Josh Eccles (1 Viewer)

procdoc

I was following the match thread, in hindsight was he really that bad?! It’s hard to believe someone could be that terrible!

sw88

Chief Commentator!
He was poor but only on the same level as others.
I've always had my reservations about 'utility' players who say they can play in multiple positions. Surely it's better to concentrate on one and master that before trying to fit in anywhere?

personally I don't think he was the worst player but he didn't do much to set the world alight. I thought at times he was a bit lost perhaps, and maybe midfield isn't the position for him? If Robins persists with considering him as a more of a WB then perhaps he needs to revert to that role?

fatso

I've always had my reservations about 'utility' players who say they can play in multiple positions. Surely it's better to concentrate on one and master that before trying to fit in anywhere?

personally I don't think he was the worst player but he didn't do much to set the world alight. I thought at times he was a bit lost perhaps, and maybe midfield isn't the position for him? If Robins persists with considering him as a more of a WB then perhaps he needs to revert to that role?
But he was piss poor as a RWB on Sunday!
I don't want to wright the lad off after 2 games of the season, but it's difficult to see where he's going to fit in.
He might get a place on the bench due to being flexible, but being crap in numerous positions isn't going to make you a career.

PVA

To be fair I don't think he's a utility player and I don't think it's his choice to play RWB.

He's obviously a central midfielder and got chucked in at RWB when we were desperate, and just happened to do well there.

With Burroughs seemingly having jumped up the pecking order recently I don't think we'll see too much of Eccles at RWB going forwards (unless Dabo gets injured!)

Dominic H

To be fair I don't think he's a utility player and I don't think it's his choice to play RWB.

He's obviously a central midfielder and got chucked in at RWB when we were desperate, and just happened to do well there.

With Burroughs seemingly having jumped up the pecking order recently I don't think we'll see too much of Eccles at RWB going forwards (unless Dabo gets injured!)

Surely you’ve not just stated something everyone already knows, obviously he’s not a RWB

Robins has done the same with all upcoming academy midfielders

Shipley come through as a CM and got put LWB
Bayliss come through as a CM and got put RWB
Howley plays number 10 for Under 23’s or 18’s and has Been playing CB

CCFC54321

Fans have got their boo-boy replacement for Jordan Shipley the comments last night throughout the match were pathetic towards a youngster finding his way in his early career, how many games has he played ? a dozen ? awful supporters.
We all want him to do well and I think he will become established but he’s been around the first team for 4 seasons now and must make it happen this season.

He will, just needs to make it happen.

PVA

Surely you’ve not just stated something everyone already knows, obviously he’s not a RWB

The other post said Eccles is a utility player, I was saying no he's not he's a CM.

Bayliss never played RWB. We didn't even play wing backs when he was here!

Shipley played what, 2 games at LWB?

Howley has played 10 minutes at CB.

Liquid Gold

I'm really just being pendantic here but Shipley and Bayliss played LM and RM respectively.

We didn't play with wingbacks until after Bayliss had left.

Irish Sky Blue

Feel sorry for the kid, hung out to dry on Sunday against Sunderland in a position he’s only played in against poor sides, then gets played in a young 11 against Bristol city’s first team. Admittedly he was poor in both games but his confidence is shot 1 game into the season
He played excellently at Southampton as a wing back. I don’t think that they are a poor side. He just needs to be given a chance to prove himself and not be written off after a couple of poor games.

Dominic H

The other post said Eccles is a utility player, I was saying no he's not he's a CM.

Bayliss never played RWB. We didn't even play wing backs when he was here!

Shipley played what, 2 games at LWB?

Howley has played 10 minutes at CB.

Think ur missing my point, where they played is irrelevant, my point is that robins makes young lads coming through the academy play in different positions, almost learn a new position in the first team the question is why?

And if we are splitting hairs about positions then howley actually come on in the 78th minute on Wednesday with +6 minutes added on, so I mean I’ve seen him play CB more then 10 mins, dunno about you 🤗

Dominic H

He played excellently at Southampton as a wing back. I don’t think that they are a poor side. He just needs to be given a chance to prove himself and not be written off after a couple of poor games.

I think he’s got a lot of potential and when I watched him in CM against Walsall he was phenomenal but as a young kid coming through you need that arrogance and confidence and you can tell at the minute he’s lacking in that Department

bawtryneal

I dídnt go to the Bristol game but some of the comments written on here by people who should know better were scandalous
He is a young player learning his trade who is obviously low on confidence
Slagging off every bad pass etc will not help anybody other than created a drama on here
Make comments for sure but get some perspective.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Viveash really rates this lad and thinks he could have a great career
But his confidence is shot
Look how he took to social media to apologise for his earlier below par performance
He really needs to get his head down and stop reading social media
This. Eccles is a good player. It was obvious that as the Sunderland game wore on his confidence was dropping. This happens to young players.

We should have took him off at half time, with Dabo on the bench - Eccles needs to be taken out of the firing line, go back to performing for the U23s and rebuild his confidence.

there’s a good player in there

Balli001

This. Eccles is a good player. It was obvious that as the Sunderland game wore on his confidence was dropping. This happens to young players.

We should have took him off at half time, with Dabo on the bench - Eccles needs to be taken out of the firing line, go back to performing for the U23s and rebuild his confidence.

there’s a good player in there
Sheaf had a whole season of it. Difference being Eccles is 'one or our own'

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Sheaf had a whole season of it. Difference being Eccles is 'one or our own'
I had no problem with Sheaf. I generally found he was a good player and said many times on here. His problem was for me bad luck as he made no more mistakes than others, just when he did make a mistake it almost always led to a goal.

eccles is a confidence issue, maybe not helped by his badly timed injuries

David O'Day

is the boo boy this year? we have some plums as fans

the lad who said bayliss had played rwb, wow

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

He's had a couple of bad games to start the season (one out of position) but I don't think that's writing him off for saying so. When he was performing well last season and people were saying he would have a great future, were they over-hyping him.

I think he's got enough talent to make it, but if his confidence has taken such a hammering after a couple of bad games I think his biggest challenge is going to be on the mental side of things and believing in himself. Even the best go through periods of bad form.

NorthernWisdom

I mean Godden missed an absolute sitter first game and was pretty anonymous. The Sunderland game wasn’t a good indicator for most of the players
Eccles was especially bad in that game tbf, at least in my eyes, and I said so at the time. I also made sure I mentioned his previous good games mind you, as a reason not to write him off!

(And yeah, Godden was poor v Sunderland, no argument over that in isolation).

Nothing wrong in saying a player's had a bad game, am sure the players know when they have themselves! That's very different from writing them off entirely on little evidence, however.

Users who are viewing this thread