Jordan Shipley (1 Viewer)

rob9872

My owl has a wing span of 6'5" and no you can't shag it

Frostie

That they think Hyam was just filling in for someone suggests they're not aware of him being player of the year last season

The writers on that site are absolutely clueless, don't think they've ever seen us play. See their previous 'story' about us saying that Junior Brown was a cert to play at RB... :emoji_unamused:

cc84cov

His main asset is his goals. If they don’t come I fail to see what he really adds in a game
If he stopped scoring he would be out of the 11 he’s one of them players who can pop up and score THAT goal bar that he doesn’t offer much out he doesn’t impose himself enough maybe down to he stops receiving the ball,Saturday he was woeful couldn’t even control the ball.

Sky Blue Pete

If he stopped scoring he would be out of the 11 he’s one of them players who can pop up and score THAT goal bar that he doesn’t offer much out he doesn’t impose himself enough maybe down to he stops receiving the ball,Saturday he was woeful couldn’t even control the ball.
Wow really? First half he was excellent

Grendel

i understand that and agree sometimes he isnt in the game

but he must be good to take a team from relegation fodder to auto promotion chasers!

I’ve haven’t said we are promotion chasers

harvey098

“If he stopped scoring he would be out the 11” I think that’s the same for most goalscorers?!

I’ve seen a few people jump on this bandwagon about him having a bad touch?! He miscontrolled a couple within a short space of time and now it’s become a “thing”. He’s a good player and out reigning top goal scorer. He does fine.

DannyThomas_1981

Be honest with yourselves, look at the stats, can somebody tell me why bayliss was more highly rated? In terms of all round contribution Shipley is no worse

I think that's a fair point Evo. I haven't seen the stats but Shipley is very effective in a midfield 3 both driving forward and scoring.
I would say that Bayliss is a better technical player and has the ability to run with the ball and literally glide by players (at his best Bayliss reminds me of Paul Gascoigne when he's on the ball). To be fair we didn't see the best of 10 Bags last year as he was mainly operating in a midfield defensive 2 with Kelly - restricted his natural game. Bayliss in our midfield 3 would be a fantastic fit.
On saying all of that, Shipley is dynamic and a real goal threat from midfield - something we've been missing for a long time. And although he hasn't shown it 100% so far this season he's very decent on free kicks/corners - I remember Ships scoring a stunning free kick early in his career. I agree with you - Ships adds a lot to our team.

DannyThomas_1981

Shipley has worked on a key area he was lacking - his fitness. His involvement in games has been greater and his interchange passing far better

He will get goals as well and will work for the team

Everyone laughs at the mention of Paul Telfer but in his first season his engine was good and teams need players like that and I would out Shipley in that bracket

Overall he has been more effective than Westbrook who is insipid by comparison

I agree with most of this Grendel - although it's very tempting to just quote one of your favourite lines and say 'Telfer was shite.' Only joking!

On saying that we certainly should have accepted £4MM from Blackburn for Telfer or whatever silly money they were offering. I agree he had a good engine and was a team player but could never understand what role he could really play.

He was certainly no midfield destroyer or someone who could mark anyone out of the game - he lacked pace for that role. His awareness and vision was very limited for a top class Premiership player so he was no midfield playmaker either. He was certainly no Mcallister with his passing.

His best position was probably on the right of a midfield 4 but he lacked pace to take on a full back and I don't recall his crossing being top class. That's why he ultimately ended up at right back but he never looked like a natural in that position to me.

He was obviously a decent professional but limited in what he did. Strachan had numerous opportunities to evolve the team and replace decent but limited performers such as Telfer (as you say Telfer did not progress) but he never did - other teams moved forward as a result - we were relegated. Compare that to Robins who has consistently evolved and moved the team forward in all positions replacing decent but limited professionals along the way.

Sky Blue Pete

I agree with most of this Grendel - although it's very tempting to just quote one of your favourite lines and say 'Telfer was shite.' Only joking!

On saying that we certainly should have accepted £4MM from Blackburn for Telfer or whatever silly money they were offering. I agree he had a good engine and was a team player but could never understand what role he could really play.

He was certainly no midfield destroyer or someone who could mark anyone out of the game - he lacked pace for that role. His awareness and vision was very limited for a top class Premiership player so he was no midfield playmaker either. He was certainly no Mcallister with his passing.

His best position was probably on the right of a midfield 4 but he lacked pace to take on a full back and I don't recall his crossing being top class. That's why he ultimately ended up at right back but he never looked like a natural in that position to me.

He was obviously a decent professional but limited in what he did. Strachan had numerous opportunities to evolve the team and replace decent but limited performers such as Telfer (as you say Telfer did not progress) but he never did - other teams moved forward as a result - we were relegated. Compare that to Robins who has consistently evolved and moved the team forward in all positions replacing decent but limited professionals along the way.
Different level but absolutely right

DannyThomas_1981

Hiwulla makes little impact on games for the majority of it. His work rate has improved a bit but the issue with him is he can have zero impact on the game and his mentality when he is having a bad day is poor

I think that's right actually - Hiwula is a confidence player and we certainly do carry him at times. On the other hand he scores key goals and his pace is a real asset.
I think it will be interesting if we play a midfield 3 of O'Hare - Kelly - Allen.....would this additional creativity mean that we will see the best of Hiwula over 90 minutes as they would be able to pass into the channels and get him more involved throughout the game?
If that doesn't work then we might see a front 3 of Kast - Godden - Jobs with Hiwula replacing one of the 3 around 60 minutes?

PeterNdlovu14

Players will ultimately be selected based on what they provide us in 3 phases of the game; what they do in/out of possession as well as transitions from having the ball to not having it and vice versa.

Shipley has an engine on him that allows him to run box to box and support attacks as well as get back in behind the ball out of possession.

Hiwula likewise. He tracked the runs of the Gillingham full back well in the second half. Sounds simple but wide players so often switch off with this. Jobello for Pompeys second goal is a prime example. Wakefield also shortly after coming on at the weekend was caught ball watching.

Shipley may not always be consistent with his passing but from a manager's point of view you know that you'll get someone who'll make recovery runs when don't have the ball and make forward runs when we do have it.

We're a better side with him in the team in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread