Latest transfer rumour (1 Viewer)

capel & collindridge

Just out of interest, may I ask where your user name comes from, please?
I first watched City as a six or seven year old in 1952-3 or 1953-4. I remember the first transfer excitement I ever felt when we signed Tommy Capel and Colin Collindridge as a double signing from Nottingham Forest in 1954. Both were past their best, but very decent professionals who had played regularly in the Second Division until coming to Highfield Road (it was just after we had been relegated to the Third Division South ourselves. I never saw Coventry in a higher league until we'd ceased to be the Bantams and were now Sky Blues). Tommy Capel scored 19 goals in 36 games for us playing inside left and Collindridge also was a goal scoring threat on the left wing. I think he always played on the left wing for us. It was his preferred position apparently, though he had sometimes been played as centre forward for Sheffield United between 1938 and 1950 where he scored a total of 52 goals in his 142 appearances for them. We did the same ourselves with another double signing later in the 1950s when we signed Jimmy Rogers and Jack Boxley in 1956 from Bristol City as our regular wingers, with Jimmy on the right and Jack on the left. But both were regular goalscorers and Jimmy Rogers ended up playing quite a number of successful games for us at centre forward.

Last edited:

Cov kid 55

I first watched City as a six or seven year old in 1952-3 or 1953-4. I remember the first transfer excitement I ever felt when we signed Tommy Capel and Colin Collindridge as a double signing from Nottingham Forest in 1954. Both were past their best, but very decent professionals who had played regularly in the Second Division until coming to Highfield Road (it was just after we had been relegated to the Third Division South ourselves. I never saw Coventry in a higher league until we'd ceased to be the Bantams and were now Sky Blues). Tommy Capel scored 19 goals in 36 games for us playing inside left and Collindridge also was a goal scoring threat on the left wing. I think he always played on the left wing for us. It was his preferred position apparently, though he had sometimes been played as centre forward for Sheffield United between 1938 and 1950 where he scored a total of 52 goals in his 142 appearances for them. We did the same ourselves with another double signing later in the 1950s when we signed Jimmy Rogers and Jack Boxley in 1956 from Bristol City as our regular wingers, with Jimmy on the right and Jack on the left. But both were regular goalscorers and Jimmy Rogers ended up playing quite a number of successful games for us at centre forward.
Thank you my friend, very interesting, and respect to you for your long standing devotion to the cause - and your stickability!!!!

capel & collindridge

Sadly, it's an not a curable sickness. it is seen occasionally in euphoric Saturday evenings but more often in months of unbroken depression. They're working on it at the Human Genome project but say that they expect to find a cure for all forms of cancer before getting close to finding a cure for chronic skyblueosis (not to confused with compulsive skyblueotis which seems to be a compulsive posting condition, relieved by wit and a consistently good sense of humour).

Captain Dart

Users who are viewing this thread