Keith Houchen (1 Viewer)

Covkid1968#

I picked up some Cov memorabilia recently and amongst it was Keiths transfer request to the club written on a piece of note paper. I do miss those days where agents didn’t control everything … imagine a premier league player writing on a scrap of paper and submitting it to someone like klopp!!

shmmeee

Kinda sad that all this stuff will be digital these days and never be picked up years later by fans.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yeah. Progress is storing photos and documents on a server you pay to access.
And assumes in years to come they'll still have the hardware and software compatibility to access it, or that it doesn't get corrupted/hacked. Seems like as soon as we transfer information to one format it starts to become obsolete and we have to start the entire process again.

Covkid1968#

Attachments

• DF8DB818-8BE0-4F1C-9549-385B9F6A3FF3.jpeg
    DF8DB818-8BE0-4F1C-9549-385B9F6A3FF3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103

WestEndAgro

Not sure what's happened with Houchen.
Never seems to be involved with anything to do with the club.

Considering he was majorly involved with our finest hour,it's a real shame.

I read his book year's ago but can't recall if anything is revealed as to why he seems to be invisible.

Bad Boy

I read his book year's ago but can't recall if anything is revealed as to why he seems to be invisible.
Maybe he just fell out of love with the game, lots do.
Sadly.

Grendel

he is part of the former players association and certainly attends them. I think he was at Sillett funeral - went to coach Middlesbrough for a while after retirement

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He's definitely been around from time to time. Not exactly regular but not persona non gratis either. Maybe he just lives a fair way away.

Offhegoes

I think we offered him a new contract at end of 94/95 season but he went to America on holiday & never came back, Atkinson was not a happy bunny!
Wegerle on form was one of the best strikers in the league, but he was so inconsistent (right across his career), which is why he never got a big move. He scored some cracking goals for us.

DazzleTommyDazzle

He’s attended at least some of the recent Legends’ Days. Had a couple of brief chats with him - seemed a good guy.

Robinshio

Reading his book he is quite bitter about his time here in terms of how he was treated

I think I read he earnt £18k in FA cup year - All i know is around that time a Graduate salary was around £12k . so considering he scored "That Goal" it is tiny really - probably £50k or so in todays money
In the same year Bugsy Borrows earnt £87k as a comparison

richnrg

Reading his book he is quite bitter about his time here in terms of how he was treated

I think I read he earnt £18k in FA cup year - All i know is around that time a Graduate salary was around £12k . so considering he scored "That Goal" it is tiny really - probably £50k or so in todays money
Hate to say it, but... take the FA Cup out of it, and he was shit !

Grendel

average salaries are hard to compare to modern day - I’m surprised borrows was on that I’m sure Gynn said he was on well under a grand a week

fernandopartridge

average salaries are hard to compare to modern day - I’m surprised borrows was on that I’m sure Gynn said he was on well under a grand a week

Mick Quinn when he signed in 1992 was on £1600 p/w which is about £1220 in 87 according to the BoE inflation calculator

Covkid1968#

In 1987/88 the total player budget was £676k for that season…so that’s a hell of a chunk of it if he was!!

shepardo01

£250 p/w I think. From a story told by Gynn a few years back.
Can't imagine the figure stated for Borrows is right....

Robinshio

lets just say some inside info - not sure if he had "other income" but 87k was the total he earned in 87/88

The Philosopher

I’m sure he made £28000 in 87 with his bonuses and was given a brand new Peugeot?

Grad salary was about 12k in 1997. 1987 would have been less.

The Philosopher

His book is a good read. Went to Hibs having turned down QPR, then Port Vale (who were champ level) then back to Hartlepool as player/manager for a few years. Made reasonably good money and invested in property. Sensible.

His gripe was us signing Speedie. Houch thought that he should have played target man, Benno running off with Regis running in to “Booosh” (in his words).

NorthernWisdom

His book is a good read. Went to Hibs having turned down QPR, then Port Vale (who were champ level) then back to Hartlepool as player/manager for a few years. Made reasonably good money and invested in property. Sensible.

His gripe was us signing Speedie. Houch thought that he should have played target man, Benno running off with Regis running in to “Booosh” (in his words).
Unfortunately for him, we were always going to try and upgrade him. Whoever said it above is right, take out the cup goals and our league form saw us really struggle to score, so we always needed better if we were to progress.

Grendel

Unfortunately for him, we were always going to try and upgrade him. Whoever said it above is right, take out the cup goals and our league form saw us really struggle to score, so we always needed better if we were to progress.

Author is a popular chap

Users who are viewing this thread