Laptop non repair (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Laptop hinges broke and it also decided to stop booting. Went to repair shop who charged £200 for the fix. Called them up and they say they’re giving it back broken because they can’t work out why it won’t boot.

Do I have any consumer rights?

Seaside-Skyblue

Laptop hinges broke and it also decided to stop booting. Went to repair shop who charged £200 for the fix. Called them up and they say they’re giving it back broken because they can’t work out why it won’t boot.

Do I have any consumer rights?
Did they just fix the hinges then or nothing at all? I know it doesn't help now but I always try to opt for no fix no fee repair shops. Did you pay up front? I'd check if they have a policy on their website. I won't profess to understand consumer rights in depth but you could call citizens advice to point you in right direction? (Website below) If they have just fixed hinges you should be able to challenge them on this and just pay for that part of the repair although really they should have worked on the reboot issue first because a laptop that doesnt boot is obviously pointless with or without hinges.

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Generally you’re paying for their time diagnosing as much as fixing so I doubt you’ll have a leg to stand on. Unless they explicitly offer a no fix no fee service.

How old is the laptop? If less than five years or so you might be able to get a manufacture fix.

Brighton Sky Blue

Generally you’re paying for their time diagnosing as much as fixing so I doubt you’ll have a leg to stand on. Unless they explicitly offer a no fix no fee service.

How old is the laptop? If less than five years or so you might be able to get a manufacture fix.

2 years old, HP

shmmeee

I press the power button and nothing happens besides the keyboard briefly lighting and then going back off.

Does the charge light come on when it’s plugged in? Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor/tv to see if it’s just that that’s broken?

Brighton Sky Blue

Does the charge light come on when it’s plugged in? Have you tried connecting it to an external monitor/tv to see if it’s just that that’s broken?

Yes, nothing appears on the external one either. Charge light still appears.

The ‘repair’ shop thinks overheating has fucked it

Users who are viewing this thread