Kitchen (1 Viewer)

Ian1779

Any ideas on the best place to get a fitted kitchen from?

Or would I be better getting one that I can fit, or ask someone to fit for me?

Thanks

rob9872

Go to B&Q with your measurements. Dont have to use them but great for ideas and free design work ;)

Sbarcher

Howdens. Good stuff and good value. Go for a free design but you need a tradesman with an account there to buy and install for you.

Corrado

we got ours from Wickes but got a local builder to fit it whilst he was doing other work around the house - expect to pay the same price for fitting as the kitchen units cost, also dont get a real wood wok surface unless you want to spend more time caring for it then you actually use it, also if you like the idea of planning it yourself download the Ikea kitchen planner, put your dimensions in and plan away

bezzer

Our new kitchen is from Howdens. We used a local fitter to fit it for us. He also project managed the whole thing, arranging sparkies and floor fitters. Kitchen is great quality, very pleased with it.

Ian1779

Thank you for the replies. I also had a recommendation of Howdens from a neighbour so think I might give them a try.

One other question - budget wise am I looking around 6-8K for a decent sized kitchen including appliances and paying for installation?

Terry Gibson's perm

Thank you for the replies. I also had a recommendation of Howdens from a neighbour so think I might give them a try.

One other question - budget wise am I looking around 6-8K for a decent sized kitchen including appliances and paying for installation?

Mine has just cost just under seven to buy and two and a half to fit dishwasher oven ceramic hob and fan included in that

Marty

Play B & Q and Wickes against each other, get a quote from one and go to the other, they will beat it, keep doing this, until they say they can't do anymore and they'll usually throw in something too.

I got a 5.5k kitchen for 2.5k, free worktop, sink, hob and oven.

Fitted it myself and got a chippy in to fit the worktop, if you're fairly ok and giving things a go, I would highly recommend giving it a go.

ovduk78

Play B & Q and Wickes against each other, get a quote from one and go to the other, they will beat it, keep doing this, until they say they can't do anymore and they'll usually throw in something too.

I got a 5.5k kitchen for 2.5k, free worktop, sink, hob and oven.

Fitted it myself and got a chippy in to fit the worktop, if you're fairly ok and giving things a go, I would highly recommend giving it a go.

If you know a tradesman with a Howden's account that don't mind you using it for yourself you can go into Howden's and get the kitchen at trade prices. We did that for a sink unit & cupboard for out utility room and we also used the same company for negotiating discount's for our showers and boiler. I don't even think we had to show anything official either.

Marty

If you know a tradesman with a Howden's account that don't mind you using it for yourself you can go into Howden's and get the kitchen at trade prices. We did that for a sink unit & cupboard for out utility room and we also used the same company for negotiating discount's for our showers and boiler. I don't even think we had to show anything official either.

I actually had a quote from Howdens but they didn't have exactly what I wanted. The chippy who done my Kitchen is a mate, had a quote from Magnet too.

I am looking at selling and buying another project, so I'll be doing the whole process over again.

Skybluemichael

Did you read the instructions?
Yes I did, but the doors are thinner the end panels are thinner the melamine Is thinner so chip easy and sucks up the water, the kick plates are only 70mm so you end up kicking the doos and they chipping them, they don’t have any space at the back of the units to hide the pipe work they are just very cheap

Astute

Kitchens are very easy to fit. And all you need is basic tools. And you also know you will get a decent job if you can use screwdrivers, drills and an electric saw.

dancers lance

Any ideas on the best place to get a fitted kitchen from?

Or would I be better getting one that I can fit, or ask someone to fit for me?

Thanks
I hand make bespoke kitchens, bedrooms and furniture, I don't rate the quality from Howdens, B&Q Wickes etc, all the stuff they supply is made by the same company in Ireland. Never have vinyl wrapped doors in a kitchen as they will 100% peel, I only fit solid wood or sprayed/painted doors in kitchens for this reason and they will last a lifetime. Also watch out for cheap handles and hinges, poor quality worktops and internal baskets, bins etc. Get a really good fitter, I have seen £20,000 kitchens ruined by shite/DIY fitters. Try and get full 18mm mfc glued and screwed carcasses not cam and dowel.

Sky_Blue_Daz

If you go into Howdens around October time they tend to do really good deals then

Sky_Blue_Daz

I hand make bespoke kitchens, bedrooms and furniture, I don't rate the quality from Howdens, B&Q Wickes etc, all the stuff they supply is made by the same company in Ireland. Never have vinyl wrapped doors in a kitchen as they will 100% peel, I only fit solid wood or sprayed/painted doors in kitchens for this reason and they will last a lifetime. Also watch out for cheap handles and hinges, poor quality worktops and internal baskets, bins etc. Get a really good fitter, I have seen £20,000 kitchens ruined by shite/DIY fitters. Try and get full 18mm mfc glued and screwed carcasses not cam and dowel.
Just out of interest do you have a website ? The good lady wants a new kitchen this year

dancers lance

Just out of interest do you have a website ? The good lady wants a new kitchen this year

Hi Daz, sorry for the late reply, I had a website until April this year but decided not to renew as it was costing me a fortune and generating hardly any business. I would say 90% of my work is from recommends, repeat customers and the rest is from a small local mag I advertise in, and this already keeps me stacked out

I have loads of pics of my work that I would be happy to send you, all of which I have made and fitted, Also, any customer of mine would be happy to let you personally see the work i have done for them (I have done this many times in the past and it's far better than any photo or review on a website).

I am also more than happy to fit kitchens that I haven't built, in any case, even if you just need a bit of advice on something I would be more than happy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread