Labo on sky NOW (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Several valuations done - one of which came to light in recent court case. Doesn't think the council wants them made public. I thought it had been made clear that the "public" valuation was of ACL not the RICOH. He also said that other recent financial transactions were trying to be kept hidden.

Court case? Came to light?

What financial transactions?

tisza

The application for a judicial review.think he was referring to the yorkshire bank ACL lease valuation.
didn't specify what the transactions were just that certain people probably wanted them to remain hidden.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Several valuations done - one of which came to light in recent court case. Doesn't think the council wants them made public. I thought it had been made clear that the "public" valuation was of ACL not the RICOH. He also said that other recent financial transactions were trying to be kept hidden.

That valuation is only public tisza because it formed part of papers given to SISU relating to the discussions in December 2012 and they then included it in the JR papers which is what made them public I believe. The valuation was of the distressed leasehold value of ACL done for Yorkshire Bank and therefore not in CCC power to release they dont have title to it. But ML must know that surely?. I assume the other transactions is a reference to the 14m loan by the council

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

said council don't want to sell the ricoh because it will probably bring to light financial irregularities.

I wonder if that is defamation? That's what SISU would call it if anyone suggested that being the reason none of their business arms appear to be willing or able to submit accounts in good time.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Forgive me but I thought that was your line. "Don't sell the Ricoh on the cheap, etc. Let's not let SISU rip off the poor council, etc"

When ACL weren't being paid their rent, this forum was hysterical with people taking the morale high ground. Telling us it was the law, simple as that.

Now it's I don't give a shit if allegations are true, as long as it doesn't effect the club

shmmeee

"financial irregularities" is vague enough to avoid punishment I'd assume. Also wide enough for the WUMs on here and GMK to invent any story they like.

Come with an allegation or fuck off Labovitch.

torchomatic

Yep, that's my point.

When ACL weren't being paid their rent, this forum was hysterical with people taking the morale high ground. Telling us it was the law, simple as that.

Now it's I don't give a shit if allegations are true, as long as it doesn't effect the club

James Smith

Suggesting paid council officials on ACL board are misleading council. Said certain financial transactions are trying to be hidden from us. These officials are blocking the sale.

If that's what he said then I hope he has something to back those statements up because it sounds like (and I did not see it although I'm looking for a pub as I type showing Sky) he was making allegations which are actionable if untrue. I am not a lawyer though.

skybluetony176

That valuation is only public tisza because it formed part of papers given to SISU relating to the discussions in December 2012 and they then included it in the JR papers which is what made them public I believe. The valuation was of the distressed leasehold value of ACL done for Yorkshire Bank and therefore not in CCC power to release they dont have title to it. But ML must know that surely?. I assume the other transactions is a reference to the 14m loan by the council

nail on the head i think OSB

The Reverend Skyblue

It was the most embarrassing interview I have seen. ML came over as a Hooray Henry who had just seen his boat sink at Henley regatta, and couldn't find his Mummy and Daddy to buy him a new one.

He bumbled on and looked like he would burst out crying any minute. Can't SISU find someone who comes across a bit more professional on TV/radio than ML.

A public relations disaster, again, can't the PR company they are employing train him up a bit

martcov

Clearly SISU have launched a media offensive.. Labo is doing the rounds, shall record Midlands Today & Central News so I can see what is said.. I fully expect he'll be interviewed on those programs too.

Yes, we're in a full scale Propaganda war. The attempt to frighten critics and the sudden change of text from Coventry journalists was a forebodeing of what was about to come. The last article in Fanzone was factually inaccurate and misleading - SISU would have jumped on it with lawyers if were criticism about them. Now a "Jübelmeldung" with pretty pictures showing how clever we are and how much we have accomplished only starting in August - missing out the horrible story from 2007 onwards. Constant maligning of the council - "if you tell a lie long enough…." comes to mind. Expect more of these attacks as the council are remaining quiet due to the JR. The JR decision to go ahead was also an amazing turnaround for the courts…. There are some very wealthy people out there who don't like losing money in a run-down city with an amateurish council… at least that's what they think about our city. Is there no way to take the name "Coventry City" off them? They are creating a negative image of the city and if they are never going to play here again, then why use the word Coventry in the name? A new team playing in Coventry may be preferable to have Coventry City in the name.

James Smith

So if this isn't true then he should expect a letter in the post?

Depends, the correct thing to do legally if it's untrue is to take action, and it would be very interesting to see what he has to back this up with.

On the other hand if you're trying to retain the moral high ground or it's true then you don't.

James Smith

Thought TF said in the SCG minutes that ML received a small salary

ML claims to be non executive (ie makes none of the decisions) but is simply listed as a director at Company House and therefore legally shares joint and several liability with the other directors...... plus is idependent (yet is paid by Otium)

At least thats my understanding happy to be corrected

Why would you want to be legally liable for decisions you don't make?

Last edited:

James Smith

no it's slander surely, it was him speaking on sky, libel is written isn't it? slander spoken

No and my law lecturer went to great lengths to make me aware of the difference. By transmitting it (radio, tv etc.) you are publishing it same as if you wrote it in a newspaper.

chiefdave

Council trying to keep something quiet- the recent JR exposed one of these- two most senior salaried council officers are ACL board members thus have a conflict of interest. Officers of the council prevent a sale going through. Invited the council to open talks on the radio or TV.

Nothing was actually exposed by the JR was it? There was talk of a YB valuation based on what they could get if ACL went bust but thats pretty much useless as an indication of value now. The council are 50% owners of ACL, wouldn't you expect them to have representation on the board, if SISU owned ACL are we to assume they would not have any say in the running of it? Sounds like he's insinuation some sort of illegal, or at least dubious, actions by those on the ACL board who are also on the council. Does he have any specifics or any evidence to back up these allegations? The council have been very clear that they have not vetoed a sale, how can they have prevented a sale when no offer has been made? Has it not been said that any offer would have to go to a full council vote? As for holding talks or TV or radio, it's so stupid I don't know how to respond to it!

Steve_75

I wonder if they've made this possibly libelous/slanderous (whichever it is) comment deliberately in order to goad CCC into sueing them.
I guess in order to prove the comment is wrong, CCC would then have to release more financial info than they would otherwise want SISU to have?

James Smith

I wonder if they've made this possibly libelous/slanderous (whichever it is) comment deliberately in order to goad CCC into sueing them.
I guess in order to prove the comment is wrong, CCC would then have to release more financial info than they would otherwise want SISU to have?

If you make the claim you have to be able to back it up - not for the other person to prove anything.

So it would be up to ML to prove everything he said was true if it ever came to court.

Last edited:

Warwickhunt

Surely if SISU had evidence of detrimental transactions they would have made it public by now.
Or give them to the Judge on the JR review???

asb

So if this isn't true then he should expect a letter in the post?

It is not something public bodies tend to do, and even if they believe it to be be viable they tend not to because of the House of Lords' decision in Derbyshire County Council v Times Newspapers [1993] AC 534 in which it was held that a local authority had no right at common law to sue for libel to protect its governing or administrative reputation, because allowing it such a right would stifle pubic opinion and be contrary to the public interest.

This could be challenged by the 'Localism Act 2011'. Which allows a public body to do that which an individual can do in law. I do however recall a debate on the Defamation Bill where Lord McNally reassured Parliament that the courts would follow the Derbyshire principle. The reason was because it would be "contrary to the public interest for organs of government to be able to sue in defamation, and that it would be an undesirable fetter on freedom of speech". The reason given was to ensure that local authorities would discharge their functions in compliance with the statutory duty of best value.

The Council will not sue. Individuals could sue, but could they afford to take on SISU without public funds? I think not.

shmmeee

Agreed about the body language, he looks more comfortable when the topic switches to the Ricoh.

Then again he's probably from the same school of sliminess as Fisher.

stupot07

Agreed about the body language, he looks more comfortable when the topic switches to the Ricoh.

Then again he's probably from the same school of sliminess as Fisher.

I find his body language looks far better on the radio ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

kevinleftpeg

Is this person actually for real? I am even more lost for words having watched this baffoon........... Deary Deary me. We are so fucked.

Specs WT-R75

It is not something public bodies tend to do, and even if they believe it to be be viable they tend not to because of the House of Lords' decision in Derbyshire County Council v Times Newspapers [1993] AC 534 in which it was held that a local authority had no right at common law to sue for libel to protect its governing or administrative reputation, because allowing it such a right would stifle pubic opinion and be contrary to the public interest.

This could be challenged by the 'Localism Act 2011'. Which allows a public body to do that which an individual can do in law. I do however recall a debate on the Defamation Bill where Lord McNally reassured Parliament that the courts would follow the Derbyshire principle. The reason was because it would be "contrary to the public interest for organs of government to be able to sue in defamation, and that it would be an undesirable fetter on freedom of speech". The reason given was to ensure that local authorities would discharge their functions in compliance with the statutory duty of best value.

The Council will not sue. Individuals could sue, but could they afford to take on SISU without public funds? I think not.

Right... the council won't sue but ACL could?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iWTqs6AYsY

Sorry folks.. you going to have to turn the sound right up.... didnt realise the Iphone was so poor at voice recording.... you can just about make it out or use headphones?:rolleyes:

Many thanks for the link... I just about got the jist. If the statement is not true then the guy is a crazy fool... if the statement is true, then Sisu have basically accepted that the Ricoh will never be sold to them? Either way not good :(

Users who are viewing this thread