons usually does well but not enough for promotion.. not too many title contenders springs to my mind. i expect thorn to sign a few more... and not finishing at least in top 6 would surely be a massive underachievement. but with city, you never know...

blueflint

agree to some degree but still unknown quantity imo other clubs have strenthened so may see difference at top

Yorkshire SB

Yeah I agree it's definitely weaker than last year, and we're fortunate with that. I honestly believe that if we sign a striker with goal scoring pedigree from this level that we will win the League. I think Swindon, MK Dons and Sheffield United will be up there, but I see no reason why we can't do it, our squad is stronger than all three of theirs in my opinion, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

skybluedaze

i'm glad that charlton, sheffield w and huddersfield got promoted, they would have been up there again this season.

just checked our promotion rivals sheffield united's squad list and not too worried about them right now: only decent players are lee williamson, stephen quinn, neill collins.. and if micky doyle is again their captain that really says it all.. the spine of team is a bit old and past it with cresswell, morgan, montgomery etc. and with evans in jail they don't have a striker to score goals, chris porter got 5 in 30+ games last season. of course they'll probably sign a few more players because with that squad they won't be a threat for city.

pompey are in a mess, but doncaster will probably challenge for a top 6 finish. and mk dons usually does well but not enough for promotion.. not too many title contenders springs to my mind. i expect thorn to sign a few more... and not finishing at least in top 6 would surely be a massive underachievement. but with city, you never know...

I agree. Sheff United will struggle. Williamson is out of contract and looking for a new club. He might re-sign. Stephen Quinn's off to Leeds. Without them they will struggle to create. Lowton went to Villa and Maguire might be off to Leicester. Everyone else is past it. Porter's no good. Doncaster and Swindon will suprise. MK Dons will be strong. Sky Blues have nothing to fear. Prediction: Champions!

skybluegod

doyle was immense last season i saw him a few times and he was great and my sheffield utd friends really rate him

CovLis86

Really we have to be aiming for a playoff spot, and be happy if we get it in my opinion. There are still some strong squads with League 1 experience down here. We are going to get caught out plenty of times.

CovLis86

I hope not! Was only good when playing along side Wise!

As posted above, he had a great season last year with Sheff Utd. This is the perfect league for him. Battle hard, dont need that much quality on short pass. I would gladly take him back for this league.

stupot07

As posted above, he had a great season last year with Sheff Utd. This is the perfect league for him. Battle hard, dont need that much quality on short pass. I would gladly take him back for this league.

He also won promotion with Leeds, and finished 3rd last season with Sheff utd. He knows the league.

Astute

You are all forgetting a club that could do very well in this division. A club bigger than just about all the rest. Great fans with a great away support. A strong squad for where they are.

Us

mattylad

I would be suprised if were not in the top four, and champions is not out of the question with portsmouths points deduction. It will be all about consistencey.

skybluebeduff

And that my friend is where we need to learn, preserve, and keep it going for more than 1 season and that is 'consistency'

Grendel

I am always very suspicious of transfer sites but one I use that shows us as pretty much corrects says Sheffield have released 10 and signed one free transfer.

S

SkyBlue Baker96

Serch Craig beattie in Wikipedia. Apparently he is a cov player. Wtf is that our secret signing
It's like as soon as we get linked with a player or it is mentioned , he automatically becomes our player... wonder if we ever mentioned messi he would become a coventry player ;)

Grendel

Current Transfer Activity in League One

According to one transfer website here are the ins and outs of transfers to date. Most ae reducing their squads;

In Out Variance Fees
Bournmouth 4 5 -1 -827000
Brentford 5 8 -3
Bury 4 9 -5
Carlisle 2 2 0
Colchester 3 5 -2
Crawley 8 9 -1 -1100000
Crewe 4 10 -6 -6600000
Doncaster 5 8 -3
Hartlepool 3 7 -4
Leyton 8 9 -1
MK Dons 3 1 2
Notts County 9 14 -5
Oldham 6 14 -8
Portsmouth 6 11 -5 -1773000
PNE 14 20 -6 -1 -67000
Scunthorpe 5 9 -4
Sheff Utd 1 10 -9 -3300000
Shrewsbury 9 8 1
Stevenge 10 15 -5 -997000
Swindon 7 13 -6 -79200
Tranmere 7 9 -2
Walsall 3 12 -9 -26400
Yeovill 10 12 -2

Coventry 7 7 0

Coventry's declared fees is -£1.1 for Bigiamara and undislosed for Keogh.

No one in League One has signed a player for a declared fee.

stupot07

That doesn't include nimely and Norwood. And before you say they were not our players nimely in particular was brought in to replace Juke.

Grendel

That doesn't include nimely and Norwood. And before you say they were not our players nimely in particular was brought in to replace Juke.

No as loans are excluded if they left at the end of the season. Applies though to every team I would think wouldn't it?

Astute

So how do you count the loans we have brought in for this season so far?

Grendel

My analysis includes loans this season but not those ended at the end of last season. This applies to all 24 teams though. It shows most clubs are reducing squads and no club is spending money on transfers. We have to achieve promotion on this basis.

stupot07

I would count them as ins. Both nimely and Norwood were in the starting line up for the majority of the second half of last season and were pivotal members of the squad, therefore you have to include them as players that have left.

stupot07

My analysis includes loans this season but not those ended at the end of last season. This applies to all 24 teams though. It shows most clubs are reducing squads and no club is spending money on transfers. We have to achieve promotion on this basis.

Is that because they are undisclosed fees or freebies?

Grendel

Is that because they are undisclosed fees or freebies?

Hardly any are undisclosed or unknown at least 90% are free and most of the rest unknown.

Users who are viewing this thread