John Fleck on injuries, Robins and his preferred position... (1 Viewer)

Mo Konjic

www.coventryobserver.co.uk/2012/10/...righter-future-with-the-Sky-Blues--53548.html

IT has very much been a season to forget so far for the Sky Blues and the same can be said for John Fleck following his move to the Ricoh Arena this summer.

The highly-rated midfielder was a surprise summer signing from Scottish outfit Rangers and was expected to become a key figure in the club's instant return to the Championship.

But an injury picked up on the opening day of the season proved to be a set back for both Fleck and the club.

A series of successive draws signalled the departure of Andy Thorn and four consecutive defeats triggered the arrival of Mark Robins, who has slowly been able to ease Fleck back into action in recent weeks.

"It was obviously very disappointing to get the injury so early on in the season," Fleck told the Observer.

"But I'm back now and I just need to keep working hard and get more games.

"Robins is getting us working really hard and he's got his own way of playing. All the boys have got a lot of respect for him.

"I thought Andy Thorn was great as well but they're both very similar. They both like to play football, get the ball down and work hard and that's all they can ask you to do and if you do that then results should take care of themselves."

The 21-year-old midfielder looked likely to face another spell on the sidelines after picking up a nasty head injury during the 2-2 at Swindon, which forced him to spend an evening in hospital.

Fleck was still feeling the full effects the following day after revealing how he feinted, but was happy to return back to action in Robins' starting 11 for the 2-1 defeat at home to Notts County on Saturday.

"I don't actually remember what happened. I've never been unconscious before and I remember absolutely nothing at all.

"I started getting back to normal on the Tuesday so hopefully that's me fine now. When you get out onto the pitch you just try and forget about it really.

"I'm just very disappointed we lost.

"I had two or three chances myself, but it was just one of those days, it happens, you just need to keep working hard and the chances will eventually come."

So far this season Fleck has played in a variety of roles across the Sky Blues' midfield, something he is happy to continue with.

He added: "I'll play anywhere for the manager to be honest.

"I feel comfortable in any of the positions across the midfield. Growing up I used to play in central midfield behind the strikers, but I don't really mind to be honest.

"It just depends on the type of formation the gaffer wants to play and I just need to get on with it.

"We're in a bit of a bad run at the moment and haven't managed to get many wins but we just need to keep going."

Users who are viewing this thread