Joe Hart - Yet Another Lifeline (1 Viewer)

oscillatewildly

One of the biggest sporting falls from grace in recent times gets another gig - at another Prem club!
I know he's arriving at Spurs on a free but he'll probably not only be the lowest paid keeper in the Premier League, he may well be one of the lowest paid footballers full stop.
One very lucky chap.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Getting contracts purely on name now. Absolutely error prone for last two years. Wouldn't want him here.

no_loyalty

Hart will be competing against Paulo Gazzaniga to become the number two goalkeeper.

bringbackrattles

There's a long held belief in football that you have to be a bit crazy to be a keeper. Outfield players make errors during games and can get away with them, but when a keeper slips up it can often mean a defeat for his team. I've seen goalies make save after save in a match, but then let in a soft goal. And then received stick by fans and media after the game. Roy Keane ripped into De Gea not long ago and that was his first match back after lockdown. They are the last line of defence so they expect criticism as part of the job I reckon.

no_loyalty

He could end up like the Scott Carson's and Rob Green's of this world, travelling with the first team squad but never actually getting a game.

oscillatewildly

He's cost teams more points in fuck-ups than he's gained them with saves the last few seasons.

He WAS a decent keeper. NOW he's a liability.
This is it for me. Paul Robinson, Rob Green - similar circumstances. Keeping goal for Man City with a more than decent defence in front of you (even allowing for the loose cannon of Jo Lescott) is a big insurance policy. He clearly had proved himself prior but far too many howlers (and there were many) at international level sealed his fate. Peps axing was borderline ruthless/positive but it was always in his own capability to prove himself again.
To be fair, the move to Burnley could have gone in his favour - hardly the Prems most watertight defence so plenty of opportunity to show your worth and people do know the difference between a keeper exposed far too often and having no chance to one that is capable as a last line.
It goes without saying, confidence plays a huge part in any sprotsman/woman's armour and that can be an enormous battle to regain if there becomes a crisis with that confidence.
To sum up - He clearly had 'it' but once 'it' was lost he struggled to find it again.

Users who are viewing this thread