La Palma Vocano (1 Viewer)

xcraigx

🌎 LIVE: La Palma Volcano Eruption in the Canary Islands (Feed #1) 105 - YouTube

Nature's stunning isn't it? I've been keeping an eye on this for the past month considering (mostly, if not all debunked) claims that the island was at risk of collapsing into the sea if a volcano, or big enough associated earthquake occurred. It's incredibly sad for the people who have lost their homes and their livelihoods but it's such a hypnotic happening.

wingy

Yes mesmerising.
I don't really know anything about them in any detail but there a chain of them across the islands and have wondered if any of the others are likely to go off

xcraigx

Yes mesmerising.
I don't really know anything about them in any detail but there a chain of them across the islands and have wondered if any of the others are likely to go off

According to the USGS there is some evidence, but not enough to conclude one can set another nearby off. I do know Vulcano in Italy (I didn't know until recently that's where the name Volcano comes from) is showing signs of waking up after 130 years. I'm sure there are a couple of others, certainly in Iceland but that's a relatively frequent occurrence over there.

The best way to track potential activity is to measure strengths and depths of earthquakes near to known volcanic areas. Right now earthquakes are happening frequently a couple of miles to the south east of the current eruption. These earthquakes are stronger than those that preceded this current eruption, but their depths are pretty stable and suggest that there isn't going to be another eruption nearby any time soon.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Is La Palma the island that they’re waiting for a huge cliff to fall off and cause a massive tsunami that will hit the east coast of north and South America?

Tommo1993

So there’s 3 or 4 separate vents all going at it like the rafters. How long can a volcano go mental for until it subsides?

xcraigx

Is La Palma the island that they’re waiting for a huge cliff to fall off and cause a massive tsunami that will hit the east coast of north and South America?

It is indeed, Cumbre Vieja. It's interested me for quite a few years since I saw a documentary on Nat Geo or suchlike but having looked more into it recently it's very much a worse case hypothesis that doesn't really hold up to scrutiny. The scar on the land doesn't go very deep, doesn't go as far as some experts estimated... basically if something was to give way it's unlikely to be the whole island and it's very unlikely to give way in one go so the mega tsunami prediction isn't going to happen. It's still incredibly cool to watch though.

xcraigx

So there’s 3 or 4 separate vents all going at it like the rafters. How long can a volcano go mental for until it subsides?

Some reputable reports have suggested it has the potential to keep on going right up until the end of the year.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Tenerife Tony.
Incorrect. It is La Palma which could cause a mega tsunami. However it will take a massive earth quake to cause this tsunami. Its likely to happen in the 5 minutes or 5 million years. The highest magnitude earthquake has been a reasonably mild 4.

The last volcano on any of the canary islands was 1971 also in La Palma, the last volcanic activity was about 8 years ago of El Heiro. Lanzarote was about 1850's, which is at Timanfaya, where experiments take place to show its still active today.
Tenerife Tony.

JAM See

wingy

Incorrect. It is La Palma which could cause a mega tsunami. However it will take a massive earth quake to cause this tsunami. Its likely to happen in the 5 minutes or 5 million years. The highest magnitude earthquake has been a reasonably mild 4.

The last volcano on any of the canary islands was 1971 also in La Palma, the last volcanic activity was about 8 years ago of El Heiro. Lanzarote was about 1850's, which is at Timanfaya, where experiments take place to show its still active today.
Oh blimey.
Stand corrected.🙆‍♂️

Sick Boy

I was in Catania once when Etna was going off, it was incredible. The way it dominates the skyline for miles of that part of the island is quite humbling.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Depends on loads of variables - size of magma chamber, pressure inside it, how violently it's erupting.

Although it's terrible that people are losing their homes an eruption like this is far more preferable to one massive eruption. Think of it likes a kettle. The steam coming out of the top is bloody hot but if you stuck something in the spout to stop it being released eventually the kettle would explode and cause way more damage.

If the one under Yellowstone suddenly erupted the amount of ash and dust it could throw into the atmosphere could cause a nuclear winter.

Users who are viewing this thread