Kevin Phillips (1 Viewer)

operationprem

Rumour on twitter hes about to sign for us anyone heard anything?
I think hes got a season left in him at our level, be a great signing playing off the juke!
Pusb

Sky Blue Sheepy

Personally I think we need someone young and fast to partner Jukiewicz upfront.
Can't say I'm thrilled with the idea of Kevin Phillips nom'ing on our wage budget like a hungry hippo but, if it's true and he bangs a few in, I'm inclined to change my tune :whistle:

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Could we afford his wages, even for a 12 month contract? He would surely be only playing a nominal amount of games at his age.

Glenn Storer

That's the thing with KP though, at this level he will get you goals. Alongside Juke who toward the end of last season started winning balls in the air, a wee little knock down to KP and the net will be bursting.

As for wages, the guys gunna realise, it's us, Watford or a lower league club to finish his career. He can either go out with a bang, or just go and take his wage and to me that doesn't seem like his game.

He may even be on a pay as you play. Or small wage, large appearance bonus. He would definitely make Juke a better player though. The guys vision and movement is fantastic.

ccfcrob

this would be a terrible signing, we cant afford to spend wages that he would be on, for a bit part player that could last 60-70 mins max. He wouldnt be able to play on a saturday then a tuesday for example and with the wages wasted on a has been we could afford 2 maybe 3 players of quality for this league, what we need is Adam Le Fondre, and if the club were quick enough we could have go tnathan tyson off forest instead of him going to Derby!!!!!

Nick

Administrator
I am undecided on it.

On one hand he isn't going to break his back running like King did but he only needs 1 chance in a game and he scores it. Like he did against us in the cup. We have been making shed loads of chances with the new formation and style of play so if we had somebody clinical they would bag a fair few.

bamalamafizzfazz

Phillips no doubt about it still has the legs. He would be a useful signing and would surprise a lot of people how much game time he gets. Wasn't he in the Brum starting eleven at the end of the season? I know Martins and Zigic were injured so I think they played Phillips and Derbyshire up front for a run of games.
I don't think he scored though but against premiership defences this was not likely. I would be keen to see us sign him on a two year deal as long as his wage demands were not too high.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Reckon it would be a good signing.....

Aside from the fact that he would get us goals even as a sub or 60-70 minutes, it is the knowledge craft and skill that he could give to the likes of Juke, Jeffers, Baker etc. That kind of coaching would be invaluable.

Look at the match he played against us, he was the best player on the pitch in terms of his movement and goal threat, if he could impart half of his ability to our other strikers he would be a valuable addition not just on the pitch..... eg look at what the likes of Wise & Strachan did when playing for us in terms of the surrounding players playing better.

fanta80

I personally would be delighted if we sign him. He is a proven goalscorer and played a fair few games for Brum last year, including scoring against us! Alongside Lukas i think he would be a great addition and get us the goals of a certain departed number 9.

In the true definition of a franchise Player KP does not fit right. He is not someone we can build the team around and develop the team around. He will only be around for another season, how can you build a team around someone that'll be retired in a year. I think people may be barking up the wrong tree.

(this forum is lots better now people are talking about subjects other than MK9)

1ccfc

Sorry not for me. At 38 next month I'm not sure his legs would last a season in the championship. Also he would only be a short term fix who has scored 8 goals in 2 seasons.

covcity4life

i agree,his finishing would be huge with our new formation

i know alot of brum fans who wanted to keep him for championship this season,we dont know what his wage demands are,could be down to 8k for all we know

id be happy.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I would agree Rich, I dont think this is the so called "franchise" player AT has in mind but still think he would be a good addition to the squad. The "franchise" player will be younger with a 3 year contract.... it isnt just building the team around him it is that he will be the football face of CCFC and the marketing will be built round him. That will be important because thats what will help pay for him - his share of marketing revenue.

Glenn Storer

Quick question, I've noticed a lot of guys are assuming the Franchise Player will be a striker, why?

Gerrard, Lampard, those kinda players are "Franchise".

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
that would be 19 goals in 69 appearances (38 as sub) for Birmingham. So not that shabby as a plyer not getting regular playing time, usually as a sub coming on late in games. Remember Birmingham had a very poor scoring record last year 38 goals in 37 matches due to their defensive style- all their strikers struggled because of it

I would ask how old were Wise and Strachan when they played for us ? they werent such bad signings. His legs wont be as good as 10 years ago but i bet he thinks quicker than most players we have and will make up some of the pace by his experience

Last edited:

fanta80

Sorry not for me. At 38 next month I'm not sure his legs would last a season in the championship. Also he would only be a short term fix who has scored 8 goals in 2 seasons.

That is with a premiership team as a substitute right? We are a championship team and he would get lots more starts increasing his goalscoring potential.

1ccfc

Dennis Wise was only on a short term contract, and Strachan was never brought in to be a first team regular. I just think that due to our small squad we need who ever comes in to be able to play most games and as a forward score goals.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Yet both were first team regulars who did a job for us for a season. He scores goals and importantly has lots to teach our young lads. I think AT would want to test his fitness before signing maybe but he is a free and salary expectations I would doubt to be that great

1ccfc

That is with a premiership team as a substitute right? We are a championship team and he would get lots more starts increasing his goalscoring potential.

But would he get a lot more starts if the body is not willing. I'm not sure he could manage the amount of games we play. Thorn has already said that he wants to play the best team in all competitions and I can't see Phillips doing that. It is only my opinion and if he does sign I will be right behind him and hope I'm wrong.

fanta80

But would he get a lot more starts if the body is not willing. I'm not sure he could manage the amount of games we play. Thorn has already said that he wants to play the best team in all competitions and I can't see Phillips doing that. It is only my opinion and if he does sign I will be right behind him and hope I'm wrong.

How do we know the body isnt willing? Everyone seems to think because he is old he is past it. Would we have thought Mick Quinn would be the player he was based on his age and physique? I just dont buy this argument and if anything is probably fitter than most of our players due to the enhanced training he has no doubt had these last few years

1ccfc

How do we know the body isnt willing? Everyone seems to think because he is old he is past it. Would we have thought Mick Quinn would be the player he was based on his age and physique? I just dont buy this argument and if anything is probably fitter than most of our players due to the enhanced training he has no doubt had these last few years

I did say 'if' and I'm sure he would score goals as a squad player, but if we are trying to replace King who I think a lot of peolpe thought would finally be our 20 goal a season man, then I just can't see Phillips doing that. As I said before if he pulls on a sky blue shirt I will support him 110%.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I didn't give up playing until I was 45. I know it was only 5-a-side, but extremely physical! I then did refereeing for about a year after. I'm sure KP is fitter than I was at his age! :p

bamalamafizzfazz

Phillips has never been a player who runs with the ball, nor has he been a player to have a major involvement in build up play. He has always been the right time right place man as the ball drops he is in the right position to stick it away. That is what we need and its what we have needed for years.

My point is he doesn't need the legs as long as City play a posession game and maintain pressure on the opposition when we don't have the ball KP could just stay upfront with the need to do minimal tracking back. If he did sign though you can bet your ass that Thorn will be jumping up and down screaming at him cus he chased back to tackle a player near our own corner flag :p

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
i think philiups would convert more then king in front of goal if we can get him take him im sure hed finishin front of goal when he gets the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread