Joe Elliott..Please explain (1 Viewer)

Can anyone explain what Joe Elliott's role is...or what he is/has been doing for our club.

This isn't a 'have a go at Joe' thread, I really want to know what this guy does???

As far as I know (and I'm happy to be enlightened), Joe was/has been/is;

• Part of the board since the early/mid-1990s and therefore has been present during all of the financial controversies we refer to at board level
  • Urged fans to relinquish shares to SISU in December 2007...or the club would go bust (a bit of a guilt trip was placed on folk, I recall)
  • Was totally on-side with SISU until last April...he even stated in March 2011 'I promise the fans that we are in safe hands with SISU'.
  • Only fell out with SISU after they found out that he was in cahoots with Hoffman over a bid to oust them
  • Has he ever put any of his own money into the club (except when Elliotts car accessories sponsored a few hoardings etc at Highfield Road)
  • As a 'prominent' local businessman, has he promoted himselffirst and foremost over the last 20 years, or the club profile?
I hear him referred to as Mr Coventry...I just wonder if he desrves such a title. or to getaway so lightly without being asked over his role/actions (lack of) in our demise over the last 2 decades....does he deserve to be associated with a new takeover/the future of the club???

Just like some facts on 'Mr Coventry'...that's all.

As far as I'm aware Joe has been suspended from his role as life president and attends matches as a guest of Gary Hoffman. At present he has no official role at the club.

I know that, this was due to his double-agent work....taking the role/status of such a title from SISU and singing from their hymn sheet until March/April, whilst secretly supplying Hoffman with info...hence the suspension.

what I was asking was what has he done for the club in the last 20 years to deserve any praise...in fact, is he one of the root causes for our current predicament...particularly if you believe that the current financial issues are a culmination of years of mis-management????

I know that, this was due to his double-agent work....taking the role/status of such a title from SISU and singing from their hymn sheet until March/April, whilst secretly supplying Hoffman with info...hence the suspension.

what I was asking was what has he done for the club in the last 20 years to deserve any praise...in fact, is he one of the root causes for our current predicament...particularly if you believe that the current financial issues are a culmination of years of mis-management????

Why would he need to secretly supply another board member with information? Hoffman would have known as much as Suntan Joe.

Why would he need to secretly supply another board member with information? Hoffman would have known as much as Suntan Joe.

He wouldn't need to supply another Board Member with secret info, but seeing as Hoff wasn't a board member at the time might explain something.....

Not after Christmas 2010, JT....Hoffman was not on th board, and subsequent bids were made/in throes of being made.

Maybe that is one thing we should give Orange Ken credit for.

skyblueflubsky

He was definately in the 1883 lounge for a while before the game on Saturday. He came and sat with a table full of middle aged ladies for about ten minutes.

SkyBlueScottie

Its previously been said that Joe has invested a sum of about 1 million pounds during his involvement in the club, that includes sponsorship of the 1st team shirt and then the youth team etc. All sort of anecdotal evidence, however I do agree with your sentiments, and while he may be a nice bloke etc I am not sure he deserves the tag of Mr Sky Blue that some seem happy to place on him. However perhaps he has in the past worked hard behind the scenes in other ways to benfit the club.

lordsummerisle

Its previously been said that Joe has invested a sum of about 1 million pounds during his involvement in the club, that includes sponsorship of the 1st team shirt and then the youth team etc. All sort of anecdotal evidence, however I do agree with your sentiments, and while he may be a nice bloke etc I am not sure he deserves the tag of Mr Sky Blue that some seem happy to place on him. However perhaps he has in the past worked hard behind the scenes in other ways to benfit the club.

Who knew spark plugs could be so profitable?

I'd like it confirmed as to what he is investing as part of any takeover, or just tagging along for the freebies....

And more importantly, what he knows/knew about the financial scandals that have saddled us with such a legacy as we are experiencing now.

If what we hear is correct about how the club has been/is run, then it borders on criminal....and Joe Elliott has been there all along...let's hear the truth and not mor shameful 'hiding behind confidentiality clauses' from those appointed to run our beloved club.

ICHAN

The Joe Elliot that went round peoples houses asking for their shares and promising us a better future under sisu.
People were called names for not wanting to give up their shares and that they did not care about CCFC maybe some of these people knew not to trust what was going on and we wonder why the club has been taken from us.

100% spot on Ichan....that's what I want explained...which side is this guy on???

He must be Italian...as they like switching sides to the one that seems likely to win.

He has a respect amongst the CCFC fans, but where has this originated from - sponsoring a few advertising hoardings in the 1980s - and should he be asked to answer questions of what happened previously to land us in this mess, and what his role was in this.

Clearly, the 'give up your shares, or you will land the club in administration' was a sentiment that Orange Joe was spouting in Dec 2007.....there's some nice emotional blackmail for you!!!

Colonel Mustard

and should he be asked to answer questions of what happened previously to land us in this mess, and what his role was in this.

I think you're overestimating Joe's influence. He was the guy that CWR would call at 6.30p on a Friday night to get matchday information. He never seemed to be much of a player; just a PR man.

Clearly, the 'give up your shares, or you will land the club in administration' was a sentiment that Orange Joe was spouting in Dec 2007.....there's some nice emotional blackmail for you!!!

True though, wasn't it?

lordsummerisle

He was merely taken in by evil people, like Ranson was.

We have to have a life-long Coventry Fan involved in the running of the club, lifelong Chelsea fan Abramovic, lifelong Man City fan Sheik Mansour and lifelong Man United fans the Glazers prove that point.

I think you're overestimating Joe's influence. He was the guy that CWR would call at 6.30p on a Friday night to get matchday information. He never seemed to be much of a player; just a PR man.

Strange...I thought he was partof/close to the board of directors in the 90s...Bryan Richardson and all that....his influence increasing as we were relegated...and that he held the reigns just prior to SISU's takeover...as well as playing a prominent role since including his now infamous quote only 9 months ago;

"I reassure the fans, that under SISU this club is in safe hands"

(probably said as he took his padded free seat in the main stand, swigged from his free pint of beer, and munced on his ninth free prawn sandwich)

I think he's more than a caller to CWR, mate!!!!!

Colonel Mustard

The very fact that he was the one to make that quote lines up with what I was saying - he's traditionally been the PR man. The voice of the club. The bridge between the fans and the club.

I have no clue what his character or intentions are...I doubt anyone does. But I would be surprised if he was anything more than a puppet chairman. Back in the Richardson days he was an associate director - the car mechanic in the corner. I'm not sure how heavy his influence could have been up against a big beast such as Geoffrey Robinson.

ICHAN

Now he's jumped ship/pushed, to the next lot (if true) to get his position safe again, for more of the same.

The Future is Safe Under ******* or should that be MY Future.

And people had a go at Snoz.:confused:

Last edited:
Absolutely bang on 100% correct, Ichan.

This is another chap, it seems, like AT who is immune to any criticism or questioning.

When things go right....salute him...when they go wrong or we need to question someone, he is only the gimp in the corner of the room.

You can't have it all ways, Joe Elliott has/is either part of the situation or he isn't....

We do/did CWR go to him to comment??? Because he was part of the fooking set up!!!

This all reminds me of the early days of the SISU takeover when some fans would not see/believe what was in front of them.....accept little/no negatives, not wanting to hear the bad news...that's what has got us in the mess, burying our heads in the sand.

We need to put the heat on AT for on-field matters...and the likes of Elliott to explain what the fook has been going on financially to land us in £40m-ish worth of debt!!!!!

Colonel Mustard

This is another chap, it seems, like AT who is immune to any criticism or questioning.

The difference being that AT's output is clear for all to see: results, tactics, press conferences, signings, performances - AT can be rigorously assessed.

Joe Elliott? Not so easy. If you want to call him a poor communicator and a flip-flopper, that's fair enough. But if you want to put him on the hook for CCFC's financial mismanagement over the past 15 years then you're going to need more to back it up.

I agree with that, CM...and I don't want him on the hook, but I would like his role in all of the past misdemanours scrutinised a little more closely...rather than just saddling him with the Mr Coventy tag and patting him on the back.

This is needed as if he is linked to the future, we need to know what happened in the past to land us in such shite...and whether, consequently, Joe Elliott should be part of the future of running OUR club...particularly if he is putting in fook all financial resources.

EleanorRigby

Cut Elliott in half and his inners will be Sky Blue and i don't think for one minute he would do anything that wouldn't be for the betterment of Coventry City FC. Having said that the time is fast approaching when he and/or Gary Hoffman need to become more transparrent. His earlier times as an associate director had little influence on the policies of the club, he basically ran the tea and biscuit brigade and as to his time when Bryan Richardson was chairman that bloke seemed to fool everyone if you believe what they say McGinnity, Robinson etc, so little Joe wouldn't be difficult

singers_pore

Yes, he put in 1m+ but that was 10-20 odd years ago when he still had the business. Now he's retired he has really outlived his usefulness. Plus he never did anything to protect the club against BR and GR when they sold HR. I think the new owners should bin him. He's just an old has-been. We need a new successful young guy, kind of like Robbins in the early 1960s.

But he's 6 foot under, ER.

The issue is the role of Mr Coventry....I have read nothing since my initial thread to justify his presence at the forefront of any takeover and the future running of OUR club.

In fact, if anything, more questions have been raised over what he has/has not said/done and his role....

EleanorRigby

But what do you expect him to do ? Officially he has been side-lined. I suppose he could come out in the press and say one or two things but would that acheive anything ? Doubt it.

torchomatic

I've never trusted him because of his close association to Bryan Richardson. I'm not Robinson's greatest fan either, but at least he helped get rid of BR and Graham Hover, who was also a little dodgy, I think.

As for the "Mr Coventry" tag. I don't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread