Laurie Cunningham Doco (1 Viewer)

Martin180

Anyone watch it ?

Brought back a lot of memories for me , i remember seeing Laurie 2-3 times live and for me he was the most exciting player of his era .He was my boyhood hero and for a time i think West Brom were every kids "second team"

We don`t produce wingers like Cunningham anymore and for me the game is poorer for it , there is nothing like a winger running at and beating players with skill and pace to get fans on their feet

Martin180

Is Bale a "proper" winger though ? Best player in the Prem no doubt but relies more on pace than sheer skill , nearest thing we had to Cunningham was Benno on top form

LJC_CCFC

Anyone watch it ?

Brought back a lot of memories for me , i remember seeing Laurie 2-3 times live and for me he was the most exciting player of his era .He was my boyhood hero and for a time i think West Brom were every kids "second team"

We don`t produce wingers like Cunningham anymore and for me the game is poorer for it , there is nothing like a winger running at and beating players with skill and pace to get fans on their feet

Yeah I suppose Aaron Lennon, Ashley Young, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Nathan Dyer have no pace and or skill

BrisbaneBronco

WBA had the 4 degrees. Batson, Regis, Cunningham and Moses. I remember the Man Utd 3 WBA 5 game great to watch again maybe Deano can post it.
Also remember WBA 7 City 1. Walked out at 4-1 and by the time I got outside they had scored 3 more.

rob9872

Reminds me of an old joke about three former man united players linked to spiders. It was Neil Webb, Paul Ince (incy wincy spider) and Laurrie Cunningham (beacuse he left a black widow)

rob9872

Does Leigh Jenkinson and his step-over fit anywhere on this thread?

torchomatic

Yeah, I saw it. Great stuff. He was a brilliant player.

CovisGod

Yeah I suppose Aaron Lennon, Ashley Young, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Nathan Dyer have no pace and or skill

That comment smacks of "I have no idea who your talking about so need to make a comment linking it to something current"

Also Ashley Young and The Ox have trouble getting first team football, Aaron Lennon is quick but can't cross a ball for toffee and Dyer looks good because he's at Swansea (like Young did at Villa)

Personal opinion of course.

CovisGod

Do you think think Dyer would be first choice in any of the top 4 teams ?

Infact a better question and one directed at my point, who would you prefer to have in your team, Nathan Dyer or Laurie Cunningham in his prime ?

CovisGod

Trouble is with young posters, they all think football was invented yesterday and the players that are around now are the best there has ever been which simply isn't the case

LJC_CCFC

That comment smacks of "I have no idea who your talking about so need to make a comment linking it to something current"

Also Ashley Young and The Ox have trouble getting first team football, Aaron Lennon is quick but can't cross a ball for toffee and Dyer looks good because he's at Swansea (like Young did at Villa)

Personal opinion of course.

Or I watched the Documentary and witnessed a great player who was years ahead of his time...but who only had good early success at Orient and was immense at WBA and for a time at Madrid, but then through injury etc did nothing else with his career apart from the FA Cup win with Wimbledon in which he played a very small part. You could liken his story to that of Michael Owen...boy wonder at 16 did great things with Liverpool and England, then moved to Madrid and his career has since floundered due to injury etc. The question is if Cunningham wasn't black would much have been made of his career or would he have been another nearly man if football we see so often. And as for covisgod's young posters comment I can tell you I have more knowledge of the game than you ever will

CovisGod

LJC you know as well as I do that isn't true, and this isn't some sort of contest on who knows more about football. Yeah fair play you watched the documentary, although I disagree entirely that he was seen as better than he was because he was black

LJC_CCFC

LJC you know as well as I do that isn't true, and this isn't some sort of contest on who knows more about football. Yeah fair play you watched the documentary, although I disagree entirely that he was seen as better than he was because he was black

Never said he was just asked the question...

covcity4life

Trouble is with young posters, they all think football was invented yesterday and the players that are around now are the best there has ever been which simply isn't the case

pretty sure i cannot be classed as young ,and dont assume so much

you sound like someone who pines about the old days and hates anything new

rupert_bear

You are talking a true footballing great in Laurie Cunningham, he would be almost instoppable in todays game with billiard table pitches and defenders unable to kick him to death. A sign on how good he was was Real Madrid bought him for a million quid, a huge sum and British players didn't get signed by the like of Real if they weren't a bit special. Became a cukt figure at Real and thats hard to become too. Would he be great in todays game ? Yes. But would he be allowed to be a devingstating winger ? no, coached out of him by the experts

Users who are viewing this thread