Just how big is our fan base ? (1 Viewer)

Kilclines curly mullet

I’ve seen pictures all over social media of fans in their shirts recently, from Dubai to Australia.
40k + at wembley twice in arguably the worst time for the club ever...
Selling out pretty much every away game (not interested in the St Andrews argument)

SlowerThanPlatt

Mostly every club can attract lots of fans to Wembley for a day out. It’s about how many attend on a regular basis - about 12,000 in League One and 15,000 in the Championship

bazza16

Quite a few. I live and work in Plymouth and I work with 3 other Cov fans
Also know of a couple others who live in Plymouth and a few who live in Cornwall

Legia Sky Blue

Depends how you judge it. Is the 'fan base' made up of supporters that go to most games, those that only go to a few games a season, only Wembley games, those that used to go but don't go anymore, or those that are abroad and can only watch ifollow? At one extreme its about 6,000 and the other maybe 80,000 so it is what you want it to be depending on your outlook.

steve cooper

Mostly every club can attract lots of fans to Wembley for a day out. It’s about how many attend on a regular basis - about 12,000 in League One and 15,000 in the Championship
Is the post about the fan base though, or about potential match attendance numbers?
I have met fans as far afield as the far east, who live there. 95% of Man. United supporters have never been to a game, apparently.

Paxman II

SBAndy said on another thread he was 27 and never seen us play Villa. Well that's a generational thing, and proof positive many on here have little to no idea what our true fan base is. back in the Championship and holding our own I'd expect 18k as a likely average. We are capable of capacity if we are vying for promotion, and easily capacity most weeks in the premier league unless we are sitting bottom!

Ring Of Steel

SBAndy said on another thread he was 27 and never seen us play Villa. Well that's a generational thing, and proof positive many on here have little to no idea what our true fan base is. back in the Championship and holding our own I'd expect 18k as a likely average. We are capable of capacity if we are vying for promotion, and easily capacity most weeks in the premier league unless we are sitting bottom!

spot on.

Ring Of Steel

Last time we were in the Championship we averaged 15,118- that was a relegation season and we had been in the doldrums for years. So you’re saying that off the back of a run of sustained success and a level of optimism not seen in decades, we’d see a decline in support. Rubbish.

SlowerThanPlatt

Last time we were in the Championship we averaged 15,118- that was a relegation season and we had been in the doldrums for years. So you’re saying that off the back of a run of sustained success and a level of optimism not seen in decades, we’d see a decline in support. Rubbish.

I was talking about Coventry supporters as this is what the thread is about. Our attendances were also boosted by offering 6,000 to away supporters, Birmingham, Leicester and West Ham all took it up

Ring Of Steel

I was talking about Coventry supporters as this is what the thread is about. Our attendances were also boosted by offering 6,000 to away supporters, Birmingham, Leicester and West Ham all took it up

If you want to gauge how the size of the “hard core” support is moving then you also have to look at away support. About 2,000 go everywhere to follow us in League One, it was half that in the Championship and often only a few hundred hardy souls. Away support is probably one of the best barometers there is on fan base & we are on hugely on the up.

Grendel

If you want to gauge how the size of the “hard core” support is moving then you also have to look at away support. About 2,000 go everywhere to follow us in League One, it was half that in the Championship and often only a few hundred hardy souls. Away support is probably one of the best barometers there is on fan base & we are on hugely on the up.

That’s the most stupid argument I’ve ever seen. It makes no sense at all - the away support magnified last time we moved grounds as well

Ring Of Steel

Sorry that this won’t really answer the question, but one thing I have really noticed a lot (particularly when going for my daily lockdown walk) is just how many children are now wearing Coventry City tops...so hopefully that might be a good sign for the future

Right again- and it is a big part of it.

BackRoomRummermill

There are different levels of fans so if you include all variants then at least 50k based on Wembley

I say the above with caution based on the below table

grade 1 fan home or away regular attendee of a game , not having a pissing contest about if you go home and away or just home or just away , the fact is you go .

grade 2 fan someone who can go occasionally follows club generally

grade 3 fan goes a couple of time a year ( me ) follows club generally

grade 4 fan never goes for various reasons but generally follows club

Grade 5 fan does not generally follow club would have no idea who the keeper is but would go to a cup game etc

just my thoughts and not definitive

Greggs

5k hardcore that have watched in all divisions. 10k who watch when we've won a few. 40k bandwagon pisstramps

Tommo1993

On our return from Northampton, at the Gillingham game, the family on the row behind us had absolutely no idea who Steven Pressley was.

Reactions: TTG

Tartan Specials

Bored out of my nut last week so I googled the population of Warwickshire. Think it's something like 750000. Trouble is that about 99% don't go see us. IMO Coventry has never really been a 'football' town in the same way as Newcastle or Portsmouth or places like that. Not a crime, just the way it is.

BackRoomRummermill

Cov did get v big crowds in the 1970 s and before I can remember some 35k plus attendances , I think holliganism , recession , and lack of on pitch success knocked back cov in the early 1980

hill83

Bored out of my nut last week so I googled the population of Warwickshire. Think it's something like 750000. Trouble is that about 99% don't go see us. IMO Coventry has never really been a 'football' town in the same way as Newcastle or Portsmouth or places like that. Not a crime, just the way it is.

Do we have a lot of fans from Warwickshire then? Nuneaton side I can see but south Warwickshire is pure disdain for the city of Coventry isn’t it?

ccfcway

“Rubbish” seems a bit harsh. You think we will get 18k at st Andrews or wherever else we are playing away from cov next season ?

Tartan Specials

I know very little about the city of Coventry and it's environs. Who gets the most support in places like Rugby, Leamington and Warwick?

hill83

I know very little about the city of Coventry and it's environs. Who gets the most support in places like Rugby, Leamington and Warwick?

Depending on age I’d say Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and now Man City. Guessing to be fair but I know more Man United fans than Cov fans and I’m from Cov. Apart from people I know from matches etc.

SlowerThanPlatt

Villa by a distance from the Midlands clubs. Same as how you get Leeds supporters all over Yorkshire in towns like Barnsley and Doncaster

Tartan Specials

Villa by a distance from the Midlands clubs. Same as how you get Leeds supporters all over Yorkshire in towns like Barnsley and Doncaster
The
The Villa bit I can get but I'll never understand people who don't support their own town club. Serious weirdos!!

Legia Sky Blue

I grew up in Rugby until I was 18, and left in 1983, so granted it was a long time ago. However, Cov were far and away the biggest supported team then with an active supporters club arranging coaches to games home and away. There were of course the standard Liverpool/ Man United types too, but I hardly came across any Villa fans. I guess within Warwickshire there would have been more of them in North Warwickshire. Leicester had more fans than Villa in Rugby, although they were still well outnumbered by Cov. With Leicester's recent success the latest generation might be more inclined towards them I suppose, but I left so long ago I don't know if that is the reality now. I also remember going by train to Oxford in the mid 80's, expecting Oxford fans to get on at Banbury but it was all Cov, so we had more support from there than I expected. Again with our slide down the leagues, the latest generations from Banbury have probably been attracted elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread