judgement (1 Viewer)

dongonzalos

With everything as it stands.

Within 8 points of top six by Jan. Or step up to the plate Richard Shaw.

Sign genuine competition for Cody. Then same view but within 8 points if automatic.

Last edited:

torchomatic

Bit early to be thinking about replacing Thorn, isn't it? Maybe we should give him a chance.

ggrady

Leave him alone for a bit we havnt even played a game yet! Just let last season go and stop thinking about sacking him

Otis

Bit early to be thinking about replacing Thorn, isn't it? Maybe we should give him a chance.

I won't be calling for his head unless I can see a top 2 side out there and we're languishing in midtable or look like we should be comfortable midtable and are in the bottom 3.

Otherwise I would give him the entire season to see what he can do.

torchomatic

Yep, can't argue with that.

I won't be calling for his head unless I can see a top 2 side out there and we're languishing in midtable or look like we should be comfortable midtable and are in the bottom 3.

Nonleagueherewecome

Good to see an outbreak of common-sense before the games start stinking up the mood!

stupot07

Completely agree Otis.

Problem is there's a lot of posters who think we have got a top 2 side......

Sick Boy

Completely agree Otis.

One that concerns me is that people seem to think we have signed some real quality players without even really seeing them play. Already there is a potentially unrealistic level of expectation, which could soon turn to frustration if these players don't live up to the hype. Comments about Cody being the league's top scorer are also unrealistic in my opinion and adds even more pressure.

Nonleagueherewecome

Or at least until about 4:50pm today, which is when I expect the forum to be innundated with "Thorn out" threads if we lose and tumbleweed if we win.

Nonleagueherewecome

I predict a 'Thorn Out' thread if we don't win...4 or 5 nil today.

Hell, I predict one if we win 1-0 and are "unconvincing"! We already have one forum member who has said they'd sack Thorn next summer if we get promoted.

Grendel

I predict a 'Thorn Out' thread if we don't win...4 or 5 nil today.

And I predict another poll if we scrape a one nil win like we had Tuesday with a pro manager slant on it.

torchomatic

:eek: I've heard that Alex Ferguson has been given ten games or else Richard Shaw and Lee Carsley are going to be put in charge.

Hell, I predict one if we win 1-0 and are "unconvincing"! We already have one forum member who has said they'd sack Thorn next summer if we get promoted.

Grendel

It isn't against the law to have serious reservations about a manager who has relegation on his cv, 2 away wins only and we are probably about to embark on our most important season ever.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Completely agree Otis.

I would say we have a side that should be genuinely competing for the play offs at least.

We have one of the best back defence in the league I would say in the top 3 for defence.

The attack is a bit more unknown as Fleck and Mcdonald who seem to be peoples main hopes this season are unproven and we have to hope players like Sheff and Baker can step it up in a lower league

craigSKYBLUE

Lets be honest,we should be challenging with this squad,anything less is a fail.personally a manager like gary johnson would relish an opportunity to have a squad like ours,if thorn fails it simply means hes a crap manager...no excuses

torchomatic

Subject to the provisions of this section and sections 137 and 138, for the purposes of this Part an employee is dismissed by his employer if (and only if)—
(a)the contract under which he is employed by the employer is terminated by the employer (whether with or without notice),
[F1(b)he is employed under a limited term contract and that contract terminates by virtue of the limiting event without being renewed under the same contract, or]
(c)the employee terminates the contract under which he is employed (with or without notice) in circumstances in which he is entitled to terminate it without notice by reason of the employer’s conduct.
(d)the employee cannot be dismissed under the terms of the contract if he has less than 3 away wins in the current tenure.

It isn't against the law to have serious reservations about a manager who has relegation on his cv, 2 away wins only and we are probably about to embark on our most important season ever.

Grendel

With regarding to Rule d I will say if this manager has not achieved that by October he is a goner.

stupot07

I would say we have a side that should be genuinely competing for the play offs at least.

We have one of the best back defence in the league I would say in the top 3 for defence.

The attack is a bit more unknown as Fleck and Mcdonald who seem to be peoples main hopes this season are unproven and we have to hope players like Sheff and Baker can step it up in a lower league

But our defense isn't particular proven, Clarke and hussey are still learning, Brown is a novice and Wood has never managed to particular claim a regular first team spot at CB in a poor side.

grego_gee

Lets be honest,we should be challenging with this squad,anything less is a fail.personally a manager like gary johnson would relish an opportunity to have a squad like ours,if thorn fails it simply means hes a crap manager...no excuses

Isn't the managers job mostly to assemble the team - he is then entitled to let them do the business on the pitch!
Ok he is supposed to motivate them too and dictates how we play but the fact he has assembled a team that you acknowledge Johnson would covet shows hes done something right already!

:pimp:

Grendel

But our defense isn't particular proven, Clarke and hussey are still learning, Brown is a novice and Wood has never managed to particular claim a regular first team spot at CB in a poor side.

The comment about Wood is a bit silly. He commanded a regular place in every championship year he has been fit and thorn is the only manager who would have left him on the bench for last seasons opener.
Also you know as well as I do that Clark is a top player already at this level and if Hussey is a concern kilbane could play there. Also we gave thorn a budget to sign 2 French centre halves and if they are no good that's poor judgement by him. We also have Cameron who has competed at a higher level than this and held his own.

torchomatic

Do you remember Bothroyd's first game when he played the kids in the centre? Yikes....

The comment about Wood is a bit silly. He commanded a regular place in every championship year he has been fit and thorn is the only manager who would have left him on the bench for last seasons opener. .

Grendel

Do you remember Bothroyd's first game when he played the kids in the centre? Yikes....

It was a bit odd but didn't wood play left back?

torchomatic

I can't remember to be honest.

stupot07

The comment about Wood is a bit silly. He commanded a regular place in every championship year he has been fit and thorn is the only manager who would have left him on the bench for last seasons opener.
Also you know as well as I do that Clark is a top player already at this level and if Hussey is a concern kilbane could play there. Also we gave thorn a budget to sign 2 French centre halves and if they are no good that's poor judgement by him. We also have Cameron who has competed at a higher level than this and held his own.

Re: Wood Not really - AB's preferred CB partnership was Cameron and Turner, McPake came in for turner when turner got injured (so Wood was effectively 4th choice CB), he played LB quite a bit hence my point about making himself first choice CB. Also AT's preferred partnership was Keogh and Cranie so at best was 3rd choice.

I rate Clarke I think he's going to be a top player, hussey is prone to mistakes and isn't great defensively, Cameron is also prone to mistakes. That is to be expected of young defenders learning.

Grendel

Re: Wood Not really - AB's preferred CB partnership was Cameron and Turner, McPake came in for turner when turner got injured (so Wood was effectively 4th choice CB), he played LB quite a bit hence my point about making himself first choice CB. Also AT's preferred partnership was Keogh and Cranie so at best was 3rd choice.

I rate Clarke I think he's going to be a top player, hussey is prone to mistakes and isn't great defensively, Cameron is also prone to mistakes. That is to be expected of young defenders learning.

Until last season Martin Cranie didn't establish himself at centre half at any club. Who has played more championship games at centre half for any club - wood or Cranie? If Cranie was still here then I assume you would say the same?

RichieGunns

I think if Wood hadn't been injured last season, I'm pretty sure it would have been Wood and Keogh in the centre as Wood had the better calabre than Cranie.

Don't get me wrong, Cranie earned his starting place but without Wood fit, i'm thinking Thorn didn't have much choice. By the time Wood came back, Cranie was entrenched in the side and Wood didn't have a chance.

Wood has the experience to do this job in CB and i for one hope he proves it to people who don't believe he's capable purely because of several unlucky seasons for him...

stupot07

I'm not saying they are shit I'm saying they are not perfect and that sweeping statements like 'they are in the top 3 defences in the league' are inappropriate. This is a different league, needing different strengths.

Grendel

I'm not saying they are shit I'm saying they are not perfect and that sweeping statements like 'they are in the top 3 defences in the league' are inappropriate. This is a different league, needing different strengths.

But I would take a guess on games played wood will have played more championship games than most League 1 defenders. Also more than Keogh and Cranie might I add.

Users who are viewing this thread