Kids - do you 'make' them support Cov? (1 Viewer)

Skyblueweeman

So, as I mentioned on another thread a few weeks ago, me and Mrs WM are expecting our first child at the back end of September. We had the 12 week scan yesterday and I can safely say it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Niceties aside, I've been thinking recently about what team my little one will end up supporting. I've always been of the thought process that you should support your local team, so in my instance, any kid would support Pompey.

But I don't think I could bring myself to buying it Pompey clobber. I'm thinking of bringing them up as a Sky Blue and then if they want to go and watch Pompey when they're older, I'd more than happily take them.

Interested to hear from another other parents, especially those who live away from Cov and might have had kids in the past few years? What have you done?

WM

PS. They definitely won't be supporting anyone else...it's either Pompey or Cov. No MUFC or Liverpool etc because they're doing well!

superskyblue

I've never lived in, or anywhere near Coventry. My old man was a Coventry fan because his old man lived in the area and so had a vague following. By rights I would have been a Swindon or Oxford fan (born in Oxford but raised near Swindon) but it was never an option to be anything other than a Coventry fan for me.

Whilst it's clearly an affliction, and one that people can't understand as I've no links to the city at all, I have absolutely no regrets about it and don't resent my Dad for inflicting it upon me at all (honestly!). I love being a Coventry fan and it's something that bonds me and my Dad. I would try and get your child to be a Coventry fan as it's something that you can share in future.

It didn't take much persuading with me, a new kit every birthday and a JSB membership and season ticket did the job and I was hooked. That was in a Premier League era though, might be tougher these days.

P.S. Congrats on your great news WM!

Last edited:

Tommo72

I moved to Leicestershire when my son was one and he’s now 13 and been to 20 different grounds following the boys. We live in a village surrounded by the Cob squad although there are three other Cov fans I know of in the village. It can be done but it’s obviously taken constant reinforcement especially when Leicester won the league, although to be fair he was pretty much converted by then.

A funny story....

When he was 6 (so he kinda got it) I said to him in a joking manner, when you next see Dougie (sort of mate and Lesta fan), make sure you spit on him or any other Lesta fan you see....but I did say I was only joking....and moved on...

Week later...

He’s out with his mum and her friend and said ‘mate’....q tears from mate....you can guess what happened....

When asked and bollocked what did he say....

‘Dad told me to spit on a Leicester fan next time I see one’.....

Fair to say he’s never spat at anyone since and he’s a top lad like his dad ;0)

fernandopartridge

So, as I mentioned on another thread a few weeks ago, me and Mrs WM are expecting our first child at the back end of September. We had the 12 week scan yesterday and I can safely say it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen.

Niceties aside, I've been thinking recently about what team my little one will end up supporting. I've always been of the thought process that you should support your local team, so in my instance, any kid would support Pompey.

But I don't think I could bring myself to buying it Pompey clobber. I'm thinking of bringing them up as a Sky Blue and then if they want to go and watch Pompey when they're older, I'd more than happily take them.

Interested to hear from another other parents, especially those who live away from Cov and might have had kids in the past few years? What have you done?

WM

PS. They definitely won't be supporting anyone else...it's either Pompey or Cov. No MUFC or Liverpool etc because they're doing well!

I've just had a baby boy, I had said previously that I wouldn't want to 'put him through' supporting Cov. Now he's here I have completely changed my mind, we're a dying breed and it is incumbent on us to keep the breed going. He can have one of the local teams as a 'second team' if he wants while he's a kid, but I know that the concept of second teams wears off as you get older. He'll be sky blue through and through like his Dad. Congratulations weeman!

richnrg

I live away from Coventry but took my 2 year old lad to his first football match in December 2010 (City v QPR at the Ricoh). He had a bad cough at the time and it was a freezing cold day, but having bought the tickets a few weeks before and having looked forward to giving him his first footy experience I took him along.

Needless to say, City played shit from the off, and went on to lose 2-0. 10 minutes into the game he said "Daddy, can we go home now?", at which point the bloke behind us said "Can I go too?"

Nick

Administrator
I live away from Coventry but took my 2 year old lad to his first football match in December 2010 (City v QPR at the Ricoh). He had a bad cough at the time and it was a freezing cold day, but having bought the tickets a few weeks before and having looked forward to giving him his first footy experience I took him along.

Needless to say, City played shit from the off, and went on to lose 2-0. 10 minutes into the game he said "Daddy, can we go home now?", at which point the bloke behind us said "Can I go too?"

Think mine was about the same age, Stevenage at home live on TV I think it might have been. Watched it back on Sky, saw her fast asleep holding onto a balloon!

SAJ

Don't make them, tempt them. I went to school in Liverpool and was probably the only city fan in the city, returning to the midlands in the late 70's. My wife is a Liverpool fan so I always guessed my lads would follow Liverpool given their success. Both my lads were born in January so every January I used to swallow my pride and take them to Anfield as part of their birthday present. I though carried on going up HR then one day they asked if they come with me and got the bug. 25 years on my eldest is still a season ticket holder. I pick him up every home match he picks me up for every away match.cant be at going to the match every week having the same hope and aspirations.

richnrg

Don't make them, tempt them. I went to school in Liverpool and was probably the only city fan in the city, returning to the midlands in the late 70's. My wife is a Liverpool fan so I always guessed my lads would follow Liverpool given their success. Both my lads were born in January so every January I used to swallow my pride and take them to Anfield as part of their birthday present. I though carried on going up HR then one day they asked if they come with me and got the bug. 25 years on my eldest is still a season ticket holder. I pick him up every home match he picks me up for every away match.cant be at going to the match every week having the same hope and aspirations.
I always said that winning European Cups, FA Cups and League titles multiple times was overrated. They made the right choice.

wingy

That's refreshing,what a great testement .

Last edited:

Astute

My older boys support other clubs. But they are not glory supporters. One of them supports Grimsby :smuggrin:

I just waited until I thought my youngest lad was old enough. Then I started taking him to games. It was hard at first. Toilet every 10 minutes. Long journeys to keep him happy. Silly questions all the way through the games.

But we now have the memories. It has been worth it all. And he will never support another club through choice. He had to listen to his mates saying how good their clubs are. But they have been jealous of him since he saw his club win at Wembley. He has seen them play abroad. He has had weekends away with his dad to go to games. All his mates have is a club like Manure that they hardly ever if at all go to see.

scottccfc

my 3 kids first games they were aged around 3 years old, my eldest (daughter) ones first game was the JPT game against P.N.E with clarkes last minute winner, my middle (eldest lad) first game was boxing day at sixfields where JCH scored against us and my youngest kids first game was the peterborough game last season.
I took my eldest lad to wembley last year and taking him with my dad is one of the proudest moments of my life seeing him beam with pride has made all the toilet trips all the early finishes worth it.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’ve got a 2 year old (3 in the summer) & he has no choice I had CCFC babygrow and a kit last season, he’s been a JSB had a ST for 3 years (yet to attend his first game think that’ll be when he’s 5).

He had a big sky blue Sam, which he loved from a baby and he recognises the CCFC badge on it everywhere he sees it from seeing it on Sky blue Sam, usually points and shouts “elephant!”

Nick

Administrator
It's all well and good saying they can decide for themselves but it doesn't happen like that.

Mine said the other week everybody in their class supports man u, but none have ever been to a game.

Already prepped on the comebacks if anybody mentions ccfc.

Congratulations to the people expecting / get had babies too!

stupot07

Mine support ccfc, my 7 year old in particular loves them. Yes I made him support us. I made him support us by taking him to games, getting him a JSB membership, talking about them, taking him to the JSB Xmas party to meet the players, buying him a kit, him going to the summer camps and thr players coming down, supporting them together, father and son bonding time, etc.

I'm sure if had done none of those things and his sole or main access to footy was MOTD, then he'd support Man U or someone.

A lot had been written about potentially losing a generation of fans because of the division we're in, Sisu, etc. But its up to us, the dads, step-dads, grandads, older brothers, uncles, carers etc to make sure that doesn't happen.

#pusb

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It's all well and good saying they can decide for themselves but it doesn't happen like that.

Mine said the other week everybody in their class supports man u, but none have ever been to a game.

Already prepped on the comebacks if anybody mentions ccfc.

Congratulations to the people expecting / get had babies too!

I remember those school days, spending my Saturday travelling to Selhurst Park (felt like every other weekend I was watching City there) losing (the shame of being bottom half of the Championship) going into school on the Monday and getting the micky taken by lads who supported United (always United) who would just about know the score line to their game nothing else! Nobheads!!

Astute

I remember those school days, spending my Saturday travelling to Selhurst Park (felt like every other weekend I was watching City there) losing (the shame of being bottom half of the Championship) going into school on the Monday and getting the micky taken by lads who supported United (always United) who would just about know the score line to their game nothing else! Nobheads!!
Top flight for me. And there was many Liverpool them days. But most didn't even know where Liverpool was. And there was me even doing away games with a mate. And they would asj why Cov as they always lose.

ovduk78

Congratulations Weeman!!

My son is 12 and has been with me to watch Coventry about 15 times and he takes a passing interest in how we are doing but nothing like I did at his age. All the kids in his class "support" Man Utd, Bayern, Barcelona, Real etc but with the obsession with the Premier League & Champions League he has said that he likes Spurs. I know he likes wearing his Coventry kit when he plays and if we come down and a new one is out he always wants it so hopefully his liking for Spurs will wane if we get promoted, hopefully eventually to the championship. I think if we went to watch them more regularly it wouldn't be an issue but that currently isn't possible.

Terry Gibson's perm

Both of my boys are city fans they are 3 & 6 they still boo the London wasps flags at the roundabout, the older one went to Wembley and hopefully the younger will go this year.

The thing I have noticed is lots of lads I went to school with didn’t bother with the city but now are all big fans

Nick

Administrator
Mine support ccfc, my 7 year old in particular loves them. Yes I made him support us. I made him support us by taking him to games, getting him a JSB membership, talking about them, taking him to the JSB Xmas party to meet the players, buying him a kit, him going to the summer camps and thr players coming down, supporting them together, father and son bonding time, etc.

I'm sure if had done none of those things and his sole or main access to footy was MOTD, then he'd support Man U or someone.

A lot had been written about potentially losing a generation of fans because of the division we're in, Sisu, etc. But its up to us, the dads, step-dads, grandads, older brothers, uncles, carers etc to make sure that doesn't happen.

#pusb

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That's the thing, when a kid is 5-10 they aren't going to really do it all off their own back. They need to be taken, they need to be into it with things like the JSB and meeting the players.

If people want their kids to be CCFC fans they need to do a little bit as well. Same with anything that kids do.

bringbackrattles

My dad took me to Highfield Road as a kid in the 60's in the Jimmy Hill era, so I was fortunate to see winning football. So that's all I ever knew but so grateful to my late father for that,as I love my club even though they've put me through it. My two sons are City fans too but the youngest doesn't bother much anymore, but I reckon if we got promotion and kept on climbing the divisions he'd be back.

lifeskyblue

4 girls and a boy (youngest) all born in Leicester. I took all when young to both CCFC and Leicester games. 3 of the girls enjoyed going to matches but not really football fans. 1 didn’t even notice they changed ends at half time in first match and asked why the old man (ref) didn’t kick it. They don’t live in Leicester now...all grown up...but were all thrilled when Leicester won league.
4th girl into football and played for Leicester ladies before going to uni. She is a Leicester fan and goes when she has chance. She has been to Ricoh and supports CCFC when there. We are her second team. She enjoyed the checkatrade trophy final wore her CCFC kit and sung the sky blue song
Son a CCFC fan through and through. He always says he is the only one in his class to go to football regularly AND the only time be to go to Wembley to follow his football team. Many of his manure, arse and Liverpool ‘supporting’ friends are jealous that he goes to matches as they have never been and they and the Leicester supporting friends now follow CCFC results religiously.
Three of the daughters are married...2 to non football supporting husbands...I might influence those grandchildren. One married to manure fan (born Eastbourne, grew up Cambridgeshire and now Windsor but does go to old Trafford few times a year). Still he not all bad...last season paid for us all to go to charlton and also came with us to the Ricoh on a fair few occasions. He also has taken son to old Trafford a couple of times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread