Law firm trying to prevent Article 50 without act Parliament using SISU QC (1 Viewer)

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Just read article in the Guardian.

Seems as though a law firm is trying to ensure article 50 can ONLY be triggered through parliament.
That firm is going to use barrister Rhodri Thompson QC. Sound familiar?

Yes the same barrister used by Sisu companies.

The plot thickens.....

pipkin73

Great, means it could take years :)
For people like me living abroad in the EU brexit means we could have to move back to England if no agreement regarding freedom of movement.
I and millions more could lose everything as our businesses would be worth jack s++t.
I've been worried, but if a SISU barrister gets involved i should be ok for another 50 years lol.

pipkin73

FOR SALE!!! great value. Printing company for sale. Guaranteed weekly turnover pays for house on Puerto Rico beach. Was valued at over 150K now for sale for a season ticket at CCFC. BREXIT you gotta love it.... at least it means British Citizens being rehoused rather than foreigners, 2 million gone 5 millions brits abroad to come back. Should save you all a few quid

Grendel

Just read article in the Guardian.

Seems as though a law firm is trying to ensure article 50 can ONLY be triggered through parliament.
That firm is going to use barrister Rhodri Thompson QC. Sound familiar?

Yes the same barrister used by Sisu companies.

The plot thickens.....

It will have to be debated and sanctioned in parliament so I fail to see what point is being made here.

pipkin73

It will have to be debated and sanctioned in parliament so I fail to see what point is being made here.

How can you fail to see the point!! it was voted in by the people.
The goverment now have to react and carry out their will.
The only hope is they negotiate a good deal, prob is that if the UK get a good deal others will want to leave
so Brussels will do everything they can to screw us over.

SonofErnie

A few points here:
  • Yes it will have to be voted on in parliament, but they are there to act on the will of the people and will cause uproar if they don't
  • Screwing the UK from a trade perspective is a bad idea as they lose out more than us. Our Q1 deficit with EU countries was £24bn, mostly with the major economies of France and Germany. Any tariffs will apply on both sides.
  • A pragmatic approach will be taken regarding citizens who have already migrated. We/they won't want the upheaval it would cause

Astute

Great, means it could take years :)
For people like me living abroad in the EU brexit means we could have to move back to England if no agreement regarding freedom of movement.
I and millions more could lose everything as our businesses would be worth jack s++t.
I've been worried, but if a SISU barrister gets involved i should be ok for another 50 years lol.
All people already settled in countries within the EU will be allowed to stay as they moved legally.

pipkin73

All people already settled in countries within the EU will be allowed to stay as they moved legally.
Not so, the embassy has said it could take up to 2 years before this is sorted. If no treaty with Europe then we could have to move back to the UK.
All depends on any concessions/agreements made.

The Police out here are already saying you can't drive on your EU/GB lisence as they don't understand the law correctly. Out here the police think we have already left the EU and starting to give people shit.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
From the website of the legal firm acting for this action Mishcon de Reya
http://www.mishcon.com/news/firm_ne...e_to_ensure_parliamentary_involvement_07_2016

Article 50 process on Brexit faces legal challenge to ensure parliamentary involvement
Legal steps have been taken to ensure the UK Government will not trigger the procedure for withdrawal from the EU without an Act of Parliament. The case is being brought by leading law firm, Mishcon de Reya, on behalf of a group of clients. Following publication of articles on the subject this week Mishcon de Reya has retained Baron David Pannick QC and Tom Hickman to act as counsel in this action, along with Rhodri Thompson QC and Anneli Howard.

The Referendum held on 23 June was an exercise to obtain the views of UK citizens, the majority of whom expressed a desire to leave the EU. But the decision to trigger Article 50 of the Treaty of European Union, the legal process for withdrawal from the EU, rests with the representatives of the people under the UK Constitution.

The Government however, has suggested that it has sufficient legal authority. Mishcon de Reya has been in correspondence with the Government lawyers since 27 June 2016 on behalf of its clients to seek assurances that the Government will uphold the UK constitution and protect the sovereignty of Parliament in invoking Article 50.

If the correct constitutional process of parliamentary scrutiny and approval is not followed then the notice to withdraw from the EU would be unlawful, negatively impacting the withdrawal negotiations and our future political and economic relationships with the EU and its 27 Member States, and open to legal challenge. This legal action seeks to ensure that the Article 50 notification process is lawful.

Kasra Nouroozi, Partner, Mishcon de Reya said:

We must ensure that the Government follows the correct process to have legal certainty and protect the UK Constitution and the sovereignty of Parliament in these unprecedented circumstances. The result of the Referendum is not in doubt, but we need a process that follows UK law to enact it. The outcome of the Referendum itself is not legally binding and for the current or future Prime Minister to invoke Article 50 without the approval of Parliament is unlawful.

We must make sure this is done properly for the benefit of all UK citizens. Article 50 simply cannot be invoked without a full debate and vote in Parliament. Everyone in Britain needs the Government to apply the correct constitutional process and allow Parliament to fulfil its democratic duty which is to take into account the results of the Referendum along with other factors and make the ultimate decision.

Anyone wishing to support the action to ensure that the UK Constitution is upheld in this process should email [email protected].

I do think this thread should be in other Topics though

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Not necessarily. The thing people keep referring back to IIRC is the Vienna agreement. When in fact the Vienna agreement as we will no longer be in the EU may possibly have no legal standing in the UK. What also is unsure is the protection of rights. For instance, if your family moved here as a child, you were educated in the UK, English is your first language, you work your whole life in the UK and pay a lifetime of taxes in the UK but never legally become a UK citizen there will be no guarantee that you will be entitled to either NHS treatment FOC (not FOC strictly speaking as the Tax and NI they would have paid in would contribute to the running of) or a state pension. Just some of the many many details that will need ironing out. Leaving the EU is going to be a long and expensive process.

torchomatic

Any excuse to have a go at the club, I guess. This thread will inevitably lead onto lack of signings, quality of signings, season ticket prices, home ticket prices, away ticket prices, extras added onto ticket prices, home kit prices, away kit prices, club shop contents, club shop size, club shop staff, club shop location, club shop barrow we had a few years ago, , BPA ticket office, BPA ticket office staff, BPA ticket office opening times, CCFC twitter account, CCFC website, court cases, joy sepalla, "batter people in court", etc etc etc

Last edited:

pipkin73

Any excuse to have a go at the club, I guess. This thread will inevitably lead onto lack of signings, quality of signings, season ticket prices, home ticket prices, away ticket prices, extras added onto ticket prices, home kit prices, away kit prices, club shop contents, club shop size, club shop staff, club shop location, club shop barrow we had a few years ago, , BPA ticket office, BPA ticket office staff, BPA ticket office opening times, CCFC twitter account, CCFC website, court cases, joy sepalla, "batter people in court", etc etc etc
Good point, here is one you missed out. I used to go to games for free but now that i live in Gran Canaria i cant attend, so who is now using my free tickets and if i get forced to live back in Cov then can i have my free tickets back!!

dongonzalos

We are still in the human rights act and always will be irrelevant of this vote.
Another misconception of some who voted out purely to get away from this Act.
So if you have an established life in another country who also abide by the HRA
You are not going anywhere fast.

dongonzalos

You missed a few

Northampton
3 weeks away from land deal
New stadium and new academy
Legal action after legal action
Judge accusations of trying to drive down the price of ACL leading to the deal collapsing
Never coming back to Coventry unless we are outright owners of the Ricoh

I get your point though for some reason a lot of threads introduce these topics

martcov

We are still in the human rights act and always will be irrelevant of this vote.
Another misconception of some who voted out purely to get away from this Act.
So if you have an established life in another country who also abide by the HRA
You are not going anywhere fast.

Well no, we have a right as EU citizens to dual nationality. The Brits here are already applying for German citizenship and the government here actively encourages us.

martcov

You missed a few

Northampton
3 weeks away from land deal
New stadium and new academy
Legal action after legal action
Judge accusations of trying to drive down the price of ACL leading to the deal collapsing
Never coming back to Coventry unless we are outright owners of the Ricoh

I get your point though for some reason a lot of threads introduce these topics

Is it right that article 50 will be triggered in 3 weeks?

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Starting to wonder if he just takes on lost causes!

I had a slight belief he was doing us a favour appealing the SISU / council case. However, getting involved in Brexit is just laughable!

A decision has been made. The majority vote won. Shouldn't even be up for debate (as debatable as that last sentence is ;) )

Grendel

No they're not. We don't have direct democracy, we have representative democracy.

And the role of the government is to represent the will of the electorate. Which they will do.

martcov

And the role of the government is to represent the will of the electorate. Which they will do.
The difference being that, if the governing party takes us out, or keeps us in and it turns out they have made the wrong decision, we can vote them out for years to come. With the 'street' voting we end up hating each other, but have no political recourse.

martcov

Starting to wonder if he just takes on lost causes!

I had a slight belief he was doing us a favour appealing the SISU / council case. However, getting involved in Brexit is just laughable!

A decision has been made. The majority vote won. Shouldn't even be up for debate (as debatable as that last sentence is ;) )

A decision has not been made by parliament. The referendum was not binding. Whether 52% on the day was enough to change the future of the UK possibly for the worse, is certainly up for debate. Farage described this % result as 'unfinished business' . Let's see how quickly the recession starts - if it does.

Users who are viewing this thread