Joining 'Greater Birmingham' would be good for the City, says Ann Lucas.. (1 Viewer)

Sick Boy

This is beyond a joke, yet again CCC pushing through decisions and wasting taxpayer's money. She certainly seems intent on leaving her mark, doesn't she? To think that some on this forum defend her!

J

Jack Griffin

Last edited by a moderator:

simonregis

I'm not a Conservative but if they were clever they would make this a 'Labour for Greater Birmingham' vs 'Conservative and others for Warwickshire' so Coventry rightly comes home to Warwickshire.
Does Ms. Lucas read the papers? Birmingham Airport wants to change its name to Shakespeare Airport because foreign countries don't know Birmingham.
Why on earth can't we have Warwickshire with Coventry being the county town. Warwick is not a county town and Warwick Uni is in Coventry.

wingy

When will members of the Labour party stop lying, no wonder their vote collapsed in the country !

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/labours-move-join-coventry-birmingham-9304996

Haha, Its not politically motivated but we need to ensure a Labour Mayor
I hasten to add I'm no fan of any of this devolvement we are alleged to all be clamouring for
More a case of Govt washing Its hands
and a huge amount of power resting with one figure head who at the end of the day could be just like AL and act in a dictatorial way

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
This should go to a referendum to the people of Coventry. I bet the majority would vote NOT to be a part of Birmingham!

J

Jack Griffin

About 1700.
13078871081921_1699_largeimage.jpg

Seamus1

I'm not a Conservative but if they were clever they would make this a 'Labour for Greater Birmingham' vs 'Conservative and others for Warwickshire' so Coventry rightly comes home to Warwickshire.
Does Ms. Lucas read the papers? Birmingham Airport wants to change its name to Shakespeare Airport because foreign countries don't know Birmingham.
Why on earth can't we have Warwickshire with Coventry being the county town. Warwick is not a county town and Warwick Uni is in Coventry.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about joining with Warwickshire. However, the one thing we should not do is impose ourselves on Warwickshire in the same way that Birmingham inevitably will do on Coventry. I have previously posted an example of how Birmingham has suppressed Coventry

Despite previous times of not having the best of relationships, recent years have shown that Coventry and Warwickshire can work well together without one exerting too much influence/pressure over the other. It's almost been that as soon as a piece of good news comes out for Jaguar in Coventry, a piece of good news broke for Aston Martin in Gaydon. We must also not forget North Warwickshire (MIRA for example) and also parts of Leicestershire such as Hinckley and Bosworth.

hill83

So, am I right in saying in this latest article Maton says it's not political, then goes on to say a fantastic quote that completely contradicts himself and confirms it is purely political?

NorthernWisdom

Incidentally, were I cynical I'd say this is all to pave the way for an alliance with Warwickshire (the two counties CCC and WCC have been positioning themselves for a while) by making the alternative alliance with Birmingham seem unpalitable.

Then when those two ally and prune jobs as a result, there'll be limited outcry to the cuts...

Covstu

and another thing that pissed me off was the remnaming of the cricket team to Birmingham Bears, how fucking dare they!!

chiefdave

and another thing that pissed me off was the remnaming of the cricket team to Birmingham Bears, how fucking dare they!!

That was ridiculous, can't believe they are still trying it this season. When they are on TV or radio they are still referred to as Warwickshire, occasionally with the commentator remembering and correcting themselves and even when they interview the players they don't call themselves Birmingham.

I just can't imagine anyone has suddenly realised they play in Brum and turned up, far more likely to keep people away.

chiefdave

So it seems that while the public consultation is still taking place a combined authority board has already been assembled. It almost appears like they are going to do what they want no matter what is said in the consultation.

J

Jack Griffin

So is it going through?? What about Warwickshire??

Looks like it is rubber stamped.. :jerkit:

I don't tend to hold the author of this article in high regard, but I think he is right on this one..
http://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/...y-board-amid-costly-public-consultation-9258/

Errmm.. and my recent twitter utterances on the subject....

Cllr Darren Cooper ‏@sandwellleader Aug 21

Inaugural meeting of the shadow #WMCA Cllr Bob Sleigh elected Chair & myself as Vice Chair @WestMids_CA #historical day for our #Region
15 retweets 7 favorites

Jack Griffin ‏@Jack_Griffin Aug 22

@sandwellleader @Cllr_KevinMaton @WestMids_CA Official, democracy is dead, the committee is in charge.
8:10 AM - 22 Aug 2015 · Details

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread