League 1 (1 Viewer)

SleepyGinger

Looking at league 1 table Sunderland, Pompey and Ipswich all out of the play off places. The league looks a lot stronger than we won it. Only really remember seeing Rotherham and Peterborough and Sunderland as realistic title contenders for most the season. We done well to get out of it when we did.

clint van damme

Looking at league 1 table Sunderland, Pompey and Ipswich all out of the play off places. The league looks a lot stronger than we won it. Only really remember seeing Rotherham and Peterborough and Sunderland as realistic title contenders for most the season. We done well to get out of it when we did.

Wednesday as well.
Though Ipswich and Wednesday in good form and I think they'll make a real challenge for the play offs, Sunderland look like they're going to blow it again.

higgs

Wednesday as well.
Though Ipswich and Wednesday in good form and I think they'll make a real challenge for the play offs, Sunderland look like they're going to blow it again.
Wednesday and Ipswich are closing the gap over the last few weeks wouldn't be surprised to see them over take Plymouth and Wycombe

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Top 2 (comfortably) this season, were both relegated from The Championship last season. Not inconceivable that the other team (Sheff Wed) might come back up too !

fernandopartridge

Just because they're big name clubs, I don't think they're necessarily of a superior quality to the top 6 when we were in the league. Peterborough pissed it last season and look where they are

Flying Fokker

Just because they're big name clubs, I don't think they're necessarily of a superior quality to the top 6 when we were in the league. Peterborough pissed it last season and look where they are
Bigger clubs have fallen further than that lot…can you think of any?

SleepyGinger

There was a lot more easy games when we won the league, there’s about 12-15 really competitive teams in the league this season

napolimp

Plymouth looking good at the moment, wouldn't say the automatic spots are set in stone. I think Portsmouth are about to turn a corner as well.

Irish Sky Blue

There was a lot more easy games when we won the league, there’s about 12-15 really competitive teams in the league this season
I can’t remember any easy games. Every match was hard fought. I don’t understand why anyone would want to down play our achievement in winning that league, particularly by making comparisons that are hard to quantify.

CBS16

Some people have short memories. It was a very tough league when we were there, hence why we were out of the championship for 8 years! We were brilliant that season and ultimately won it at a canter. That squad would be title contenders any year in league one, tough as it is. We've come so so far in such a short time

Garryb80

I can’t remember any easy games. Every match was hard fought. I don’t understand why anyone would want to down play our achievement in winning that league, particularly by making comparisons that are hard to quantify.
Very true. One day we will win at Shrewsbury for example.

David O'Day

Both Manchester clubs and Everton and Chelsea were way down the leagues before the big money turned up

Everton have been in the top flight since 1954, United spent one season out of the top flight since WW2 and they won everything in the 1990s under the same ownership they had had since the 1960s

Mucca Mad Boys

The claim that the league has 12-15 teams that are competitive is a bit ridiculous. 12th placed Burton are 12 points adrift from the playoffs and 26 points off top.

League 1 is about as strong as it was when we were there.

slowpoke

Easy games ? Isn’t that statement just typical of a Cov fan We were by far the best team in the division especially once we got into our stride, Rotherham, Sunderland, Pompey & Ipswich we’re all put to the sword and had the season gone on I’m convinced we would have won the lot in front of us.
Just because you carry a traditional big name like Bolton Wanderers or Sheffield Wednesday doesn’t make the league better or tougher.

Evo1883

Looks that strong that Rotherham and Wigan, 2 middle of the road clubs in it are absolutely breezing it .

Big club doesn't equal good team , the league is shite

Sunderlands starting 11 today compared to 3 years ago on paper is alot weaker

Brighton Sky Blue

Looks that strong that Rotherham and Wigan, 2 middle of the road clubs in it are absolutely breezing it .

Big club doesn't equal good team , the league is shite

Sunderlands starting 11 today compared to 3 years ago on paper is alot weaker

Assuming they don’t go up next season will be their 5th in L1. At some point their fans have to accept that’s what their club is and then work on a way to go up that’s not chucking money at random names

Skyblueweeman

Sunderland have brought in Alex Neil. Good manager.

Once he gets settled, I think he'll get them back into the play offs.

Colin Steins Smile

Our team from the promotion season would be good enough to win that league again. The one thing that stood out during that season was our style of play versus the "hoof ball" of so many teams. We played a different class of football.
One example of that was the Portsmouth game at St.A's when we all shouted "hoof" every time Portsmouth passed the ball from the back.....inevitably over 5m in the air.

SBchimp

Wigan didn't get relegated last year

Wigan are a totally different prospect this year. They only just avoided relegation as they went through administration, a fire sale of the team and academy talent. New owners in place and they should be back with us next season.
Academy Manager Gregor Rioch :love: was involved with the first team throughout and played a big part in their survival success

Sky Blue Harry H

Sunderland have brought in Alex Neil. Good manager.

Once he gets settled, I think he'll get them back into the play offs.

I might have agreed, had they not got a defence that seems totally inept. They have a few youngsters playing - including a lad called Doyle from Man City, who by all accounts has had his confidence shattered, yet they either won't or can't drop him (don't know if they take a financial hit from Man City?) Also a left back called Cirkin, plus Corry Evans who get absolute pelters on their forum (Shippers x 10)

Users who are viewing this thread