Kieren Westwood to be loaned out (1 Viewer)

Otis

That's worked out well for him thus far hasn't it. :thinking about:

Last edited:

cornoccfc

That's worked out well for him thus far hasn't it. :thinking about:

He's gained some (albeit limited) Premiership experience
And some decent money to boot.

I'd say it's worked out alright, he's young for a keeper too don't forget.

Otis

He always said he wanted to be playing though didn't he and at the highest level too.

How many games has he played for Sunderland so far? 9?

cornoccfc

He always said he wanted to be playing though didn't he and at the highest level too.

How many games has he played for Sunderland so far? 9?

Don't get me wrong, he won't be happy with the amount he's played, but sometimes keepers have to bide their time. Plus I'm sure he'll have enjoyed the 9 games he played, particularly some of his saves against United.

I'd aliken him to Mark Bunn, played close to 100 games for Northampton, then poached by Blackburn Rovers. Has hardly featured to them and as result, is loaned out.

stupot07

He was getting a game under Bruce - he had a good game vs united, but then Bruce got sacked and MON doesn't seem to rate him.

torchomatic

he gets loads of,money though.

oakey

Entirely predictable as some of us said a year ago. The same will happen to Keogh if he goes to the Prem. I would rather play at a lower level than be bench fodder, but money talks. Westwood, Kirkland, Davenport... Lots of our former players made the same mistake. Fox is not good enough for the Prem, nor is Gunnar, but players listen to their agents not their professional pride.

kg82

Erm, I think Kirkland was good enough. He was first choice at most clubs he was at but injuries got in the way - he may not be good enough now, but he was. Westwood's good enough, he proved that with his early season performances and from what I've seen of Mignolet, KW's as good as him and will be better. He's being sent out on loan, it doesn't mean it's the end of his Sunderland or Premiership career.

Delboycov

Entirely predictable as some of us said a year ago. The same will happen to Keogh if he goes to the Prem. I would rather play at a lower level than be bench fodder, but money talks. Westwood, Kirkland, Davenport... Lots of our former players made the same mistake. Fox is not good enough for the Prem, nor is Gunnar, but players listen to their agents not their professional pride.

Westwood however is good enough for the Premier....he proved that with his outstanding performances even with the limited opportunities he's been given. I personally think within the next couple of years he will be number 1 for a top 6 side. He's nowhere near at his peak yet and the potential he's shown up to now is frightening and any comparison to the others mentioned isn't fair as far as I'm concerned.

PVA

Someone offers to double or triple your wages and you don't say no. No one would.

Pigeon

He's too good to be sat on the bench, hopefully a loan spell kick starts his career again

Just seems a waste of talent to me. Good players who should be playing week in week out get cherry picked by richer clubs and get effectively put in the back of the larder just in case their is a petrol blockade!! He does not even appear to have been playing for their reserves so how does this help his career??

Nick

Administrator
Just seems a waste of talent to me. Good players who should be playing week in week out get cherry picked by richer clubs and get effectively put in the back of the larder just in case their is a petrol blockade!! He does not even appear to have been playing for their reserves so how does this help his career??

Helps his wallet and can we blame him? Id sit on my arse on triple my wage!

pw362

Surely sitting on the bench at sunderland for most of this season has affected his international career. IMO he has been badly advised and should have been looking to go to a top end championship team with a chance of promotion instead of chasing a big pay rise .

skybluebeduff

And all this came from the newspaper article in The People? :whistle: He won't be shipped out with Craig Gordon Leaving in the summer!

SEVENT7

its the one position on the pitch you can never keep everyone happy.
most premier teams have at least two keepers who would be first choice at lower league clubs.
westwood did very well but sunderland have three top keepers at the moment. he may be loaned out but it would probably have a recall clause in case of injury.

spwaverley4916

I don't get this HERO worship of a player that made it quite plain he did not want to play for OUR club early on in his final season. We slag off the likes of King, Gunnar,Dublin but continue to worship a player that did not want to play for us.
Yes he went for more money, like most of us would, but for christ sake give it up!!

Real

No hero worship from me, just respect for a decent young man who never gave anything less than 100%, even in his last season when he knew he would be leaving come the end of the season.

Let's not forget Big Oggy's career at Liverpool all those years ago - believe it or not he played just 4 (yes 4) league games in 5 years between 1977-1982 because he couldn't shift England's No 1 at that time Ray Clemence who went on to play 470 league games between 1967 and 1981 for Liverpool Fc plus 61 caps for England.

Oggy made up for all that bench warming by going on to play 507 league games for CCFC between 1984-2000 and of course picking up THAT medal !!!

PUSB

Yorkshire SB

Not a chance, if you were a professional footballer you would want to test yourself at the highest level. I can tell you now I'd rather make 15-20 PL appearances a season than 40 championship ones. You train with better players, play against better players in the greatest (certainly most global) league in the world. In any profession you want to be the best you can be, why is football any different. McSheffrey had a couple of years with brum in the PL, admittedly he didn't do particularly well, but he'll always be able to say 'I played Premier League football', and I'll bet he doesn't regret it one bit!

Yorkshire SB

As for Westwood, good enough to play PL football, however there's only 20 number 1s in that division, hard to get there. Needs a break, that's all.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Disappointed it hasn't worked for him, I thought he was great when given a chance at Sunderland. Hope he gets another premiership club.

Craig Gordon's contract is up at the end of the season and there is no sign of the club offering him a new one as he spends so much time on the injury list;) Westwood might get his chance then:D

theprince

Do you think a 60 year old multi-millionaire ex-goalkeeper will be happy telling his wide eyed grandson about all the times he sat on his arse in the dug-out at Sunderland or even at home instead of playing for Cov every week......You bet he will.

Users who are viewing this thread