Ken Dodd.... rip (1 Viewer)

rupert_bear

Doddy dead ! Funny man first time I saw him was 1963 entertaining the crowd at HR before the quarter final against Manchester United, anyone else remember that

christonabike

I heard he loved his job that much that he often over ran his time on the stage and they had to force him off as he would be there until the early hours.
One thing is for sure is if he hid his money behind his teeth the tax man would never of found it!

The Great Eastern

The guy was a quirky genius. I didnt see him live but he appeared at the Cromer pier theatre about 10 years ago and had virtually no audience left by 1am when the management pulled the plug. First to go were the last bus people followed by those who simply had to go to work the next day.
One joke I heard about him once was that (with reference to his tax affairs) he had got 2 new diddymen....
Diddy Pay & Diddy Bollocks !

RIP Doddy

rob9872

Not my thing really but my parents loved him. They tell a similar tale of staying until the early hours at the Spa Centre in Leamington years ago.

no_loyalty

I remember seeing him at the Coventry Apollo theatre, must have been sometime in the 80's.

RIP

Paxman II

I interviewed him once for forces radio way back 1973 when he came out to entertain the troupes on the Island of Gan in the Maldives.
Fantastic singer too don't forget. I couldn't get a word in edge-ways. He later performed for the officers mess and civilian mess for fun. Lovely lovely man. RIP.

Johnnythespider

90 is a good innings, particularly if you are as sharp witted as he was all the way to the end. One of the greats. RIP

CJ_covblaze

Comedy genius. The Football Ramble podcast spent the first 5-10 mins talking about him. It’s been going for 10 years and can’t remember them doing that for anyone else who isn’t from the game. Something that I found staggering and said a lot about him was his version of “Tears” was the third best selling single of the 1960s. That takes some doing.

Irish Sky Blue

Doddy dead ! Funny man first time I saw him was 1963 entertaining the crowd at HR before the quarter final against Manchester United, anyone else remember that
This was a few years before my time. However I have read about him coming onto the pitch at Highfield Road before that game. He took his coat off to reveal he was wearing a City shirt which obviously brought cheers from the City fans and boos from United. He then peeled off the City shirt to show he had a United one on underneath which obviously got the opposite reaction. He wasn’t finished however as he pulled off the United shirt to reveal yet another City shirt underneath!
I remember seeing him in Blackpool in the sixties when I was a boy. I loved watching him. Such a funny man.

Cov kid 55

Blimey, I was there, but can’t remember that. I was 7, and can’t even remember much about the game. Think it was miserable weather, foggy? Yes, as has been said, just about the last of that era. Very funny, did good work for charity, not many people with that amount of success die in the house they were born in. Humble? RIP.

Captain Dart

Sky Blue Harry H

I have always played around with words - something odd in my brain - but always wondered about the lyrics of his hit Happiness - once you have heard the words ' a penis' instead of Happiness, it changes the whole context of the line 'I thank the Lord that I've been blessed, with more than my share of happiness' Was Doddy trying to subliminally trying to woo the ladies, to make up for the teeth department. Like I say - my sick mind!!

christonabike

Isn’t it nice to talk about a celeb who dint end up a kiddy fiddler or molester but a chap who was a true entertainer from that era.
RIP

Sky Blue Harry H

Damaged his teeth falling off his bike and never bothered to get them fixed - suppose they became part of his 'trademark'

rob9872

I have always played around with words - something odd in my brain - but always wondered about the lyrics of his hit Happiness - once you have heard the words ' a penis' instead of Happiness, it changes the whole context of the line 'I thank the Lord that I've been blessed, with more than my share of happiness' Was Doddy trying to subliminally trying to woo the ladies, to make up for the teeth department. Like I say - my sick mind!!
I have the same issue with Gordon Brown - texture like sun. Can't hear anything else now. I always used to add the word boy to the Pet Shop Boys Rent. So annoying now to hear them. I also remember Bob Mortimer singing Greasy lover instead of easy lover to Mark Lamarr on nevermind the buzzcocks
It was around 20 years ago but that stuck too!

Sbarcher

I have the same issue with Gordon Brown - texture like sun. Can't hear anything else now. I always used to add the word boy to the Pet Shop Boys Rent. So annoying now to hear them. I also remember Bob Mortimer singing Greasy lover instead of easy lover to Mark Lamarr on nevermind the buzzcocks
It was around 20 years ago but that stuck too!
It’s Sade and Lathe Operator for me.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
One of the most unfunny "comedians" I ever saw. I just found his humour more for a kids birthday party than prime time TV as it was. A feather duster for a prop? Do me a favour! He wouldn't have been out of place in a bloody circus tent as one of the clowns, and that's being kind.

Terry_dactyl

One of the most unfunny "comedians" I ever saw. I just found his humour more for a kids birthday party than prime time TV as it was. A feather duster for a prop? Do me a favour! He wouldn't have been out of place in a bloody circus tent as one of the clowns, and that's being kind.

I think it was the sheer number of jokes/gags he could recall and his dedication to performance. Might not have been your cup of tea, not mine particularly, but can’t deny his effort and i think there’s understandably a degree of nostalgia about his style.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I think it was the sheer number of jokes/gags he could recall and his dedication to performance. Might not have been your cup of tea, not mine particularly, but can’t deny his effort and i think there’s understandably a degree of nostalgia about his style.
I agree that was a skill, but I rated Bob Monkhouse as one of the best ever comedians to have that skill. Now, THAT man WAS a bloody brilliant comedian! And clever. He could ask the audience to name any subject they could think of and he would tell a joke relating to it. All Ken Dodd ever did was wave a feather duster about, say "Cor blimey, Missus! What a great day for.....".
I honestly cannot remember watching him and even cracking a smile. He was bloody shite!

Paxman II

I agree that was a skill, but I rated Bob Monkhouse as one of the best ever comedians to have that skill. Now, THAT man WAS a bloody brilliant comedian! And clever. He could ask the audience to name any subject they could think of and he would tell a joke relating to it. All Ken Dodd ever did was wave a feather duster about, say "Cor blimey, Missus! What a great day for.....".
I honestly cannot remember watching him and even cracking a smile. He was bloody shite!

Clearly you did not know much or see much of him. He kept the officers mess up all night with the fervor reminiscent of Robin Williams. That's some compliment.

rupert_bear

Listening to a radio chat about him and his nudge nudge comedy and someone on pointed out his famous signature song Happiness was about his penis so l listened to it and have read the words and it’s there a penis hardly pronounced the aich I quote “ A penis, a penis the greatest gift that I process I have more of my share of a penis” Brilliant !!

Captain Dart

Users who are viewing this thread