Kevin Phillips joins Blackpool on free transfer (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobi Jones's Dreads

_53978229_103228184.jpg

Striker Kevin Phillips has joined Blackpool on a free transfer after being released by Birmingham City.

The 37-year-old has agreed a one-year-deal with the Seasiders with an option for a further 12 months.

Phillips has scored 254 goals in 561 career appearances for seven different clubs and won eight England caps.

"I've scored many goals in my career and I still believe I've got many in me," Phillips told the official Blackpool website.

KEVIN PHILLIPS' CAREER
Started his career as a right-back in Southampton's youth team
Released by the Saints, he converts to a striker at non-league Baldock Town
Joins Watford for £10,000 in 1994
Scores 24 league goals for the Hornets before joining Sunderland for £350,000 in 1997
Won the European golden boot in 2000 with 30 Premier League goals
Eventually scored 113 league goals for Sunderland
Leaves Birmingham having scored 254 career goals

"I did a fair bit of work last year for Sky television watching Blackpool when I was commentating.

"Like everyone else in the country, I enjoyed watching Blackpool play and creating chances. It was exciting to watch and Ian Holloway is an infectious manager. That was certainly a major factor in me wanting to join Blackpool.

"Hopefully I can get on the end of a few of those chances that we create."

Phillips made 20 appearances for Birmingham last season, scoring four goals, but was released by the club following their relegation to the Championship.

He began his career with Baldock Town and subsequently played for Watford, Sunderland, Southampton, Aston Villa and West Brom, before moving to St Andrew's.

He is Blackpool's third summer signing following the recruitment of former Manchester United winger Bojan Djordjic and Preston North End left-back Matt Hill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread