Knowledgable Fans (1 Viewer)

ashbyjan

How come everytime we get linked with a player supporters come on stating they have seen them play loads and they are brilliant or rubbish or whatever. Always makes me think - if you're a Cov fan how have you seen some full back from Rochdale play loads and secondly brings to mind the spoof done on the Chelsea fans earlier in the year.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/30/win-nowt-chelsea-fans-duped

Just my thoughts and not official Trust policy before anyone gets their proverbial panties in a twist.

ajsccfc

The internet really teaches us that you can tell everything about a player by going on their Wikipedia page and skipping straight to their season stats.

RFC

The internet really teaches us that you can tell everything about a player by going on their Wikipedia page and skipping straight to their season stats.

The fact that Wikipedia is so great obviously accounts for the number of scouts clubs employ not only to watch opponents play but also run the rule over possible future signings.

lewys33

The fact that Wikipedia is so great obviously accounts for the number of scouts clubs employ not only to watch opponents play but also run the rule over possible future signings.

Yh I agree. Wikipedia may in fact take over the whole scouting network in a few years. #saveourscouts

skybluebeduff

The same Wikipedia then anyone in the world can edit?

Great source...
:facepalm:

diggerdaley

Most players look good on youtube showing their highlights,people who slate Carl Baker would get excited if we just signed him.

ajsccfc

If only he had Wikipedia and Youtube at the time, John Gregory could have at least saved a DVD's worth of Bosko Balaban's grotesque transfer fee.

Monners

Had a question from my daughter today: "When did Prussia cease to exist?". First thoughts were 1870ish with German unification and all that. Turns out that it wasn't formerly abolished until 1947, with a few other key dates in between.

I found this out with a quick Wiki search mind you, so the answer I gave could indeed be total bollocks - FACT :(

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Had a question from my daughter today: "When did Prussia cease to exist?". First thoughts were 1870ish with German unificatoin and all that. Turns out that it wasn't formerly abolished until 1947, with a few other key dates in between.

I found this out with a quick Wiki search mind you, so the answer I gave could indeed be total bollocks - FACT :(
I didn't realise that and even went to some do at Charlottenburg Castle last year.

Monners

I didn't realise that and even went to some do at Charlottenburg Castle last year.

Me neither. Other key dates are obvious when thinking about it.

- 1918 - germanic monarchies lost all pollitical power after WW1
- 1932 - effectively abolished (Hitler and the Third Reich)
- 1947 - Post WW11

Good old Wiki

shmmeee

*sigh*

Obligatory reminder that Wikipedia is as or more accurate than Encyclopedia Brittanica or other "traditional" encyclopedias:

Quantitative results for the articles reviewed show that the Wikipedia articles in this samplescored higher overall than the comparison articles with respect to accuracy, references,
style/ readability and overall judgment. The scores for the latter item, which includes
citability, indicated that none of the encyclopaedias were rated highly by academics in terms
of suitability for citation in academic publications.
Results across languages showed that Wikipedia fared well in this sample against
Encyclopaedia Britannica in terms of accuracy, references and overall judgement, but no
better on style and overall quality score. The same was true of Enciclonet, but the Arabic
encyclopaedias scored significantly higher on style than Wikipedia and equally well on the
other criteria.

From an Oxford University study: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/EPIC_Oxford_report.pdf

And isn't a lot of scouting done via YouTube these days? Hence all the vomit inducing clips of 8 year olds put together by their Dad.

Hobo

Dont forget Champ Manager Pros

hill83

*sigh*

Obligatory reminder that Wikipedia is as or more accurate than Encyclopedia Brittanica or other "traditional" encyclopedias:

From an Oxford University study: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/EPIC_Oxford_report.pdf

And isn't a lot of scouting done via YouTube these days? Hence all the vomit inducing clips of 8 year olds put together by their Dad.

Jimmy%20Savile

Gint11

On a seperate note, just come across my current favourite Fantasy football name and I thought I'd share it - Teenage Mutant Ninja Skrtels !

FRY-CCFC

My general process, because I know more about other teams than you lot is imagine considering how I do a lot of research around the football league etc, is to go and check stats, then go off my own opinion from what I've seen from the player and finally check what other clubs fans say about the player. It usually gives me a pretty accurate representation of the player we've signed.

Astute

My general process, because I know more about other teams than you lot is imagine considering how I do a lot of research around the football league etc, is to go and check stats, then go off my own opinion from what I've seen from the player and finally check what other clubs fans say about the player. It usually gives me a pretty accurate representation of the player we've signed.

You would find it easier and more accurate if you watched them play. That is what most of us do.

How accurate are the comments from fans? Most of them are like ours. Once they leave they are seen as shit or better than they really are. You can even get comments like this whilst playing for their club.

FRY-CCFC

You would find it easier and more accurate if you watched them play. That is what most of us do.

How accurate are the comments from fans? Most of them are like ours. Once they leave they are seen as shit or better than they really are. You can even get comments like this whilst playing for their club.

Watch them play? Tad confused how I can do that if they are at another club. YouTube is just a lie as well. You could probably find David bell's best moments on there to make him look good. If you mean wait and reserve judgement until the season starts then I do that as well but I feel like I'm allowed to make a first judgement on a player. I would be the first person to say my judgement was wrong if they are different to how I've heard but that has yet to be the case.

Astute

Watch them play? Tad confused how I can do that if they are at another club. YouTube is just a lie as well. You could probably find David bell's best moments on there to make him look good. If you mean wait and reserve judgement until the season starts then I do that as well but I feel like I'm allowed to make a first judgement on a player. I would be the first person to say my judgement was wrong if they are different to how I've heard but that has yet to be the case.

Perfect.

You can tell us about all of our new signings then. What position they prefer. Strong in the air or on the deck. Able to go past players or good at passes. I am glad that you know more than the rest of us.

ccfcway

or, some cov fans dont live in Coventry and often go to other games ?

If we ever sign someone from Cliftonville I will be able to tell you pretty much all you need to know !

letsallsingtogether

I must admit I don't even know their names what they look like or even what position they play.
I will reserve judgement till later in the season.

Have seen so many so called good players just disappear.
City Fans were crowing when we brought Eastwood, every week they would phone up and say we needed a player like that, I had never even heard of him.

Must admit don't take any interest in any other team other then Coventry but even that is getting less now.

mark82

How come everytime we get linked with a player supporters come on stating they have seen them play loads and they are brilliant or rubbish or whatever. Always makes me think - if you're a Cov fan how have you seen some full back from Rochdale play loads and secondly brings to mind the spoof done on the Chelsea fans earlier in the year.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jan/30/win-nowt-chelsea-fans-duped

Just my thoughts and not official Trust policy before anyone gets their proverbial panties in a twist.

Nice to see you posting again Jan. Thought you had disappeared.

I think in this day and age you can know something about a lot of players in the football league due to TV coverage. Also, people move about the country quite freely so there is always someone who will have seen a player play. However, there will always be someone trying to bullshit.

Last edited:

FRY-CCFC

Perfect.

You can tell us about all of our new signings then. What position they prefer. Strong in the air or on the deck. Able to go past players or good at passes. I am glad that you know more than the rest of us.

Alrighty then.

Reda Johnson - big unit, can play at CB or LB though we will play him at CB. Not slow by any means and has the strength if an ox. Also a leader on the pitch which is why he's been made captain over baker. If he can get past his injury problems, then we have a great signing on our hands.

Danny Pugh - Experienced at both LB and LM and we will be playing him at LB. He is a consistent player who can get forward and unlike Blair Adams, has an eye for goal. Evidently can take a set piece on top of that. However he isn't the quickest and could be exposed by fast tricky wingers.

Jim O'Brien - another experienced player who is very hard working and so has become a fans favourite at the clubs he's been at. What he lacks in ability he makes up for in passion and commitment so is just the type of player pressley likes. Superb for Motherwell but his Barnsley career was blighted by injuries so never showed the amazing form he had in Scotland at Barnsley. If we keep him fit, another excellent addition for this level.

Danny Swanson - at Dundee, was superb. Quick, tricky, just the sort of player we need. His Peterborough career though was not as good his Dundee one as he was inconsistent and the fans weren't fans of him. On his day though, he was unplayable and he is a good addition to the squad as he adds creativity and speed which our squad lacks.

Ryan Allsop - very much a confidence player. Liable for a few mistakes but overall solid. Very good shot stopper. Played well for Bournemouth in their promotion season but has since fallen out of favour. A good signing, especially on loan.

Mohamed Coulibaly - A promising winger who has sadly had his career blighted by injury. Lightning quick and very skilful, he has the attributes to be a stand out player for us. But sadly, his legs are made of glass and I expect him to have niggling injuries all the time he's with us which will limit his performance some what.

Marcus Tudgay - An excellent signing for this level. Holds the ball up well and brings others in to play as well as having good finishing on top. There are no negatives with tudgay who I fully expect to score upwards of 15 this season. The perfect replacement for Leon Clarke.,

Shaun Miller - Another good finisher who had a good career in his hands at Sheffield United until he got injured. Many blades fans were very impressed with him and sad that injuries limited his playing time there as he was the best striker they had (Better than Chris porter and Lyle Taylor). Depending on who else we bring in, I see Miller as being back-up to tudgay and a new striker but he is a good back up to have compared to mathieu manset who we had last year.

ashbyjan

Hi Mark - I would post more and give my personal opinions on stuff but people will inevitably latch onto stuff and take it as Trust policy or some such nonsense so I have to restrict myself to rather boring public proclamations! It is frustrating as I would often like to join in on discussions, especially when I know stuff is being said which is factually incorrect or total bollox (to use a technical term). As with any democratic organisation we don't all agree on everything but we take a vote and go along with the majority - some things I am in agreement on others not but I tow the party line so to speak. Whilst it would be tempting to have an alter ego on here where I can vent my spleen etc it could cause more problems than its worth if I was to say something that was not 100% policy etc

Otis

It's ridiculous isn't it.

I was saying the same thing on here the other day. People are predicting how City are going to do this season before even seeing the new players play and I'm sure most of have never even heard of many of the new players either.

Bet the guys in this video now feel like right old mugs.

Brighton Sky Blue

Alrighty then.

Reda Johnson - big unit, can play at CB or LB though we will play him at CB. Not slow by any means and has the strength if an ox. Also a leader on the pitch which is why he's been made captain over baker. If he can get past his injury problems, then we have a great signing on our hands.

Danny Pugh - Experienced at both LB and LM and we will be playing him at LB. He is a consistent player who can get forward and unlike Blair Adams, has an eye for goal. Evidently can take a set piece on top of that. However he isn't the quickest and could be exposed by fast tricky wingers.

Jim O'Brien - another experienced player who is very hard working and so has become a fans favourite at the clubs he's been at. What he lacks in ability he makes up for in passion and commitment so is just the type of player pressley likes. Superb for Motherwell but his Barnsley career was blighted by injuries so never showed the amazing form he had in Scotland at Barnsley. If we keep him fit, another excellent addition for this level.

Danny Swanson - at Dundee United, was superb. Quick, tricky, just the sort of player we need. His Peterborough career though was not as good his Dundee United one as he was inconsistent and the fans weren't fans of him. On his day though, he was unplayable and he is a good addition to the squad as he adds creativity and speed which our squad lacks.

Ryan Allsop - very much a confidence player. Liable for a few mistakes but overall solid. Very good shot stopper. Played well for Bournemouth in their promotion season but has since fallen out of favour. A good signing, especially on loan.

Mohamed Coulibaly - A promising winger who has sadly had his career blighted by injury. Lightning quick and very skilful, he has the attributes to be a stand out player for us. But sadly, his legs are made of glass and I expect him to have niggling injuries all the time he's with us which will limit his performance some what.

Marcus Tudgay - An excellent signing for this level. Holds the ball up well and brings others in to play as well as having good finishing on top. There are no negatives with tudgay who I fully expect to score upwards of 15 this season. The perfect replacement for Leon Clarke.,

Shaun Miller - Another good finisher who had a good career in his hands at Sheffield United until he got injured. Many blades fans were very impressed with him and sad that injuries limited his playing time there as he was the best striker they had (Better than Chris porter and Lyle Taylor). Depending on who else we bring in, I see Miller as being back-up to tudgay and a new striker but he is a good back up to have compared to mathieu manset who we had last year.

Must try harder ;)

Astute

Alrighty then.

Danny Swanson - at Dundee, was superb. Quick, tricky, just the sort of player we need. His Peterborough career though was not as good his Dundee one as he was inconsistent and the fans weren't fans of him. On his day though, he was unplayable and he is a good addition to the squad as he adds creativity and speed which our squad lacks.

Any chance of something not already covered considering you say you know more than any of the rest of us?

robbiethemole

How do you "know" more than anyone else??? either you're 90 years old or you don't have a job and lots of free time.Either way I think your judgment is flawed and you are a self important prat

ccfc92

Bit of a strange thread this one.

Why can't some CCFC fans have a broad knowledge of players in the footballing world?

One lad I went to school with, knew most English league players, and European leagues as well, with a good knowledge on youth and up and coming players before most had even heard of them.

My god he was shocking at playing football though :facepalm: :D

Users who are viewing this thread