John Poynton (1 Viewer)

DaleM

Fancy naming some of his achievements?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

errm keeping us in div 1 as it was called at the time and was in charge when we won the cup . You know the last time we had any success cup . :jerkit:

cloughie

Sisu did throw money about from day 1 and didn't have a plan B in place if the money dried up with no promotion to the prem,,, They didn't want the Ricoh until it dawned on them that was the only avenue they had to recoup some of the invested money...It really doesn't matter who says it or is involved in pushing it, what cannot be denied is the truth of the statement by Poynton.

Poynton is saying nothing shocking or new, Sisu even know they have made massive errors in the past that means today as a club and fans we are slowly falling backwards on and off the pitch...

That about sums up the truth of the matter, yet no doubt some will find it
a problem that sisu have made errors or are the worst owners we have ever had

Gazolba

"typical hedge fund, throwing money around like confettd" ...

Substitute 'throwing away' for 'throwing around' and it would be more accurate.

letsallsingtogether

Yes fucking Poyton, Hill etc all of them worse then sisu?

So some still believe that sisu will be our saviors as they have been dealt a duff hand by everyone and none of it was their fault.
People really need to stop defending them by stealth by turning every thread around to blaming anyone but them.
Then turning around with the old quote when have I ever said they were not to blame bollocks.

Nick

Administrator
Yes fucking Poyton, Hill etc all of them worse then sisu?

So some still believe that sisu will be our saviors as they have been dealt a duff hand by everyone and none of it was their fault.
People really need to stop defending them by stealth by turning every thread around to blaming anyone but them.
Then turning around with the old quote when have I ever said they were not to blame bollocks.

Who actually thinks this or says this? Who defends them and where?

This making shit up stuff is getting a bit boring now.

Grendel

appointed Thorn ?

He sacked Sillett and appointed butcher. The club under Sillett had become an established top flight club and not the annual relegation fodder. Sillett may have reached a time to move aside but he still could and should have had a role at the club. The appointment of butcher was a disaster. Within 2 years silletts work was dismantled and the club was back to where it was - annual relegation fodder.

ccfcway

He sacked Sillett and appointed butcher. The club under Sillett had become an established top flight club and not the annual relegation fodder. Sillett may have reached a time to move aside but he still could and should have had a role at the club. The appointment of butcher was a disaster. Within 2 years silletts work was dismantled and the club was back to where it was - annual relegation fodder.

yet still in the top flight, it wasnt that bad, we were still in the elite.....

Thorns appointment almost certainly condemned us to League One, 2 leagues below the grim times of Terry Butcher.....

NorthernWisdom

I would actually like to know what went through his mind at that point. We'd got the 'plan' in place, groom Peake and Regis to take over, Liverpool style. It seemed a little... uncharacteristic.

Then again, a bit like Charlton under Curbishley, people got a bit blase about our status under Sillett. Sometimes, we really had never had it so good, and sometimes that was forgotten.

Not just by the chairman, either.

ccfcway

Butcher had a 33% win rate in top flight with us, Thorn had a 22% win rate in Championship / League One.

Astute

Made the worst football related decision in the last 50 years

So it was Poynton that took us to Northampton, let our only scoring striker go as we started to look like we could get safe, burned every bridge they could find that stopped us from getting the Ricoh, sold every player that he could get money for and replaced them with poor loans, administration, lose over 50% of paying supporters, relegation to the Championship, relegation to division 3, sold HR without the money for it's replacement, took money out of the club with various deals, brought SISU to our club.......

There is a small list for you Grendel. Can name more if you like. So what did Poynton do that was worse than these?

Frisky blue

Who actually thinks this or says this? Who defends them and where?

This making shit up stuff is getting a bit boring now.

You, you fucking twat, now bore off. I am fucking sick of all the shit you spout, you are a sisu apologist, you always condescendingly put down any posts attacking sisu's criminal destruction of our club, branding them all council lovers or whatever pathetic insult is in vogue at the time. You and cunts like Grendel, Andreas bollocks etc. are all wankers, who dumbly accept the joke our club has become. Fucking losers!

Grendel

So it was Poynton that took us to Northampton, let our only scoring striker go as we started to look like we could get safe, burned every bridge they could find that stopped us from getting the Ricoh, sold every player that he could get money for and replaced them with poor loans, administration, lose over 50% of paying supporters, relegation to the Championship, relegation to division 3, sold HR without the money for it's replacement, took money out of the club with various deals, brought SISU to our club.......

There is a small list for you Grendel. Can name more if you like. So what did Poynton do that was worse than these?

A lot of that list are not football decisions but poor strategic ones. The football ones are symbolic of the clubs steady decline.

Personally I will never understand the decision taken. Under Sillett the club was never threatened with relegation - finished 7th one year - and attracted players of some calibre.

He was sacked after one bad start to the season. Poynton didn't even tell him to go to his face did he? He was ill and it was done on the phone I believe. Even if Silletts managerial career was coming to an end he would still have had value in a football directors role / ambassador . His treatment by Poynton was in my view shameful.

Butcher was supposed to play as well as manage. He didn't . Quality players left and gradually inferior players were bought in. By the time butcher was gone the decline had set in and once again the club was back to where it started.

rupert_bear

References to Terry Butcher: At the time you would have thought Butcher was ideal to be a top manager, top international player, just coming to the end of his career and getting a top defender as player/manager. It didn't work. It happens all too often. Those who site sacking John Sillett must remember Sillett had gone on record saying he was calling it a day at the end of that season so Poynton brought a new manager in when he felt it suitable to the club. All got a bit messy but had Butcher's appointment come of not a lot would have been said

Grendel

References to Terry Butcher: At the time you would have thought Butcher was ideal to be a top manager, top international player, just coming to the end of his career and getting a top defender as player/manager. It didn't work. It happens all too often. Those who site sacking John Sillett must remember Sillett had gone on record saying he was calling it a day at the end of that season so Poynton brought a new manager in when he felt it suitable to the club. All got a bit messy but had Butcher's appointment come of not a lot would have been said

The timing was wrong, the manner it was done was certainly wrong and there was no reason whatsoever why he couldn't have been retained in a suitable role.

We went from attracting players like speedie and Gallagher back to players like paul furlong. The circle was complete.

rupert_bear

The timing was wrong, the manner it was done was certainly wrong and there was no reason whatsoever why he couldn't have been retained in a suitable role.

We went from attracting players like speedie and Gallagher back to players like paul furlong. The circle was complete.
But Paul Furlong who I didn't rate here went on to become a 2 million quid footballer from a non-league player and 2 mill was a massive fee back then. The problem with Butcher imo is he had no man management skills, he brought in some good players but couldn't gel them into a team but at the time his appointment looked a good one but as I said these top players don't always make managers

Nick

Administrator
You, you fucking twat, now bore off. I am fucking sick of all the shit you spout, you are a sisu apologist, you always condescendingly put down any posts attacking sisu's criminal destruction of our club, branding them all council lovers or whatever pathetic insult is in vogue at the time. You and cunts like Grendel, Andreas bollocks etc. are all wankers, who dumbly accept the joke our club has become. Fucking losers!
You silly billy! Show me where rather than hiding behind this account having silly little digs?

Why not show me where? Or if you have a personal problem then pm me.

Bellend

Last edited by a moderator:

covmark

Afternoon Valiant :)

Astute

A lot of that list are not football decisions but poor strategic ones. The football ones are symbolic of the clubs steady decline.

Personally I will never understand the decision taken. Under Sillett the club was never threatened with relegation - finished 7th one year - and attracted players of some calibre.

He was sacked after one bad start to the season. Poynton didn't even tell him to go to his face did he? He was ill and it was done on the phone I believe. Even if Silletts managerial career was coming to an end he would still have had value in a football directors role / ambassador . His treatment by Poynton was in my view shameful.

Butcher was supposed to play as well as manage. He didn't . Quality players left and gradually inferior players were bought in. By the time butcher was gone the decline had set in and once again the club was back to where it started.

So would you call the appointment of Butcher more worse than Thorne?

Grendel

So would you call the appointment of Butcher more worse than Thorne?

In context yes because in the late 80's the club was in a good place. It had a bright outlook and could have been a consistent top 10 side.

When thorn was appointed in just perpetuated an already downward spiral.

Users who are viewing this thread