Lap Of Honour (1 Viewer)

WillieStanley

I just thought I'd mention that this is the first season in what feels like years where I've actually felt the players deserve their lap of honour after the last home game. Admittedly some more than others but on the whole, even though we're playing at a lower level, to go through 5 different managers, a malicious rent dispute, retiring captains, the threat of homelessnes, administration, a 5 match losing streak and a 10 point deduction and still break the records we have as well as have a nominee for L1 player of the year, and score all those goals is nothing short of spectacular.

There has been little in the way of consistancy this year but those little consistancies we have had, have been special; off the top of my head, the actual desire of the majority of players and, of course, the amazing away following.

I'm proud of our team this season. I've always been proud of our club, but recently, not so much of the majority of the team. Its so refreshing for it to be different this season and long may it continue. Although we wont be carrying any (deserved) silverware this season, they deserve their moment in the sun after what has been an incredibly difficult season for everyone. I hope everyone sticks around for it!!

Last edited:

Porkchophill

Couldn't agree more with you how many seasons have we been all geared up for a great season only for the players to be in holiday mode 6 weeks before the end and the wonder why they get jeered by the fans ( although I did feel sorry for gunner ) this season the players have been poorly serviced by the off field antics and have been a credit to the badge I will definetly be clapping them round this season

adamdav68

I just thought I'd mention that this is the first season in what feels like years where I've actually felt the players deserve their lap of honour after the last home game. Admittedly some more than others but on the whole, even though we're playing at a lower level, to go through 5 different managers, a malicious rent dispute, retiring captains, the threat of homelessnes, administration, a 5 match losing streak and a 10 point deduction and still break the records we have as well as have a nominee for L1 player of the year, and score all those goals is nothing short of spectacular.

There has been little in the way of consistancy this year but those little consistancies we have had, have been special; off the top of my head, the actual desire of the majority of players and, of course, the amazing away following.

I'm proud of our team this season. I've always been proud of our club, but recently, not so much of the majority of the team. Its so refreshing for it to be different this season and long may it continue. Although we wont be carrying any (deserved) silverware this season, they deserve their moment in the sun after what has been an incredibly difficult season for everyone. I hope everyone sticks around for it!!
totally agree

The CableGuy

On the one hand, they have done well to respond to numerous set-backs, on and off the pitch.

On the other hand, it looks like were gonna have a mid-table finish, and I doubt if anyone would have been happy with that at the start of the season. Even without the points deduction, we would have had a slim chance of promotion given our inability to keep leads (over 30 points pissed away from winning positions) and a poor home record.

Just think if we had kept 15 of those points. We would be in play-off spot now even after going into Admin.

The CableGuy

Forgot to mention that with the way this season has gone, the players would end the lap and be greeted by a new manager.

coundonskyblue

I disagree.

Play offs should have been minimum target this season. I will take into consideration the 10 point deduction, but if come the final whistle of the Leyton Orient game we are more than 13 points off the play offs then I don't think the players deserve any special credit.

Porkchophill

On the one hand, they have done well to respond to numerous set-backs, on and off the pitch.

On the other hand, it looks like were gonna have a mid-table finish, and I doubt if anyone would have been happy with that at the start of the season. Even without the points deduction, we would have had a slim chance of promotion given our inability to keep leads (over 30 points pissed away from winning positions) and a poor home record.

Just think if we had kept 15 of those points. We would be in play-off spot now even after going into Admin.
I agree that a mid table finish is nothing to crow about but what I do recognise this season is the desire from the players to do well and like you say off fied set backs that include numerous arguments which could of been detrimental to our home form via us the disgruntled fustrated fans and mainly from sisu /acl bickerings the managerial problems no consistency transfer embargo points deduction at a crucial point in the season losing our two top scorers and other various injuries although not the most talented cov team we've ever had they have showed plenty of commitment

Spencer

I agree that a mid table finish is nothing to crow about but what I do recognise this season is the desire from the players to do well and like you say off fied set backs that include numerous arguments which could of been detrimental to our home form via us the disgruntled fustrated fans and mainly from sisu /acl bickerings the managerial problems no consistency transfer embargo points deduction at a crucial point in the season losing our two top scorers and other various injuries although not the most talented cov team we've ever had they have showed plenty of commitment

I'd have to agree with all of that.

Nonleagueherewecome

Forgot to mention that with the way this season has gone, the players would end the lap and be greeted by a new manager.

One in the dugout and another one by the time they reach the dressing room.

WillieStanley

A fair few said they were expecting a relegation battle. I actually said I think mid-table and that was without even dreaming of a point deduction. But I don't think this is about what our expectations were at the beginning of the season. So much has happened since then and we've learnt a lot... about our club, about the league, about a few of our players (Baker? Sheff?) and about our own fans. Also, how many of our current first team were involved in the gallant win over Birmingham? Not many I suspect.

I admit home form was poor and we lost too many points from winning positions. However, there was rarely a better side at The Ricoh, which I suppose made the points being lost hurt even more. It also has to be said that the losing points from winning positions was resolved and we actually came back from a few (Who'd have thought that?!). That's an achievement in itself.

Nonleagueherewecome

I expected lower mid-table to potential relegation battle. So we've done pretty well for my money. Although as someone who only goes to the home games, this has been the most appallingly intolerable season in my lifetime. I think without McGoldrick's goals we could well have faced a relegation fight. Possibly the shrewdest City signing since Westwood; if only we could compete for players like that on a permanent basis :(

Porkchophill

A fair few said they were expecting a relegation battle. I actually said I think mid-table and that was without even dreaming of a point deduction. But I don't think this is about what our expectations were at the beginning of the season. So much has happened since then and we've learnt a lot... about our club, about the league, about a few of our players (Baker? Sheff?) and about our own fans. Also, how many of our current first team were involved in the gallant win over Birmingham? Not many I suspect.

I admit home form was poor and we lost too many points from winning positions. However, there was rarely a better side at The Ricoh, which I suppose made the points being lost hurt even more. It also has to be said that the losing points from winning positions was resolved and we actually came back from a few (Who'd have thought that?!). That's an achievement in itself.
I think whe we look at it in perspective yes we should be beating the so called top teams in this div we are not a league 1 club the last thing we want to do is to become comfortable in this division we need to get a winning mentality and stop sinking to the levels around us once there is stability and security off the field hopefully this will breed confidence and success on it

Nonleagueherewecome

I think there was a lot of "we're not a L1 club, we should be beating these rubbish sides" for the first 3 months of the season: it's a major part of why we sucked so much.

coundonskyblue

I think there was a lot of "we're not a L1 club, we should be beating these rubbish sides" for the first 3 months of the season: it's a major part of why we sucked so much.

There is a difference between arrogance and expectation though.

I remember when Judas first joined, one of the things he said was that we have gotten used to losing. To the players that had become acceptable.

We should have expectation that the team will win more than they lose, not because they are in league 1, but just because we need a winning mentality.

Sky Blue Kid

To be honest, I think this squad are the most inconsistent (Form wise) we've had in 20 years. NLHWC admits to only going to home games, I admit to only going to away games. Only being able to speak on away games, we have been given lessons in football at Shrewsbury, Pompey, Walsall, and have had major points taken off us by bad sides, yet give the top sides a good game and on quite a few ocassions beat them. Why? It doesn't make sense.

The CableGuy

True, who would have thought that the likes of Carlisle, Crewe and Shrewsbury would be doing the double over us? So-called smaller teams like Yeovil have been far more consistent than us, with our playing budget of £4 million (according to TF).

If anyone deserves the lap of honour, its the supporters for putting up with all the crazy stuff on and off the pitch this season.

oakey

I always stay for the lap of honour since I believe 3 things
1) it comes under the job description of "supporter"
2) The players try, some are not consistent but that's why they are playing for CCFC.
3) If we want to keep players / attract new ones they have to feel supported.

Nonleagueherewecome

Only time I've ever stayed for one was the game where my "keen to get away ASAP" mate couldn't make it-and the bastards were so embarrassed that they didn't even bother!

Nonleagueherewecome

Did they do a lap of honour after beaten battered 0-4 by Watford?

That's the one. We had a couple of players come out for a bit after about 20 minutes. At least McPake made the effort, even though he was on crutches..

theferret

Players probably less deserving of their lap of honour this season than ever before. This season has been an epic failure. Points deduction aside, that we have managed to finish outside the top 6 this season in this awful league is a travesty. Without the deduction we are currently level on points with Leyton Orient, how on earth does that amount to a good season? This we have managed despite having 3 players in the top 11 highest goal scorers in the league, and just about the highest wage bill.

I suppose when you have supporters with such low expectations then it isn't really a surprise. You expect failure, then don't be surprised when you get it. This defeatest mindset has blighted our club for years and I really don't know how we will ever break that mentality, because judging by this thread it is alive and kicking.

For what its worth, I will stay to clap the players. I think they are a honest bunch and you can't fault the effort. They have failed though.

Porkchophill

But in reality we are not a league 1 club we might have a league 1 team at the moment but fan base , history ,facilities and potential surely at worse we are a mid- table under achieving championship side every time we have a sniff of a big game ie : Crewe jpt or a premiership cup tie the Fans are there to be tapped into we've suffered badly from years of monotonous football playing for nothing and as I said early sinking into our surroundings rather than excelling maybe the 1 good thing that could come from this is the fact that momentum would build if we could get ourselves involed in a serious title or promotion challenge I think we were all guilty of taking top flight football for granted the younger generation my children included have never tasted this before and I'm pretty sure that after the the last decade or so it would never be take for granted again

SBS

Did they do a lap of honour after beaten battered 0-4 by Watford?

That was Marcus Halls last game for us and Coleman (inexcusably i.m.o) left him on the bench for the entire game. Still don't really like Coleman because of that!

I expected us to finish about 8th before this season started. Given the financial situation and the start we had I'm relieved we're not any lower. Thorn and Shaws spell was a disaster, the squad they left looked so slow, unfit and devoid of confidence.

I will stay for the lap of honour though. I go to quite a few away games and this season has been enjoyable on the road. I hope the club show some initiative to try and create an atmosphere next season, the performances haven't helped but its far too quiet.

letsallsingtogether

should do the lap of honour to the tune of the Last Post (just in case we don't come back next season):censored:

Users who are viewing this thread