oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Seconded TRS

Thank you and RIP Jon Lord

Grendel

Yes a real rock icon.

Will be sadly missed.

TheHellion

Jon, The music you made with Deep Purple really was as valid as anything by Beethoven. A true great. If it hadn't been for the combination of Jon Lord and Deep Purple, maybe the kind of music I listen to would have had a very different outcome. He was more than just part of a band, he was part of a band that defined a whole movement, a genre of music, that evolved and inspired so many other great bands. He was a core part of the Deep Purple fabric, a key element to their sound. And a great player to boot.

A terrible loss for the world of Rock.

redsox

Facebook User
A true gentleman, a rock legend and a true master of his art. R.I.P Lordy.

musicmanskyblue

Very sad to lose Jon... Still listen to lots of old Deep Purple stuff... In Rock.. Machine Head.. Made In Japan etc... Great Hammond player... r.i.p....

Disorganised1

Remember going to see them at the old Cov Theatre - where the Transport Museum is now for you youngsters - awesome night, the balcony was swaying up and down as we rocked our heads off.

musicmanskyblue

Remember going to see them at the old Cov Theatre - where the Transport Museum is now for you youngsters - awesome night, the balcony was swaying up and down as we rocked our heads off.

I was there too.. Never missed a Deep Purple concert back in the day.. Cov Theatre was a great old venue for bands... good days...

Grendel

I was there too.. Never missed a Deep Purple concert back in the day.. Cov Theatre was a great old venue for bands... good days...

It's amazing to think the bands that played there. My first was Thin Lizzy they almost blew the roof off.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
The Beatles and the Rolling Stones also played the Cov Theatre many years ago.

Grendel

I always thought that as well but other people have said it was the Locarno. That's the library for youngsters. PUSB

Too young to know but this is what it says;

'My Ding-a-Ling' was originally recorded by Dave Bartholomew in 1952 for King Records. When Bartholomew moved to Imperial Records, he re-recorded the song under the new title, 'Little Girl Sing Ding-a-Ling'. In 1954, The Bees on Imperial released a version entitled "Toy Bell." Berry recorded a version called "My Tambourine" in 1968, but the version which topped the charts was recorded live during the Lanchester Arts Festival at the Locarno ballroom in Coventry, England, on 3 February 1972, where Berry – backed by The Roy Young Band – topped a bill that also included Slade and Billy Preston.

musicmanskyblue

I thought it was at The Locarno.. Could have been the same night as The Locarno hosted two gigs on the same night.. Chuck Berry and Pink Floyd..

Strange to think of Pink Floyd playing there.. oh yeah, saw Zeppelin there too... incredible to think of it now...

Last edited:

wingy

God some memeories kicking in here ,Rip Lordy .The dinner breaks up at my mates house listening to all these and smoking as many as we could before getting back to School.Billy Preston mentioned there also ,another Genious Keyboard player

musicmanskyblue

Saw Genesis with Pete Gabriel at the Lanch... Thin Lizzy at the same time Whisky in the Jar was in the charts.. E.L.O.. Steppenwolf... Anybody remember anymore?...

Disorganised1

I was at the Lanch that night, so I can claim to have sung on a number 1 record. Also saw Madness and Selecter there, what a night that was - room full Cov Ska Boys and West Ham NF !

Saw Curved Air at the Lanch, I was sat right at the front and was able to determine that Sonja Crystal ( or what ever her name was) performed commando, and was a natural blonde.

Loudest concert I've attended was at Cov Theatre, Slade - nearly blew the building apart.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Golden Earring, Sweet and Hawkwind in 70's at the Lanch..... thats a mix of music lol

Grendel

TheRoyalScam

I was rocking in the balcony with you at the Deep Purple concert too - same set as the Made In Japan album as I remember.:D

The Lanch had some great bands too: Can, Colosseum II (featuring Gary Moore and Don Airey), Osibisa, Greenslade, Man, Refugee (with Patrick Moraz), Curved Air, Renaissance.....

Disorganised1

Also saw Gary Glitter up at Warwick Uni and this is the biggie - The Rolling Stones at The General Wolfe.

BurbageSkyBlues

Genesis at the theatre, late seventies.

The Lanch on a Friday night, after a hard week at school- that was our way of letting off steam!

Users who are viewing this thread