Kieren Westwood (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Keiren Westwood seems to have fallen out with his manager at Sheffield Wednesday. And on social media he has said how much he loved his time here at Coventry City. Is he trying to get a return here ? 🤔

rob9872

I'd take him. Tried and tested at the level, better competition than Wilson, good experience. It's a key position and I like Marosi but if he gets a knock we're fecked

Samo

How would we pay him?

One of my favourite ever City players but hearts ruling heads here.

In pounds and pence I would imagine

Frostie

Reasons to sign him:
  • Is (or was) an excellent keeper
  • Nostalgia

Reasons NOT to sign him:
  • Is on huge wages
  • 35 years old (36 next month)
  • Injury prone
  • Will expect to play every week
  • Rumoured trouble maker who's fallen out with numerous coaches & teammates.

Blind-Faith

Reasons to sign him:
  • Is (or was) an excellent keeper
  • Nostalgia

Reasons NOT to sign him:
  • Is on huge wages
  • 35 years old (36 next month)
  • Injury prone
  • Will expect to play every week
  • Rumoured trouble maker who's fallen out with numerous coaches & teammates.

But he’s Kieran Westwood! 😂

lord_garrincha

Interestingly no one is answering your question... Which is probably yes.

But we don't need him... I assume the club are tolerating the risk that Marosi will not suffer a long term injury between Oct and Jan.

Skyblueweeman

Even if we signed him on a one year deal at say, £8k a week (not bad for a keeper of 35 yrs age), that'll work out at somewhere between £275-£300k in wages until the end of the season.

If we got £1.7m from the Wilson sale, that would still leave us a fair whack of that money for January.

I'm normally not one for going back to old players but I'd make an exception on this one as GK is such an important position. If Marosi gets injured, Westwood would be a great back up...although I confess I know little of his injury record which would be the only thing I'd be concerned about if it was bad.

mr_monkey

Even if we signed him on a one year deal at say, £8k a week (not bad for a keeper of 35 yrs age), that'll work out at somewhere between £275-£300k in wages until the end of the season.

If we got £1.7m from the Wilson sale, that would still leave us a fair whack of that money for January.

I'm normally not one for going back to old players but I'd make an exception on this one as GK is such an important position. If Marosi gets injured, Westwood would be a great back up...although I confess I know little of his injury record which would be the only thin
g I'd be concerned about if it was bad.

So you think that a club in our financial situation and with the way the world is at the moment should spunk (using your maths) 300k on a reserve keeper just in case 😂😂😂

8k a week would probably make him our highest earner as well just to keep the bench warm 🙈

SlowerThanPlatt

He’s not played much last 3 seasons even before the apparent fall out he’s had, suggest he’s on the decline as Shef Weds have had quite a few managers since then:

17/18 - 18 apps
18/19 - 20 apps
19/20 - 14 apps

Skyblueweeman

So you think that a club in our financial situation and with the way the world is at the moment should spunk (using your maths) 300k on a reserve keeper just in case 😂😂😂

Would a decent back up keeper to Marosi not be a good idea?
Is receiving £1.7m and spending about 15% of it on a decent keeper, really 'spunking' it?
Don't you think having a good back up keeper with great experience would be good for Marosi as it will push him to better himself to keep his place?
Do you think back up players (for any position) cost nothing overall?

Cool, cheers for commenting.

SlowerThanPlatt

Goalkeeping is a position where it’s accepted you don’t really need a great back up though. If Marosi got injured pretty sure the club would just loan someone in than use Wilson

Liverpool have Adrian as back up to Alisson

mr_monkey

Would a decent back up keeper to Marosi not be a good idea?
Is receiving £1.7m and spending about 15% of it on a decent keeper, really 'spunking' it?
Don't you think having a good back up keeper with great experience would be good for Marosi as it will push him to better himself to keep his place?
Do you think back up players (for any position) cost nothing overall?

Cool, cheers for commenting.

But not to be our highest earner ;)

If we could get Westwood on a tiny deal to sit on the bench then absolutely, but he will be asking for silly wages which we shouldn't spend on a reserve keeper when our number one is almost certainly better than a 35 year old Kieran Westwood, you do realise that he isn't the same player now than he was when he was here before don't you

SlowerThanPlatt

If we could get Westwood on a tiny deal to sit on the bench then absolutely, but he will be asking for silly wages which we shouldn't spend on a reserve keeper when our number one is almost certainly better than a 35 year old Kieran Westwood, you do realise that he isn't the same player now than he was when he was here before don't you

For a club who’s already up against it with the lowest budgets it wouldn’t be a wise investment - if Marosi gets injured we will just loan someone in

Skyblueweeman

Don't disagree. But we don't know what he'll ask for!

And of course hes not going to be the same player as he was first time round. Keepers do have a longer shelf life than outfield players though.

Happy_Martian

I'm laughing at people commenting on his age as a negative. How old was Oggy during our Prem years ? How old was Peter Shilton when we took him for 6 months ? Keepers, unlike outfield players, are still capable at more mature ages. They don't need the pace of a midfielder or defender. As long as their agility isn't affected, they're still useful.

But in regard to a Westwood return, he's only commented as the Sky Blues Extra twitters mentioned him first. Not happening and to be honest, we have better.

Liquid Gold

I'm laughing at people commenting on his age as a negative. How old was Oggy during our Prem years ? How old was Peter Shilton when we took him for 6 months ? Keepers, unlike outfield players, are still capable at more mature ages. They don't need the pace of a midfielder or defender. As long as their agility isn't affected, they're still useful.

But in regard to a Westwood return, he's only commented as the Sky Blues Extra twitters mentioned him first. Not happening and to be honest, we have better.
But our system requires the keeper to have more pace to come out, sweep up and play the ball. Westwood was a great shot stopper but he isn't a keeper in the style of what we now use.

ccfc1234

I'd take him. Tried and tested at the level, better competition than Wilson, good experience. It's a key position and I like Marosi but if he gets a knock we're fecked
Agree the standard between our 1st and 2nd choice GK is significant and slightly concerning. Westwood might be a bit expensive to address this however.

Users who are viewing this thread