JPT Final-if only (1 Viewer)

covboy1987

Attendance 43,000 - Southend 31,000 - Crewe 12,000
Would have been a full house first time at Wembley for a JPT final if Cov had got there organisers must be secretly cursing that Cov never reached the final

Essexrobbie

Agreed. The fact that Crewe scored so early turned the stadium into a morge after only 10 minutes too. Alsot many of the 31,000 Southend fans were probably watching the team for the first time didn't help matters either but certainly a full stadium would have inspired a few of them to open their mouths or at least clap a little.

Baginton

It was the same in 2009 when Luton beat Scunny in the final

40,000 Luton and 15,000 Scunny, Luton completely filled half of Wembley and Scunny filled the bottom tier leaving the top teir empty, such a shame!

good game though, full of twists and turns, Luton eventually won it with an extra time goal, the best bit was booing Brian Mawhinney who had just overseen their point deduction :jerkit:

Just googled and saw Joe Murphy was the Scunny keeper in that game lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmSELlQ_kRo&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Last edited:

torchomatic

Yes, I said this at the time. The sponsors must have been pissed that we didn't get there. I think we'd have taken 43K on our own. Maybe next year, eh?

Attendance 43,000 - Southend 31,000 - Crewe 12,000
Would have been a full house first time at Wembley for a JPT final if Cov had got there organisers must be secretly cursing that Cov never reached the final

hill83

Said this before, I'm starting to sound like a Crewe fan, but their population (admittedly in 2001) is 67,683.

Less than Nuneaton. I'm in no way suprised they took 10k. They are a tiny town overperforming massively.

They haven't got the numbers to fall back on, the 30-40k day trippers.
We are a big city, they aren't.

It's the equivalent of saying that you can't believe San Marino 'only' took 10k. A country with a population of 32k.

Last edited:

Moff

Said this before, I'm starting to sound like a Crewe fan, but their population (admittedly in 2001) is 67,683.

Less than Nuneaton. I'm in no way suprised they took 10k. They are a tiny town overperforming massively.

It's the equivalent of saying that you can't believe San Marino 'only' took 10k. A country with a population of 32k.

I totally agree.

Fair play to Crewe they got to the final, and won it, something we all wish we had done. Congratulations to them for doing something we couldnt.

As for attendances etc at Wembley, we wont ever know unless we get there. Its been 26 years since we last went, lets hope it less than that to get there again.

rob9872

Did anyone see the t-shirts they had for Adam Dugdale and his wife? Tragedy and awful news, as a father you can only feel for the lad.

However, the shirts read: "Your in our thoughts". I know we get grammar mistakes on here and really it doesn't matter, but particularly in this instance as the message was the most important part and to let him know, but still it shows a little lack of respect not to get it right.

I also thought it was an odd decision to give that lad his debut at Wembley. I would be a litttle peed off if I was a member of the squad - especially if I had played a part in helping them achieve the dream of playing at Wembley, only to see someone else get a token involvement on the big day. Poor man management imo.

skybluesteve76

They beat us over two legs, got to Wembley and won the JP Trophy, not bad for a 'joke club'

Sour grapes SBS is such an unattractive quality in anyone.:whistle:

Who do you support then? They've always been a joke club...didn't need the JPT to tell me that. Sour grapes or not

Simply the best
Better than all the rest

skybluesteve76

Because In my opinion they are a tinpot city with a tinpot ground with arrogant tinpot fans!
They didn't even sell out the semi against us home or away?
Just strike me as not being particularly passionate.
Remind me a lot of Wigan, you go there and it's pictures of Rugby League everywhere!

Simply the best
Better than all the rest

RoboCCFC90

Because In my opinion they are a tinpot city with a tinpot ground with arrogant tinpot fans!
Remind me a lot of Wigan, you go there and it's pictures of Rugby League everywhere!

Simply the best
Better than all the rest

I wouldn't say they're a joke club mate that's being a little harsh, Crewe isn't a big place but you have to say fair play to them for punching above the weight of what many people thought was possible.

With regards to Wigan, Wigan has always been a stronger Rugby place than Football, simply because of the success that they in the Super League, Football is obviously remains the National Sport, but it's very difficult to convert a new generation of fans from Wigan Warriors who are constantly fighting for the Super League title to Wigan Athletic who are teetering on relegation from the Premier League and have been for some time.

Baginton

Simply the best
Better than all the rest

your talking one load of bollox pal, I bet they are run better than we are, I bet they ain't in £60m worth of debt,
Fair play to them, remember, they are still above us in the table and they beat us 3-0 at home in front of 31,000 fans

who are the joke team ??

ANY FAN WHO SUPPORTS THEIR LOCAL TEAM SHOULD BE APPLAUDED, ITS BETTER THEN SUPPORTING THE MAN UTD'S OR CHELSEA'S LIKE SO MANY DO!

Last edited:

skybluesteve76

your talking one load of bollox pal, I bet they are run better than we are, I bet they ain't in £60m worth of debt,
Fair play to them, remember, they are still above us in the table and they beat us 3-0 at home in front of 31,000 fans

who are the joke team ??

ANY FAN WHO SUPPORTS THEIR LOCAL TEAM SHOULD BE APPLAUDED, ITS BETTER THEN SUPPORTING THE MAN UTD'S OR CHELSEA'S LIKE SO MANY DO!

Wind your neck in sweetheart.....just an opinion.

Simply the best
Better than all the rest

BLAKESCREWE

You have to win a two legged semi to get there, you did`nt, we did, we dominated the game yesterday too, 56% possession, more shots on target, 2 great goals from Crewe born players, local pride or what! and regarding the Crewe following, fine, at least we have`nt got as many day trippers as others!

BLAKESCREWE

thank you, a sensible post here at last!

tippex9

Well done Crewe, in my opinion easily the better side yesterday, beat us three times this season & are hardly going to have a huge following given the size of Crewe itself. Wigan barely scrape 10,000 at home, they still play in the Prem. Attendances mean nothing, winning games does.

I don't begrudge Crewe fans a day in the sun at Wembley, that's just being a sore loser. We had ours admittedly 26 years ago but we earned that like they did this year.

See them next season & hopefully we can wrestle back the upper hand.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Has the final been played? Who won? Wasn't even bothered about it! :D

Covstu

We shot ourselves in the foot at home when we gifted them 3 goals, we did not deserve to go through at that point. The better team won and fair play to them going on to win it.

Davs

I was there

I was actually at the final, my In-Laws live in Southend so I went with them.:claping hands:

It is a real shame we did not get there, as the Southend fans were really up for it, and if they had played us the place would have been full. The atmosphere was dented by Southend conceding so early.

I could not get over how bitter I was seeing all the Crewe fans enjoying their day out:jerkit:

Fantastic stadium and it has just stoked my desire for us to get there, although I think I might have a long wait.

With regard to the game itself, Crewe were the same as they were against us. They had a go for the first 10 minutes of each half then sat back. Southend had 2 penalty shouts waved away and a goal disallowed, but were hampered by a truly awful display by some guy called Mohsni. So we will probably sign him next season:facepalm:

BLAKESCREWE

Great club ,great manager, 2 trophies in 11 months! seems some of you still have`nt got over us beating you 3 times this season and twice on your own gaff!

Users who are viewing this thread