Kelly must start every game (1 Viewer)

messiahrobins

This will raise a few eyebrows but i think in all the years he has been here, we always look far better and more organised with Kelly in the team. He isnt flash, and never does anything spectacular, and to many would seem a very plodding dull player. However all top sides need such a player screening the defence, the best top level example i can think of who played at the highest level was Gilberto Silva for Brazil 20 or so years ago.
While fans say Kelly just plays like a crab with sideways 5 yard passes, those simple things are so important as it just can often calm things down and allow the team to get back into shape. Also positionally he is like a magnet, always knows where the ball may be in the second phase. The defence has alot more confidence with him there.
Obviously his experience is vital as well, as he has been there, seen it and done it so he must be a huge help to the younger players.
Everyone is salivating about a Torp-Sheaf combination, as am i as well, but Torp is still new at the club and joined us after a period of not playing as he was on holiday so to expect the best of Torp regularly in the next 10 games with so much pressure on the games as they come thick and fast is both unrealistic and unfair on him. A Kelly and Sheaf combination would be excellent. We would be very hard to break down, and id suggest whoever out of us Hull and Norwich in the next 10 games keeps the most clean sheets will get that 6th spot.

Speedies_Chips

Agreed. Some people say he no longer fits with the way we play but he is a very calming influence in the team and keeps things simple. Yes, you wouldn’t play him all season as his fitness doesn’t permit that but he is back in the side at a very similar stage to when he came back in last season, and we know how that turned out.

mmttww

*don't just type 'PARKLIFE!'

1000002492.gif

Last edited:

messiahrobins

Yep that's a bout right tbh. Play Kelly but only if Sheaf is in there. Eccles would be the Sacrifice. But with this back three like tonight then Eccles looks well suited to the right wingback role.
Eccles was brilliant in the RWB role away at Leicester and i felt we lost that game largely because he went off. Currently he looks better there than MVE

long way home

He simply is a very very good pro who knows his trade inside out. Been a brilliant signing for us who just goes about his job without fuss. Must be great for Robins to have him in that changing room. He still has a massive part to play and like last season when you need players to be calm in big games he is one we look at.

Fantastic pro and glad he stuck with us as im sure he could of took a different path last summer and in Jan.

Last edited:

fatso

Solid pro and very useful squad player, but like Allen, won't get a game once we have a fully fit side.
Looks good against the likes of Maidstone and Rotherham though. (But so did Simms)

M&B Stand

When he came on at Blackburn away last season at 0-1 he completely dominated the midfield and dragged us back into it, best display since McAllister days.

covboy9

When sheaf doesn’t play we do need Kelly, he is better than lati in there, I think lati has been picked ahead of him because of Kelly’s fitness issues, he’s made of glass and is always carrying a niggle

Hobo

"People may say he plays like a crab sideways and backwards". Yes but he can pick a pass going forwards too. He spotted runs last night that Sheaf and Eccles have dithered on this season.

The thing is even with Sheaf and Eccles in the side, they both sit quite deep. Kelly can do what they do on his own.

He is great at finding a pocket of space for himself and yes he might go sideways and backwards, but is a first time ball and speed of the transfer and how he finds people in even more space. He has the ability to bypass and get behind the opponents press with his passing.

I have always found him a joy to watch (similar to Hogg at Huddersfield) and he rarely has to break sweat. If he had been more injury free with us I think he could have ended up at a top championship club or even Premier League. He looks after the ball and makes it look easy and that is class.

harvey098

I also find it strange that he isn’t more revered.. any player that has been with us from league 2 to the championship play off finals (and scored his pen) should be immortalised really… but I get the feeling he won’t be hugely remembered in years to come.

skybluelee

I also find it strange that he isn’t more revered.. any player that has been with us from league 2 to the championship play off finals (and scored his pen) should be immortalised really… but I get the feeling he won’t be hugely remembered in years to come.
I'd disagree with the last bit. He'll be fondly remembered for the part he has played in this 2nd Robins era, IMO as equally as Fadz, Godden (when he finally leaves), Dabo, Shipley, Doyle etc, they all played a huge part in the journey but then moved on due to age and/or because we outgrew them.

djr8369

What’s amazing about Kelly is he can be out for weeks and come straight back in, play the full 90 and look effortless.
This always amazes me. I can’t see why we haven’t used him more this season. I know he had a foot issue Robins mentioned so hopefully just that rather than being out of favour.

We always look more open without him as he reads the game so well and plugs the holes in midfield.

harvey098

I'd disagree with the last bit. He'll be fondly remembered for the part he has played in this 2nd Robins era, IMO as equally as Fadz, Godden (when he finally leaves), Dabo, Shipley, Doyle etc, they all played a huge part in the journey but then moved on due to age and/or because we outgrew them.
Actually, I guess we always have that photo. That’s what will be immortalised

Hertsccfc

This always amazes me. I can’t see why we haven’t used him more this season. I know he had a foot issue Robins mentioned so hopefully just that rather than being out of favour.

We always look more open without him as he reads the game so well and plugs the holes in midfield.
I am pretty sure he hasn't played more because of the injury. He is much better than Latibeaudiere in midfield. Early in the season was the best player in some matches and was really steady last night.

Offhegoes

I thought he was excellent last night, and has been since he came back into the team this time last season, including his early season performances
We look much more solid with Kelly there, none of these massive gaps in the middle of the park when teams counter on us. He surely has to start at Watford, with Sheaf still missing.

Sky Blue Pete

We were pretty open last night
He doesn’t have the pace he once had
Should he have played more - yep
Should he be first choice? No

olderskyblue

Kelly always gives an option for passes from defence, something we’ve missed since Sheaf has been out.

Martin180

Until Sheaf is fit, Kelly could play a useful role in making us a bit more steady.

Watford will be more of a test - Rotherham is not a good barometer of things.
Would worry about his mobility against the top sides like Leeds ,Southampton and others

fernandopartridge

"People may say he plays like a crab sideways and backwards". Yes but he can pick a pass going forwards too. He spotted runs last night that Sheaf and Eccles have dithered on this season.

The thing is even with Sheaf and Eccles in the side, they both sit quite deep. Kelly can do what they do on his own.

He is great at finding a pocket of space for himself and yes he might go sideways and backwards, but is a first time ball and speed of the transfer and how he finds people in even more space. He has the ability to bypass and get behind the opponents press with his passing.

I have always found him a joy to watch (similar to Hogg at Huddersfield) and he rarely has to break sweat. If he had been more injury free with us I think he could have ended up at a top championship club or even Premier League. He looks after the ball and makes it look easy and that is class.

He is similar to Hogg who I think Robins actually signed for Huddersfield

Happy_Martian

People said the same about Ray Wilkins but he's still revered as one of the best CMs in England.

higgs

Superb engine on him even in that heat at wembley he played every minute and still stuck away the penalty

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread