Karl Robinson interview... what the fans want to hear, but players? (1 Viewer)

steve82

For those not seen it today on sky sports news. A must watch!!

A brave very frank interview that the fans like to hear a manager wanting to say in a interview but could that have a very damaging effect on the players in the long run.
RS has delicately gone about his assessments but largely said there not good enough but recently said there is league one and even championship performances in his players to keep them on board ...TM was quite clever in the way he worded his assessments, saying there very young..... MV not so saying they were not good enough and the leagues too good for them. That backfired badly against him... has Karl Robinson done just that last night in his interview.

A great insight to what managers face when players don't do there jobs tho

Last edited:

Esoterica

I do wonder what the impact of the growing disparity between Championship/PL wages and the rest of the FL has on players in the 25+ plus bracket that have dropped down from that level and know they're not going to make it at that level again. There must be a psychological impact on a lot of players.

slowpoke

A brave very frank interview that the fans like to hear a manager wanting to say in a interview but could that have a very damaging effect on the players in the long run.
RS has delicately gone about his assessments but largely said there not good enough but recently said there is league one and even championship performances in his players to keep them on board ...TM was quite clever in the way he worded his assessments, saying there very young..... MV not so saying they were not good enough and the leagues too good for them. That backfired badly against him... has Karl Robinson done just that last night in his interview.

A great insight to what managers face when players don't do there jobs tho

Brilliant interview kept thinking he was talking about us with the mess they are in. I believe we have players here that don't care enough and that aren't good enough.

steve82

Gave a good assessment, "40% of the squad don't care enough"
"Too many people got away with things for so long"
" don't deserve to wear the shirt"
"not won enough games on the pitch, at some stage the players have to stand up and be counted"
"Hard as a manager as you gotta keep motivation strong"
"For too long to many people dodged bullets and the manager will always get it in the neck"
"Some things happen before a game that I've not seen at a football club"
" I don't no wether they come into work every day and thank there lucky stars they are in this football club.

better days

Gave a good assessment, "40% of the squad don't care enough"
"Too many people got away with things for so long"
" don't deserve to wear the shirt"
"not won enough games on the pitch, at some stage the players have to stand up and be counted"
"Hard as a manager as you gotta keep motivation strong"
"For too long to many people dodged bullets and the manager will always get it in the neck"
"Some things happen before a game that I've not seen at a football club"
" I don't no wether they come into work every day and thank there lucky stars they are in this football club.
The main thing I took from it was that he implied that the players who'd come down from Premier League and Championship seemed to think League 1 was beneath them and are not prepared to put a shift in

steve82

The main thing I took from it was that he implied that the players who'd come down from Premier League and Championship seemed to think League 1 was beneath them and are not prepared to put a shift in

Yes, Sky sports new don't show the full 10 minute interview just the built points, but he singles out Ricky Holmes for his effort and commitment levels he puts in weekly and where he's come from. Like you say players that have dropped down the league think they've made there career as the money's in the bank already after a most likely decent first contract from academy's.
There hearts not in it, no fight no desire.
Fair play to him for saying it, I'm sure Russell Slades seen it and wished he'd said similar things in recent weeks because it's similar situations.
Managers are partly judged on these players registered to clubs on contracts they cannot move on.

Esoterica

Yes, Sky sports new don't show the full 10 minute interview just the built points, but he singles out Ricky Holmes for his effort and commitment levels he puts in weekly and where he's come from. Like you say players that have dropped down the league think they've made there career as the money's in the bank already after a most likely decent first contract from academy's.
There hearts not in it, no fight no desire.
Fair play to him for saying it, I'm sure Russell Slades seen it and wished he'd said similar things in recent weeks because it's similar situations.
Managers are partly judged on these players registered to clubs on contracts they cannot move on.
It's a symptom of the rotten state of the game. In this particular case, the way PL teams hoover up all the young talent for relative peanuts then spit them out the other end when they're sure they're not going to make it to the top. Maddison's a good recent example. Will be 21 in November and would have played more times for us this season than he has in his total career to date. Instead he's had a loan in Scotland and now sitting in Norwich reserves on a tidy wedge, not getting a look in on the footy side.
I'd like to see squad size caps all the way down to youth levels as a start.

Bob Latchford

He certainly told it how it is. that'll upset a few people.

Liquid Gold

It's a symptom of the rotten state of the game. In this particular case, the way PL teams hoover up all the young talent for relative peanuts then spit them out the other end when they're sure they're not going to make it to the top. Maddison's a good recent example. Will be 21 in November and would have played more times for us this season than he has in his total career to date. Instead he's had a loan in Scotland and now sitting in Norwich reserves on a tidy wedge, not getting a look in on the footy side.
I'd like to see squad size caps all the way down to youth levels as a start.
Yep, cap squad sizes all the way through with a minimum % English players.

SkyBlueSid

I think he is right. One major problem is that players regard it as just a job, and their club as simply their current employer. They never have the one-club commitment that fans have, and I suppose that is down to the fact that they have never actually been fans if they have been in the system from age 10 or so. All the badge-kissing stuff is just part of the job too. The bottom line is that players will just go to the club that offers them the most lucrative contract. Why else would players go to China or the Middle East?

Loan players are a problem too. They are inevitably interested in sorting out their own careers and where they can go afterwards. It's easy to just walk away without a backward glance. It has happened time and time again with our loan players, the loan club is no more than a shop window or a rehab opportunity most of the time.

better days

I think he is right. One major problem is that players regard it as just a job, and their club as simply their current employer. They never have the one-club commitment that fans have, and I suppose that is down to the fact that they have never actually been fans if they have been in the system from age 10 or so. All the badge-kissing stuff is just part of the job too. The bottom line is that players will just go to the club that offers them the most lucrative contract. Why else would players go to China or the Middle East?

Loan players are a problem too. They are inevitably interested in sorting out their own careers and where they can go afterwards. It's easy to just walk away without a backward glance. It has happened time and time again with our loan players, the loan club is no more than a shop window or a rehab opportunity most of the time.

Even the players of the host club believe this to be the case

Esoterica

The loan player issue again ties in with capping the squad sizes. A lot of lower league teams rely on loans but it's because their own stars have been hoovered up. You've then got the problem that you describe about how much of a damn they really give and suddenly the whole experience has become devalued for the clubs receiving the players, the players themselves and most of all the fans. Football is in such a mess!

shmmeee

Why can't you sack players?

With all the Bosman crap and other protections for players, you should be able to sack a player that isn't pulling their weight or doing their job. Ridiculous you can sign a 3 year deal then basically do fuck all and there's nothing they can do unless they con someone else into taking you.

D

Deleted member 4439

Thanks for posting, very interesting watch.

ps "who's going to take them?"...we will, if they're cheap enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Never particularly liked him, however he was spot on there! Clearly we haven't seen what he has (I have no interest in watching Charltons games) but he's right; and it happens at more clubs Than just his, we know that all too well

Did get the feeling as though he was talking about us and working under our current conditions for quite a lot of it!

Nick

Administrator
I think it's more about football in general isn't it and the conditions for lower league teams in general :(

Situation with agents, loans, free transfers etc :(

Agree with him about players having to stand up and be counted though. With ownership issues like us and Charlton the players get an easy ride.

shmmeee

I think it's more about football in general isn't it and the conditions for lower league teams in general :(

Situation with agents, loans, free transfers etc :(

Agree with him about players having to stand up and be counted though. With ownership issues like us and Charlton the players get an easy ride.

I think part of it is this level is full of rejects and has-beens because young talent gets snapped up far too early then drops down rather than breaking through at this level and moving up.

Anyone with a sniff of talent gets promoted beyond their ability because of the desperation of the teams above us.

20 years ago the likes of Maddison would still be here carving out a career, Harries would be nowhere near Liverpool, etc. Now 10 good games and you've made it and think youre better than this and some dick head agent is telling you that in your ear while some club with more money than sense is willing to take a chance just in case you are. All feeds into each other.

Nick

Administrator
I think part of it is this level is full of rejects and has-beens because young talent gets snapped up far too early then drops down rather than breaking through at this level and moving up.

Anyone with a sniff of talent gets promoted beyond their ability because of the desperation of the teams above us.

20 years ago the likes of Maddison would still be here carving out a career, Harries would be nowhere near Liverpool, etc. Now 10 good games and you've made it and think youre better than this and some dick head agent is telling you that in your ear while some club with more money than sense is willing to take a chance just in case you are. All feeds into each other.

Yep exactly.

Can't even blame the clubs, teams like Everton can get Sambou and pay him about £3k a week which is more than most of our first teamers if not all. Never mind when Man City had players like Nimely who were in the 5 figures a week.

They then get rejected and aren't bothered about playing in League 2 for £1000 a week max so always have an eye on the top.

skybluepm2

Very refreshing to hear a manager speak with such honesty rather than covering a players arse which is the case 95% of the time.

If related to ourselves, I'd say that it would probably be a similar story in terms of a % of players actually giving a damn and that would be the likes of George Thomas & DKE, home grown sky blues. I very much doubt that Ghadzev or Rawson wake up the day after a defeat in utter despair.

The sad thing is with this squad, even those who do care don't have the ability to win us football matches. I can honestly say that not one single squad member this season has stood out and really made a difference for us, dug in when the going gets tough, picked up his team-mates to get us over the line for a point away from home, scored a belter from 25 yards or put his bollocks on the line to make a goal saving challenge. It's no wonder we are nosediving toward League 2. Terrible, terrible squad of players.

JulianDarbyFTW

I can honestly say that not one single squad member this season has stood out and really made a difference for us, dug in when the going gets tough, picked up his team-mates.

The decision to get rid of Vincelot was, for me, the turning point. The one player in the squad who would never give up no matter how good / bad he was playing. We have a team of players that are disconnected from the fans and who show little desire on the pitch, in turn creating an even wider gap. I could accept (only just, mind) relegation if I could see some blood, sweat and tears for the cause. Instead we get apathy. To the best of my knowledge, not one single player has spoken out about how the team are letting the fans / club / other players down. Nobody in our dressing room has the balls to do it, and that is half of the problem.

stevefloyd

When I was playing in the Sunday leagues I was playing usually 1st division with the occasional outing in the prem division.. I was just a stop gap for the prem but held my own in div 1 as I got older towards the end of my playing I dropped down the leagues and to an extent I thought I was too good because I had played a better standard then we had a manager who came in and motivated all of us he was full of shit but believable and got us playing and fighting for places... I scored 2 goals in one match and he took me off.. I said why spoil my hat trick he said I had had enough chances for 2 hat tricks... fair point a good kick up the arse for me and brilliant management... we won the league that year . IF it happens at sunday league level its gonna happen at pro level without a doubt... you need a great motivator and someone who knows how to get more out of players.. Clough was brilliant at this and to an extent so was Fergie

Users who are viewing this thread