Latest: Fisher says 'no chance' of CCFC playing at Ricoh (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

Odd that the club itself didn't have a major problem with the "council fleecing us" for so long. When there's nothing being said about such a thing, and when the damage done by the rent is but a drop in the ocean compared to the club's owners mis-management, that's why there wasn't a fan protest. It wouldn't have been any different at Pompey or any other club. What is being done to us now by the owners-that's what deserves fans protest! Calling your fellow-fans "absolute jokers" for protesting now but not about the council before is missing the point, very divisive and not at all constructive.

covmark

It's funny how all those who say things like 'we need to fight, no way pompey fans would have been so indifferent etc....' fail to point out that there is not a chance in hell that pompey fans would have allowed their local council to fleece their club so brazenly for so long. Not a fecking chance. Where were you rabble-rousers then? Nowhere. We should all fight for our football club of course - but its also funny that many of those saying we need to start direct action are also the ones calling for there to be a breakaway club.

So, you care about the club THAT much that your first instinct when things go tits up is to start a NEW club? Absolute jokers.

Most sense I've read on here for days

covmark

Odd that the club itself didn't have a major problem with the "council fleecing us" for so long. When there's nothing being said about such a thing, and when the damage done by the rent is but a drop in the ocean compared wto the club's owners mis-management, that's why there wasn't a fan protest. It wouldn't have been any different at Pompey or any other club. What is being done to us now by the owners-that's what deserves fans protest! Calling your fellow-fans "absolute jokers" for protesting now but not about the council before is missing the point, very divisive and not at all constructive.

Jokers is pretty tame compared to some of the insults that have been thrown about

Samo

It's funny how all those who say things like 'we need to fight, no way pompey fans would have been so indifferent etc....' fail to point out that there is not a chance in hell that pompey fans would have allowed their local council to fleece their club so brazenly for so long. Not a fucking chance. Where were you rabble-rousers then? Nowhere. We should all fight for our football club of course - but its also funny that many of those saying we need to start direct action are also the ones calling for there to be a breakaway club.

So, you care about the club THAT much that your first instinct when things go tits up is to start a NEW club? Absolute jokers.

The club signed up for it you tool! And I don't remember being consulted!

Nonleagueherewecome

Jokers is pretty tame compared to some of the insults that have been thrown about

Oh agreed, but it's more the mis-direction that gets my goat than the actual phraseology.

oakey

It's funny how all those who say things like 'we need to fight, no way pompey fans would have been so indifferent etc....' fail to point out that there is not a chance in hell that pompey fans would have allowed their local council to fleece their club so brazenly for so long. Not a fecking chance. Where were you rabble-rousers then? Nowhere. We should all fight for our football club of course - but its also funny that many of those saying we need to start direct action are also the ones calling for there to be a breakaway club.

A total misrepresentation of views expressed.
1) hardly anyone knew anything about the rent until a year or so back so how could we prevent or protest about it? If we had known what could ordinary fans do about a legal debt?
2) Nobody's first instinct is to start a new club. What a ridiculous comment.

theferret

Oh come on, it has long been known that the club have been unhappy with the arrangement. Just because an agreement was made under previous owners doesn't make it right. SISU's biggest error was that they didn't put this issue to bed early on. That is their fault of course.

I'm all for taking the fight to SISU to save our club - but the fact remains that if we (the fans) had put pressure on ACL and had backed the club's stance once the rent issue came to the fore, we probably wouldn't be where we are now. I will never understand how so many people became so obsessed with ridding the club of SISU that they actually sided with a completely separate corporate entity, even at the point when it went to court to put the club out of business - unbelievable - I don't know of another club where that would have happened. Perhaps it would have, and football fans generally are stupid.

oakey

Oh come on, it has long been known that the club have been unhappy with the arrangement. Just because an agreement was made under previous owners doesn't make it right. SISU's biggest error was that they didn't put this issue to bed early on. That is their fault of course.

I'm all for taking the fight to SISU to save our club - but the fact remains that if we (the fans) had put pressure on ACL and had backed the club's stance once the rent issue came to the fore, we probably wouldn't be where we are now. I will never understand how so many people became so obsessed with ridding the club of SISU that they actually sided with a completely separate corporate entity, even at the point when it went to court to put the club out of business - unbelievable - I don't know of another club where that would have happened. Perhaps it would have, and football fans generally are stupid.
Simply because some of us could see that the club were in the wrong, legally, and some thought, morally as well.
Secondly, because many of us suspected it could not end well. We were right. I cannot side with owners who will not pay what they owe, do not care about the club, at all, as far as I can see.

wingy

Where would we be then had we done SISU's work for them ?

Were you outside the Council house six years ago before these Cretinns got their hands on us ?
They are failed due to their own ineptitude!!
I will back any new owner that secures every advantage from the Stadium for the club on the way in,not to walk off into the sunset with .

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, I mean, bailing out a company under threat by a contract breaking hedge fund to offer said hedge fund more concessions? Bastards.

theferret

Simply because some of us could see that the club were in the wrong, legally, and some thought, morally as well.
Secondly, because many of us suspected it could not end well. We were right. I cannot side with owners who will not pay what they owe, do not care about the club, at all, as far as I can see.

And therein lies the difference between the mentality of our supporters and those of other clubs.

Every other club that has sought to dispute the rent charged in a council run/owned facility have had the full backing of their supporters. Ipswich fans united behind the club and the council backed down and stopped court proceedings. Doncaster council gifted their stadium to the football club.

The legal and moral case went out of the window in those instances because the owners (and fans) of those clubs argued successfully that the club was worth much more to the local community and economy that the proceeds from rent - rents that were seen to be holding those clubs back. Just read some of the comments from the council leader in Swansea when it was suggested Swansea City should pay more. The difference in attitude is utterly staggering. If only we had a council leader with that sort of foresight.

I understand that things were slightly different here in that we had owners nobody liked or trusted. Fine, but I'm not going to stand by and say nothing in reply to some of the utterly pathetic comments earlier in this thread and on others today suggesting that those who sided with the club in the rent dispute and who didn't start protesting against SISU early last season are somehow culpable for the mess we are now in. Absolute tosh.

Brighton Sky Blue

If you believe the rent has actually even crossed Timmy Twat's mind then that is also 'tosh'. Even now he openly lies about being locked out of the ground and some back his stance.

Godiva

If only we had a council leader with that sort of foresight.

Coventry have a new council leader - maybe she would listen to the fans (Trust?) if they ask her what she intends to do to solve the acl/ccfc crisis.

theferret

If you believe the rent has actually even crossed Timmy Twat's mind then that is also 'tosh'. Even now he openly lies about being locked out of the ground and some back his stance.

Who is backing his stance? Not seen anyone openly support it. Perhaps you could enlighten me, because these people don't exist from what I have seen.

The point I am making is simply this; that on the rent dispute the club were right, and on that issue alone I and others backed them, and had others been onside the outcome might have been different and we might be today discussing our prospects for next season and whether or not we are going to renew STs etc.

Of course, SISU could always have paid up and continued to make their case and lobby for further reductions. Why they didn't do that and allowed things to escalate like they did only they can answer. SISU are to blame for where we are now, and I want them out asap. Nothing would make me happier.

Samo

And therein lies the difference between the mentality of our supporters and those of other clubs.

Every other club that has sought to dispute the rent charged in a council run/owned facility have had the full backing of their supporters. Ipswich fans united behind the club and the council backed down and stopped court proceedings. Doncaster council gifted their stadium to the football club.

The legal and moral case went out of the window in those instances because the owners (and fans) of those clubs argued successfully that the club was worth much more to the local community and economy that the proceeds from rent - rents that were seen to be holding those clubs back. Just read some of the comments from the council leader in Swansea when it was suggested Swansea City should pay more. The difference in attitude is utterly staggering. If only we had a council leader with that sort of foresight.

I understand that things were slightly different here in that we had owners nobody liked or trusted. Fine, but I'm not going to stand by and say nothing in reply to some of the utterly pathetic comments earlier in this thread and on others today suggesting that those who sided with the club in the rent dispute and who didn't start protesting against SISU early last season are somehow culpable for the mess we are now in. Absolute tosh.

Slightly different? This is an owner deliberatly attempting to distress it's landlord, force it into admin and pick up a stadium on the cheap. It has nothing to with football, there is no regard for jobs, lives supporters or anything else. This is a nasty greedy little business going all out to get hold of an asset.

Senior Vick from Alicante

These people should not be allowed to run up debt on a company that they have not invested in and every City fan has the right to protest against their posturing and lies. All they had to do was pay 600,000 to ACL and instead they are looking at spending 40 million on a new stadium to get an extra 10 grand a home match in revenue, absolute bollocks. This should make the league change its fit and propper test completly from now on so shady companys like SISU are never let near any football club again, that may be the only bright spot to come out of this whole sorry saga. People still wanted sisu out of the club because of all the miss management and lies as well as the millions in management charges levelled against the club, they just rallied behind the first thing to stand up to them which was ACL. You could have been a concientious objecter in the war but it didnt stop you getting shot you were still the enemy, thats what sisu are they have no defence they have not looked after the interest of the club the fans just themselves. Please dont try to defend the indefensible. 7000 people have signed a petition to keep the club in the city are they all wrong in the judgement, this City and the fans of this club will only be better once we a rid of our owners.

inside track

Slightly different? This is an owner deliberatly attempting to distress it's landlord, force it into admin and pick up a stadium on the cheap. It has nothing to with football, there is no regard for jobs, lives supporters or anything else. This is a nasty greedy little business going all out to get hold of an asset.

Distress its landlord with the collusion of Coventry City Council - 50% owner of the landlord company! That is precisely what the judicial review is all about. The Council have floundered and blundered through all this. Not saying Sisu are blameless - of course they're not - but the Council should have and still can sort all this out, but they have to get into the real world.

theferret

Where would we be then had we done SISU's work for them ?

Were you outside the Council house six years ago before these Cretinns got their hands on us ?
They are failed due to their own ineptitude!!
I will back any new owner that secures every advantage from the Stadium for the club on the way in,not to walk off into the sunset with .

I too will back any new owner. There is not a city fan I know that wouldn't.

We can all talk about what happened 6 years ago - in fact let's do that. Why was it that Coventry City Council insisted that the football club only talk to SISU about a takeover when there were other interested parties and when GR has misgivings about dealing with them? Who the hell were the council to tell the club who they should deal with?

The council played a big part in inflicting SISU on the club and it's funny how their supporters never mention that when they talk about events that happened years ago.

Do you blame the council for that?

inside track

Quite right. Some common sense at last.

NorthernWisdom

We can all talk about what happened 6 years ago - in fact let's do that. Why was it that Coventry City Council insisted that the football club only talk to SISU about a takeover when there were other interested parties and when GR has misgivings about dealing with them? Who the hell were the council to tell the club who they should deal with?

The council played a big part in inflicting SISU on the club and it's funny how their supporters never mention that when they talk about events that happened years ago.

You're speaking too much sense here today ferret.

SkyblueBazza

They couldn't foresee how things would eventually get us to where we are now though could they? Even SISU couldn't. Rules have changed & that has bought things sharply into focus, as well as the need to change.

DaleM

Here we go again . Facts are the rent was 1.2 million a year so for 5 years Sisu paid up which equates to 6 million. Then stopped paying , blamed the council / ACL saying rent has caused ccfc to be relegated etc . Needed a scapeoat for their failings and mismanagement on and off the pitch. Agreed a new deal then renaged on it. Then threw a strop and moved out , not thrown out , moved out .
They are a bunch of charlatans who should never have got involved in football. Yes I was happy when they took over, and thought it would be the start of our recovery back to premier league, but looking back maybe we should have gone into admin then and hopefully it would now be a long forgotten memory .
Do the math , lets say for instance that we got F&B revenue and lets be generous and say out of 10k fans half spent £5 each home game that equals 25k. Take out staff and food,drink costs and you would be lucky to see 10k profit per game. 23 games at home equals 230k per season. Now x that by 6 equals 1.38 million over the 6 years. It is nothing in the grand scheme of things they are trying to pull the wool over the fans eyes and trying to shift blame for their failings. IMO It was a get rich quick scheme that was sold to them by RR and it's all gone shit shape when we failed to make any impression in the championship.
SISU were hoping on a return to PL football then to sell club on at a tidy profit. It never happened and IMO never will under their tenure.
In the long run I think they would be better off going back to ACL and accepting the 400k deal that was on thd table and just getting on with it. It may be more beneficial to them to eat a bit of humble pie now than to alienate the fans to such an extent that the very future of COVENTRY CITY is in doubt.

inside track

These people should not be allowed to run up debt on a company that they have not invested in and every City fan has the right to protest against their posturing and lies. All they had to do was pay 600,000 to ACL and instead they are looking at spending 40 million on a new stadium to get an extra 10 grand a home match in revenue, absolute bollocks. This should make the league change its fit and propper test completly from now on so shady companys like SISU are never let near any football club again, that may be the only bright spot to come out of this whole sorry saga. People still wanted sisu out of the club because of all the miss management and lies as well as the millions in management charges levelled against the club, they just rallied behind the first thing to stand up to them which was ACL. You could have been a concientious objecter in the war but it didnt stop you getting shot you were still the enemy, thats what sisu are they have no defence they have not looked after the interest of the club the fans just themselves. Please dont try to defend the indefensible. 7000 people have signed a petition to keep the club in the city are they all wrong in the judgement, this City and the fans of this club will only be better once we a rid of our owners.

There is so much wrong with this, it is unbelievable. Just one point though. What on earth do you think Sisu have been doing if they "have not invested" in the club?

I would never argue that they have spent all their money wisely or sensibly or that they are the owner we would like to have, but with virtually no revenue from normal stadium sources the money that has kept the club going has all come from Sisu and its investors. If that's not investment I don't know what is.

I want to see this club continue to play in Coventry, preferably at the Ricoh. I would be more than happy to see new owners who we can all love and get behind. But please, please be realistic and don't be so simplistic as to blame Sisu for everything that's happened. There are others who should hang their heads in shame at this shambles, rather than playing pathetic games like tying balloons to someone's car.

Last edited:

RogerH

I think this is a game of brinkmanship. Fisher's ever more preposterous statements are attempts to muddy the waters and put doubts in our minds as to to who is really to blame for our situations. Whilst I am sure the Council/Higgs/ACL might do some things differently if you could rewind time, I don't suppose they have ever had to deal with a bunch of ruthless, unprincipled sharks like SISU before. I doubt plans to play elsewhere/build new stadium much less sell tickets are anywhere near far enough advanced to get a deal done, make it meet all the League's criteria before the fixtures are due out in 1 month's time. They are hoping that ACL will cave in and allow them to use the Ricoh for nothing. ACL have to call their bluff, maybe then we will finally get rid of the poison called SISU who have infected our club for far too long.

theferret

There is so much wrong with this, it is unbelievable. Just one point though. What on earth do you think Sisu have been doing if they "have not invested" in the club?

I would never argue that they have spent all their money wisely or sensibly or that they are the owner we would like to have, but with virtually no revenue from normal stadium sources the money that has kept the club going has all come from Sisu and its investors. If that's not investment I don't know what is.

I want to see this club continue to play in Coventry, preferably at the Ricoh. I would be more than happy to see new owners who we can all love and get behind. But please, please be realistic and don't be so simplistic as to blame Sisu for everything that's happened. There are others who should hang their heads in shame at this shambles, rather than playing pathetic games like tying balloons to someone's car.

And even now they are pumping money into the club, after all, the players and staff are all being paid as far as we know, and income is currently not much more than zero. And today were hear they are fitting out a large retail unit for a new superstore and are drawing up plans for a new ground.

We can criticise them for many things - too many things to mention. I would love to see PH4 on the front of the CT tomorrow with a scarf raised above his head.

But one thing you cannot criticise them for surely is a 'lack of investment'. Money spent wisely? No, of course not, they have made a total hash of things, but that money has been forthcoming and to suggest otherwise makes no sense.

Let's unite behind a campaign to get rid of them, but let's understand that this is not all as black and white as some like to think.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Youre right if NO rent had been paid we would have been in the MUCH healthier position of being only 54 million in debt :facepalm:

The Reverend Skyblue

Any money these charletons have supposedly invested has been put against the club, hence the £70 million debt. The "management charges" is another name for the money they have supposedly invested. Is there another club in the league whose owners charge them to run it, very few if none would be my guess, so these "management charges" are the money they have put in under another name.
They have loaded every penny they have put in, against the club.
How anyone can stand up and defend these parasites is beyond me. They have brought a once proud club to its knees and yet we have some making excuses for them.
Fisher and SISU could tell blatant lie after lie and still some would say" you know what I think they have turned a corner and we should get behind them". How many chances will these people give them before they see the light

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

If there is enough money to build a new ground there is enough to buy more than a vested interest in the current one.

Brighton Sky Blue

Who is backing his stance? Not seen anyone openly support it. Perhaps you could enlighten me, because these people don't exist from what I have seen.

The point I am making is simply this; that on the rent dispute the club were right, and on that issue alone I and others backed them, and had others been onside the outcome might have been different and we might be today discussing our prospects for next season and whether or not we are going to renew STs etc.

Of course, SISU could always have paid up and continued to make their case and lobby for further reductions. Why they didn't do that and allowed things to escalate like they did only they can answer. SISU are to blame for where we are now, and I want them out asap. Nothing would make me happier.

Right in what sense-right to initiate a boycott without bothering to negotiate first, or right to say it was too high?

Godiva

If there is enough money to build a new ground there is enough to buy more than a vested interest in the current one.

You're probably right, but that require ccc/higgs to sell their shares at a fair price (it will still only buy the club the lease, not the actual stadium though).

ccc is the key here.

Maybe Ann Lucas could be pursuaded to tell us what she will do to make sure the club stays at the Ricoh?

stupot07

Here we go again . Facts are the rent was 1.2 million a year so for 5 years Sisu paid up which equates to 6 million. Then stopped paying , blamed the council / ACL saying rent has caused ccfc to be relegated etc . Needed a scapeoat for their failings and mismanagement on and off the pitch. Agreed a new deal then renaged on it. Then threw a strop and moved out , not thrown out , moved out .
They are a bunch of charlatans who should never have got involved in football. Yes I was happy when they took over, and thought it would be the start of our recovery back to premier league, but looking back maybe we should have gone into admin then and hopefully it would now be a long forgotten memory .
Do the math , lets say for instance that we got F&B revenue and lets be generous and say out of 10k fans half spent £5 each home game that equals 25k. Take out staff and food,drink costs and you would be lucky to see 10k profit per game. 23 games at home equals 230k per season. Now x that by 6 equals 1.38 million over the 6 years. It is nothing in the grand scheme of things they are trying to pull the wool over the fans eyes and trying to shift blame for their failings. IMO It was a get rich quick scheme that was sold to them by RR and it's all gone shit shape when we failed to make any impression in the championship.
SISU were hoping on a return to PL football then to sell club on at a tidy profit. It never happened and IMO never will under their tenure.
In the long run I think they would be better off going back to ACL and accepting the 400k deal that was on thd table and just getting on with it. It may be more beneficial to them to eat a bit of humble pie now than to alienate the fans to such an extent that the very future of COVENTRY CITY is in doubt.

F&B's make about £100k profit per annum not £280, and 25%(?) would go to Compass.

Users who are viewing this thread