Keeper (1 Viewer)

luwalla

with the club not offering burge a new deal and them not having a strong number 2 either , do we think they have already covered off that position , with someone lined up for the summer... stocktake maybe ?

It’s a big position to not have any real players in for next season surely

better days

Not sure if the club have anything lined up but Elliot Justham at Dagenham & Redbridge is probably the best keeper outside the Football League
Only a matter of time before the lad moves up

pusbccfc

There's only one man we all want.

Stockdale.

stevefloyd

As i have said before all keepers and outfield players make mistakes they are human its inevitable the problem with Burge is he makes quite a few basic errors..ie poor punches not commanding his box misses crosses panics everyone when he does leave his line to make a clearance and poor kicking the only thing he does have in his favour is he aint too bad a shot stopper BUT when Stockdale played for us he had a calming influence on the defence he commanded his area and plucked crosses out of the air for fun just what we need a keeper to do

Sick Boy

Of course not. But you can count Joe Murphy and Keiren Westwood in ‘most keepers’, and they still both had a group of harsh critics. Westwood more bizarrely.

Neither of them gifted so many goals to the opposition as much as Burge has managed. If you want to progress as a club we need to bring in a someone better. He’s deluded if he thinks other teams’ fans will be as patient as ours.

Gazolba

Rarely will you find any club getting promoted that does not have a good goal-keeper.
We did it last season but I don't think we'll get out of L1 without someone superior to Burge.
That being said, we could well have done it this season if we'd signed an adequate replacement for McNulty.

Adge

Of course not. But you can count Joe Murphy and Keiren Westwood in ‘most keepers’, and they still both had a group of harsh critics. Westwood more bizarrely.
They didn’t make half as many mistakes as ol’ butter fingers has.

KeresleyArmpit

Rarely will you find any club getting promoted that does not have a good goal-keeper.
We did it last season but I don't think we'll get out of L1 without someone superior to Burge.
That being said, we could well have done it this season if we'd signed an adequate replacement for McNulty.
Im sure most city fans would say Hiwula and Bakayoko have been successful signings, who both have the potential to improve to be at least championship players. Don’t think the point about not signing a replacement for McNulty is relevant, none of us actually know how he would’ve faired in league 1. Out of his depth at Reading in the championship but now firing again in the Scottish peek, which is equivalent to high league 2/low league 1 outside of Celtic & rangers.

letsallsingtogether

Im sure most city fans would say Hiwula and Bakayoko have been successful signings, who both have the potential to improve to be at least championship players. Don’t think the point about not signing a replacement for McNulty is relevant, none of us actually know how he would’ve faired in league 1. Out of his depth at Reading in the championship but now firing again in the Scottish peek, which is equivalent to high league 2/low league 1 outside of Celtic & rangers.
Funny together they have scored less goals then he did on his own last season.

Would have got 20 easy this season.
Not seen many teams better than us in this league yet due to lack of goals and a few mistakes from Burge we have lost games we should have won easily.

luwalla

Not seen many teams better than us in this league yet due to lack of goals and a few mistakes from Burge we have lost games we should have won easily.

That was on league 2 ... he failed in the championship... so who knows how he’d have got on in league 1. All guess work really

I think the real missed one for us was james collins... well it’s pretty obvious actually as has actually proved himself at this level!

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

The guardian published their ineptitude index again, one of the ones was goalkeeper errors leading to goals. Imagine where Burgw would feature in that.

kg82

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought Burge got in L2 team of the year last year?
He makes mistakes. I’d prefer a really good keeper, obviously. But I’m not going to repeatedly criticise our keeper. People have short memories, we’ve definitely had a lot worse.

kg82

And better aswell!

Well, we were a top flight club for over 30 years. It kind of goes without saying. Basically any player we’ve had in the last 10 years or so, we’ve had better in that position in the past. That’s just logical.

Sky Blue Pete

Reality is we have too high expectations

Magwitch

But as soon as Stockdale made the inevitable mistake, as all keepers do, he’d be the next scapegoat. That on top of the fact he won’t be coming here anyway :emoji_thumbsup:
Very true: Genuine question how many points has Burge cost us this season against how many he has earned us with match winning saves, compared to how many good chances Luke Thomas for example who I rate, has spearned or delivered poor final balls to team mates has cost points.

6 Generations

Reality is we have too high expectations

If we had taken the many chances that came our way this season, and I mean many, we would be at least firmly bedded in the top 6; possibly higher.

On Friday, according to the BBC we had 22 shots and only 6 on target.

The game should’ve been won, but we very nearly conceded to 10 men, prior to scoring on 88 minutes.

We have lacked in the art of finishing all season, resulting in losing or drawing games we should have won.

KeresleyArmpit

Not sure how you can say he would’ve easily got 20, he struggled to pull 1 out the bag for Reading, the 1.2mil we got was great business imo. We’re adjusting to a tougher league with a huge turnover of players since last season. Let’s give Baka a full go at it from the start of the season and add quality in the areas we need it i.e. a good keeper, RB, RM, CM/AM.

We showed how clinical our finishing can be against Sunderland! At home when we’re being frustrated by teams, the ball is stuck on the edge of their box in midfield, not about a strikers finishing. Needing a new 10000 goal a season striker is fake news!

..20 goals 20 goals Bakayokoooo...

Liquid Gold

Genuine question. Relative to the level we’re at could you name a worse keeper than him to have played so many games for us?

Liquid Gold

Nope, but way way worse for his relative level, which is what you asked. For him to play 2 games for us was ludicrous. Yet, he played a lot more than that.
I asked was there a keeper to have played as many games as Burge who was worse. You answered with one that played a lot less. Do I take that as you not being unable to come up with an answer?

Grendel

Nope, but way way worse for his relative level, which is what you asked. For him to play 2 games for us was ludicrous. Yet, he played a lot more than that.

He can’t be too bad - he’s still playing at 38

covcity4life

Its time 4 a change

We can all remember his achievements fondly once gone amd good luck to him

Hopefully adds onr promotion this year

stevefloyd

I think the Burge debate will go on we all have our opinions, i am sure he is probably a decent guy and probably got a couple of kids ...not planned though... but our expectations as fans mean we want the best defence the best midfield and 40 goal a season strikers thats because we love the team we support. Its the very nature of humans to always want something better whether thats a new car a new house or a new goalkeeper for our team, so we come here to debate for want of a better word , about our thoughts/observations/better than though so lets all agree to disagree at times

kg82

I asked was there a keeper to have played as many games as Burge who was worse. You answered with one that played a lot less. Do I take that as you not being unable to come up with an answer?

You said relative to the level. Burge has mainly played L1 and L2, Shearer in the championship. That’s what I was answering. We can’t really compare because we haven’t really been at this level that long. And I’m not enough to remember before division 1/PL days.
Also, to be picky, your double negative implies I answered adequately!!

Also, just to clear up, I feel it would be in both our interests to get a new keeper!

Users who are viewing this thread