Josh Reid set to sign (1 Viewer)

Tartan Specials

Because Sturgeon will have to build a huge fence at the border to keep all the sane Scots from leaving
Thankfully, according to the polls, the 'sane' count is below 50% and has been for about three years now. Sturgeon is vile is she? As opposed to BoJo or Corbyn? As to your jibe about a 700 year old chip on our shoulders, pretty rich coming from a country that voted for Brexit based on endless re-runs of The Great Escape.

NortonSkyBlue

Thankfully, according to the polls, the 'sane' count is below 50% and has been for about three years now. Sturgeon is vile is she? As opposed to BoJo or Corbyn? As to your jibe about a 700 year old chip on our shoulders, pretty rich coming from a country that voted for Brexit based on endless re-runs of The Great Escape.
You are entitled to have your opinion about Sturgeon, with more knowledge and insight than those of us south of the border. Similar to Brexit and it’s never ending hold on the news cycle I do wish the issue of Scottish independence would go away one way or another. it does the United Kingdom so much harm and fosters bad feelings throughout the land.

Grendel

You are entitled to have your opinion about Sturgeon, with more knowledge and insight than those of us south of the border. Similar to Brexit and it’s never ending hold on the news cycle I do wish the issue of Scottish independence would go away one way or another. it does the United Kingdom so much harm and fosters bad feelings throughout the land.

You don’t have to live in Scotland to know about Sturgeon

Murrell and sturgeon look to be offering very inconsistent versions on the Salmond scandal - something I’m convinced will bring her down.

The cal Mac scandal I’m sure is the tip of another iceberg as well

The U.K. revenues they receive for public funds is preferential to other countries but many social and economic pointers in Scotland have declined

She has one mission - independence - she’s a mini Farage

The campaign is a flawed one and she can never answer any key questions about how an independent Scotland would actually in practice work with no currency and WTO terms which its major consumer of its goods

Tartan Specials

You don’t have to live in Scotland to know about Sturgeon

Murrell and sturgeon look to be offering very inconsistent versions on the Salmond scandal - something I’m convinced will bring her down.

The cal Mac scandal I’m sure is the tip of another iceberg as well

The U.K. revenues they receive for public funds is preferential to other countries but many social and economic pointers in Scotland have declined

She has one mission - independence - she’s a mini Farage

The campaign is a flawed one and she can never answer any key questions about how an independent Scotland would actually in practice work with no currency and WTO terms which its major consumer of its goods
I'd imagine it would work in the same way every other small independent country in Europe would work. We discovered oil and gas at roughly the same time as Norway, which has the same population and natural resources as Scotland. Currently we have a budget deficit of approximately £175 billion - Norway has a surplus of about £800 billion. I know it's a football forum but some of the comments here are not only ignorant but verging on the racist. Anyways, PUSB.

Grendel

I'd imagine it would work in the same way every other small independent country in Europe would work. We discovered oil and gas at roughly the same time as Norway, which has the same population and natural resources as Scotland. Currently we have a budget deficit of approximately £175 billion - Norway has a surplus of about £800 billion. I know it's a football forum but some of the comments here are not only ignorant but verging on the racist. Anyways, PUSB.

Norway has its own currency - the argument is an argument constantly used by The SNP going back years and has constantly been discredited

Other than population size and landscape there are few similarities

shmmeee

Yup. No pressure.

Bad the players were applauding him in training. Interesting point from Robins saying he is much more advanced in terms of his development than Sam at the same stage.

That interview made it sound like Robins was thinking about chucking him in already!

Tartan Specials

Norway has its own currency - the argument is an argument constantly used by The SNP going back years and has constantly been discredited

Other than population size and landscape there are few similarities
By whom? IMO the referendum was called at the wrong time. One of the big sticks we were hit with at the time was 'Scotland can't survive out with the EU'. How did that one work out? As to the currency, what is to stop us having our own in an independent state? So many people in England wrongly equate independence with the SNP. More and more Labour voters here believe in independence as the only way to rid us of the Tories. I've voted SNP all my life but I see them as right wing and reactionary, come the great day it would be Green/Labour (we're slightly more civilized here as we have PR 😀).

better days

By whom? IMO the referendum was called at the wrong time. One of the big sticks we were hit with at the time was 'Scotland can't survive out with the EU'. How did that one work out? As to the currency, what is to stop us having our own in an independent state? So many people in England wrongly equate independence with the SNP. More and more Labour voters here believe in independence as the only way to rid us of the Tories. I've voted SNP all my life but I see them as right wing and reactionary, come the great day it would be Green/Labour (we're slightly more civilized here as we have PR 😀).
A genuine question TS
How do people in Scotland see the views of the English 'man in the street'
Do they think we are all desperate to hold onto a country that wants to leave the Union?

cov donkey kick

The new phsco hey well a bold statement and must have impressed at the 1st training session good news if half as good as physco as I remember he came from Wealdstone and after the season he arrived knew he was something special.
Can see this lad being given an early opportiunity or 2.

Brighton Sky Blue

Could get into a long back and forth on this but best saved for a separate thread or the DMs possibly. But yes, I can read the polls, didn’t vote for Brexit and guess what, Wales did too.

Tartan Specials

A genuine question TS
How do people in Scotland see the views of the English 'man in the street'
Do they think we are all desperate to hold onto a country that wants to leave the Union?
Not really. The whole thing has died down since 2014. Anti-English feeling has been dwindling and is now now not much more than 90 minute nationalism at Hampden (as an aside, the majority of football fans here loathe the 'Tartan Army'). The whole 'Union' thing is vastly overrated, it's very rarely mentioned. Perversely, the biggest Nationalist recruiting sergeants have been the biggest Unionists, eg Thatcher and Johnson. In a long winded way what I'm trying to say is that a lot of Scottish nationalists are essentially anti-Tory at heart more than anything else.

Colin Steins Smile

TS - thanks for your input.

I can quite understand the feelings of many in Scotland towards independence, given their antipathy to the Conservative government and Boris Johnson being seen as a "gift" to boosting the independence vote.

As for the use of the oil and gas revenues to plug holes in the UK's daily spending, I believe that has been overlooked by many in the rest of the UK. It was Tony Benn who created a wealth fund, similar to Norways for the long term investments and you are right in pointing out how Norway has investments that will give them returns over the long term in a variety of industries, etc. Unfortunately, it was the Thatcher government that snapped this and diverted the revenues into general spending.

IMO. There are several issues for Scotland to consider. Given the recent Brexit divorce talks - does anyone think Scotland would get a fair deal in separation? I'm not sure that the rest of Britain would agree to that. Secondly, if Scotland joined the EU, then a hard border between England and Scotland would be created with the massive disruption that would cause and many industries would suffer. Additionally, Scotland would have to adopt the Euro, which has plus and minuses.

All in all it will be very disruptive and talks could take years to unravel the independences and I can't see a government south of the border acting in a co-operative manner.

Grendel

TS - thanks for your input.

I can quite understand the feelings of many in Scotland towards independence, given their antipathy to the Conservative government and Boris Johnson being seen as a "gift" to boosting the independence vote.

As for the use of the oil and gas revenues to plug holes in the UK's daily spending, I believe that has been overlooked by many in the rest of the UK. It was Tony Benn who created a wealth fund, similar to Norways for the long term investments and you are right in pointing out how Norway has investments that will give them returns over the long term in a variety of industries, etc. Unfortunately, it was the Thatcher government that snapped this and diverted the revenues into general spending.

IMO. There are several issues for Scotland to consider. Given the recent Brexit divorce talks - does anyone think Scotland would get a fair deal in separation? I'm not sure that the rest of Britain would agree to that. Secondly, if Scotland joined the EU, then a hard border between England and Scotland would be created with the massive disruption that would cause and many industries would suffer. Additionally, Scotland would have to adopt the Euro, which has plus and minuses.

All in all it will be very disruptive and talks could take years to unravel the independences and I can't see a government south of the border acting in a co-operative manner.

If the Eu stick to its own rules it would be at least two years before they could gain access - they get per head more funding then any other U.K. country

Tartan Specials

Could get into a long back and forth on this but best saved for a separate thread or the DMs possibly. But yes, I can read the polls, didn’t vote for Brexit and guess what, Wales did too.
I agree that it's for another thread but I'm sure I read that the majority of Welsh people actually voted to remain in the EU? Anyways, here's hoping Mr Reid goes on to to have a glittering career for us, whichever passport he chooses to hold. 🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Brighton Sky Blue

Not really. The whole thing has died down since 2014. Anti-English feeling has been dwindling and is now now not much more than 90 minute nationalism at Hampden (as an aside, the majority of football fans here loathe the 'Tartan Army'). The whole 'Union' thing is vastly overrated, it's very rarely mentioned. Perversely, the biggest Nationalist recruiting sergeants have been the biggest Unionists, eg Thatcher and Johnson. In a long winded way what I'm trying to say is that a lot of Scottish nationalists are essentially anti-Tory at heart more than anything else.

The traditional SNP heartlands are not in the former Labour dominated central belt but up north and in rural areas where attitudes are more small c conservative, hence why the NE virtually all flipped blue in 2017 over Brexit. I would be quite happy to continue in DM or an off topic thread, but I’ve heard all the ‘it’s not about being anti English’ and ‘civic nationalism’ arguments before along with all the rest.

All it will do if it happens is divide people who share a lot more in common than either set realise or want to admit. And will probably leave both sets the worse off for it.

Colin Steins Smile

If the Eu stick to its own rules it would be at least two years before they could gain access - they get per head more funding then any other U.K. country
Agree and in any independence settlement the economic shock to Scotland would be very significant and would lead to a mixture of increases in government borrowing [at a larger cost], taxes or cuts in services. It could get messy

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree that it's for another thread but I'm sure I read that the majority of Welsh people actually voted to remain in the EU? Anyways, here's hoping Mr Reid goes on to to have a glittering career for us, whichever passport he chooses to hold. 🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Wales voted leave by 52.5 to 47.5.

Tartan Specials

I'm a simple man, trying to make my kippers for breakfast! 😀. I don't know, I think it would all work out - the Brexit talks did to an extent. I agree, Tony Benn was (in this instance) a far sighted genius. Thatcherism was a plague which devastated this country - I remember all the Coventry car workers bragging about buying their council houses (nice house, pity you don't have a proper job anymore!). As to BSB - I think our Loyalist chums in Norniron have the stickiest fingers - anyways, can I sign off by retiring to my toast and kippers and wishing all the best to Cov fans the world over in the erstwhile hope that we play a flat back four today. 😀🐘

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm a simple man, trying to make my kippers for breakfast! 😀. I don't know, I think it would all work out - the Brexit talks did to an extent. I agree, Tony Benn was (in this instance) a far sighted genius. Thatcherism was a plague which devastated this country - I remember all the Coventry car workers bragging about buying their council houses (nice house, pity you don't have a proper job anymore!). As to BSB - I think our Loyalist chums in Norniron have the stickiest fingers - anyways, can I sign off by retiring to my toast and kippers and wishing all the best to Cov fans the world over in the erstwhile hope that we play a flat back four today. 😀🐘

Of course, and you remind me of most of the Scottish mates I went to games, the pub, the student curry houses with-in agreement on very many things but polar opposites on this issue.

dadgad

Brexit was a racist project upheld by liars and believed by the gullible. On average the Scottish receive a higher standard of education.
Devolution started the break up of the Union; another consequence of that prize c**t Blair.

Tartan Specials

The traditional SNP heartlands are not in the former Labour dominated central belt but up north and in rural areas where attitudes are more small c conservative, hence why the NE virtually all flipped blue in 2017 over Brexit. I would be quite happy to continue in DM or an off topic thread, but I’ve heard all the ‘it’s not about being anti English’ and ‘civic nationalism’ arguments before along with all the rest.

All it will do if it happens is divide people who share a lot more in common than either set realise or want to admit. And will probably leave both sets the worse off for it.
Happy to do that as I'm sure the majority of people here have little interest in this topic. As a final aside, I said 'Welsh' people, ie people who were actually born and raised in the place (sorry if that makes me sound like a mad cottage burner!). Finally, and please please finally as my kippers are getting cold, I'm old and have no idea what/who DM is!!! PUSB.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I agree tthe likes of Thatcher and Johnson do more for independence than anyone, but I think that's because they don't recognise it as an actual issue and don't think people really believe in it. Just like Cameron and Brexit - he called that because he just thought nowhere near enough people would seriously consider it.

I think the issue is that Scotland's independence movement is heavily weighted on the oil and gas reserves but those will be dying industries as everything moves towards green technology (although Scotland would be able to generate a lot via wind and tidal) so it's a short term thing.

Also if they wanted to rejoin the EU taking on the Euro would be a prerequisite and if you did gain access to all that oil and gas revenue they'd expect you to be a major contributor and you'd receive a lot less EU funding than before IMO. So it'd be meet the new boss same as the old boss.

I don't necessarily think independence would be a disaster for Scotland but it sure wouldn't be this fix-all many of the nationalists are selling it as. And they wouldn't have the fallback of being able to blame Westminster. Scotland should look at Brexit as a cautionary tale and be careful what you wish for. We went into that without any real idea as to what we'd do afterwards and the SNP give me that same impression.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Happy to do that as I'm sure the majority of people here have little interest in this topic. As a final aside, I said 'Welsh' people, ie people who were actually born and raised in the place (sorry if that makes me sound like a mad cottage burner!). Finally, and please please finally as my kippers are getting cold, I'm old and have no idea what/who DM is!!! PUSB.

Private message!

Users who are viewing this thread