Jodi (1 Viewer)

DannyThomas_1981

It’s reality we are not a benevolent company but one that needs to put its limited revenue into people who are able to play. Did we give Busst another contract? Grow up

Different situation isn't it?

David Busst was forced to retire on medical advice after one of the most serious injuries seen on a football pitch. The club did not cancel Busst's contract and in fact further supported him with a big testimonial game.

In this case, Jodi Jones has a real chance of making it back and as a Club we should do the right thing and fully support him back to full fitness.

You can call a taxi for Jodi if you want (seems to be your answer for most things); most of the rest of us fully support our number 7.

Grendel

David Busst was forced to retire on medical advice after one of the most serious injuries seen on a football pitch. The club did not cancel Busst's contract and in fact further supported him with a big testimonial game.

In this case, Jodi Jones has a real chance of making it back and as a Club we should do the right thing and fully support him back to full fitness.

You can call a taxi for Jodi if you want (seems to be your answer for most things); most of the rest of us fully support our number 7.

We are supporting him as we are obliged to do under his existing contract. It’s commercially not viable to go belong there - if you want to discuss fine but if you want to behave like a petulant child than I won’t bother

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There's a big difference between honouring his existing contract (which I don't think anyone here is saying we won't or shouldn't do) and giving him a new one, esp right now when we have no idea what the prognosis will be. Wait until nearer the end to see how it develops.

We gave him one last year when he seemed to be on the mend. We may do the same again later if it also seemed like he had a good chance of recovery, or talk about other roles if he doesn't. To do it now would be foolhardy.

Corrado

We are supporting him as we are obliged to do under his existing contract. It’s commercially not viable to go belong there - if you want to discuss fine but if you want to behave like a petulant child than I won’t bother

You are not in a position to decide it is not commercially viable to extend past the end of the season - who is to say he wont return top of his game - save us from relegation, push us into the play offs, anything could happen. You have to weigh up what his wage is and what he COULD be worth to us next season. He cant be on much. Its a gamble but I would take it

Evo1883

I don't get the emotional argument with this... The lad has played around what... 40 games for us in the last 3 seasons and will be 4 seasons more than likely after this year .. Weve paid him, we've treated him under his contractual agreement. City fans get far too attached, we aren't a charity

BornSlippySkyBlue

I don't get the emotional argument with this... The lad has played around what... 40 games for us in the last 3 seasons and will be 4 seasons more than likely after this year .. Weve paid him, we've treated him under his contractual agreement. City fans get far too attached, we aren't a charity
But from a purely selfish / commercial perspective a fit Jodi Jones has the potential to be worth more than a one year contract on the wages he’s likely to be on. What we talking £1k per week? I have no idea tbf, but if that’s close it’s ‘only’ 50k for another year and we could end up with a player worth way more, if not in resale value in what he brings to the team.

That and the fact it is a ‘new’ injury, if the surgeon thinks he’ll be good I think we should offer him another year. I’m sure the club won’t chuck money at him for the sake of it.

Evo1883

But from a purely selfish / commercial perspective a fit Jodi Jones has the potential to be worth more than a one year contract on the wages he’s likely to be on. What we talking £1k per week? I have no idea tbf, but if that’s close it’s ‘only’ 50k for another year and we could end up with a player worth way more, if not in resale value in what he brings to the team.

That and the fact it is a ‘new’ injury, if the surgeon thinks he’ll be good I think we should offer him another year. I’m sure the club won’t chuck money at him for the sake of it.

Honestly we don't have any clue as to jodis potential as we've not seen him really above league 2 level

shmmeee

Exactly. Would we pick up a promising 23yr old for £50k as a gamble? Of course we would. I bet we paid more than that for Boswe or whatever his name was.

BornSlippySkyBlue

Honestly we don't have any clue as to jodis potential as we've not seen him really above league 2 level
Agree to a point, I mean we do know he has some potential because we’ve seen him play. We just don’t know how good he could be without actually playing him at a higher level and the only way that happens now is if he gets some kind of new deal. If he was on 20k I’d agree it probably isn’t worth it, but he’s not going to be on silly money with his background.

Evo1883

Agree to a point, I mean we do know he has some potential because we’ve seen him play. We just don’t know how good he could be without actually playing him at a higher level and the only way that happens now is if he gets some kind of new deal. If he was on 20k I’d agree it probably isn’t worth it, but he’s not going to be on silly money with his background.

This goes almost back to David Collins argument in a way... The problem jodi has is everytime he comes back he's injured straight away almost.. Which suggests his football future at a high demanding level is hanging in the balance anyway... Pay as you play is a possibility as mentioned... A year's wages though at this level for me will always be a risk... And it's wages we could use elsewhere arguably

BornSlippySkyBlue

This goes almost back to David Collins argument in a way... The problem jodi has is everytime he comes back he's injured straight away almost.. Which suggests his football future at a high demanding level is hanging in the balance anyway... Pay as you play is a possibility as mentioned... A year's wages though at this level for me will always be a risk... And it's wages we could use elsewhere arguably
Yeah, it’s a conundrum for sure. In one way though you could say he’s ‘only’ had 3 injuries, they’ve just been bad ones. Might go the rest of his career without another serious one, we just don’t know. I guess they will be relying on medical opinions (and Jodi’s own wishes) to a large extent.

Evo1883

Yeah, it’s a conundrum for sure. In one way though you could say he’s ‘only’ had 3 injuries, they’ve just been bad ones. Might go the rest of his career without another serious one, we just don’t know. I guess they will be relying on medical opinions (and Jodi’s own wishes) to a large extent.

Robins will know if the risk is worth it... If he says it is... Then that's what I'm happy to do

Samo

This is true, but... when players are emotionally detached and see the club as just their current employer we get all bent out of shape about it. We expect all the badge kissing bollocks!

Evo1883

Call me old fashioned but I actually think employers have a social responsibility to staff injured during their work.

We absolutely do, and I don't think anybody is denying that... If we get jodi back to fitness and pay his wage as we are contracted to do... Then we've done our job

Grendel

Call me old fashioned but I actually think employers have a social responsibility to staff injured during their work.

Of course we do while under contract who hasn’t said that?

chiefdave

Didn't he get a new contact while recovering from one of his pervious ACL injuries? Can't imagine he's on mega bucks.

Presumably by the end of this season they'll have a good idea if he's going to be able to play or not so trust the judgement of the medical and management team.

Hopefully it won't come to this but if it is the worst outcome and a career ender don't think anyone would object if the club gave him an office job or something working in the community.

SkyBlueSam01

@better days @SkyBlueSam01 is there any way after the op and rehabilitation they can look at it and say yes it should be ok now or sorry, time to call it a day or is it a case of getting back out on the pitch and seeing what happens?

As @better days says the surgeon will have a pretty accurate idea of prognosis once he sees the extent of the damage - I personally doubt its a bad one with other injuries alongside if what's reported about him hardly noticing is true. Post-op its pretty impossible to tell how successful the surgery will be unless something went really wrong unfortunately

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

To be fair then Bosman happened. Put it this way, if we get relegated and Jones is our only good player, and Leeds are back in for him. do you honestly think he’d stay? We shown plenty of loyalty this season alone giving him a new contract.

It’s just unfortunate this has happened for a 3rd time

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

When I replied to Grendel it was on the basis that the news was fresh but he couldn’t wait. For the record even when he was playing JJ in my opinion was more of a headless chicken, however the injury has just happened and I feel sorry for him so no need to stick the knife in. He will see out his contract and presumably an insurance payout. Just thought the timing was wrong.

fernandopartridge

In all fairness he’s had the chance after 2 ACL’s mate you can’t say that,his body doesn’t seem up to pro football unfortunately he done well to get another year now this has happened...I don’t see him playing for us ever again sadly.
There is no suggestion his body isn't up to football, it is just a coincidence. You'd probably argue it is two knee injuries. One was just a reoccurrence of an injury

cc84cov

As @better days says the surgeon will have a pretty accurate idea of prognosis once he sees the extent of the damage - I personally doubt its a bad one with other injuries alongside if what's reported about him hardly noticing is true. Post-op its pretty impossible to tell how successful the surgery will be unless something went really wrong unfortunately
Is that what’s been said he hardly noticed anything wrong

higgs

Once Jodi has a successful operation and rehab you would hope he would sit down with the club and thrash out another 1 yr contract suitable to both parties the bloke deserves some good fortune and the club deserves some repayment on the pitch for being loyal to Jodie

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

To be fair then Bosman happened. Put it this way, if we get relegated and Jones is our only good player, and Leeds are back in for him. do you honestly think he’d stay? We shown plenty of loyalty this season alone giving him a new contract.

It’s just unfortunate this has happened for a 3rd time

I also think players should reward faith put in them. See my rants against Jordan Willis running down his contract. I don’t think two wrongs make a right 🤷🏻‍♂️

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

That's not old fashioned. Old fashioned is "you're of no use to me now so sling your hook".

And we're not sidestepping our responsibility to him. We're honouring his contract, providing the medical care etc. Even Allassani who is no longer under contract is still receiving rehabilitation with us and he didn't even get injured with us.

mark82

I don't think anyone is suggesting giving him a new contract now, by the way. It'll be a decision for next summer when we know how the recovery is going.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I also think players should reward faith put in them. See my rants against Jordan Willis running down his contract. I don’t think two wrongs make a right 🤷🏻‍♂️
Problem is They don’t, football is a selfish business and to be fair both player and club has to look out for themselves

If we get salary capped at any point we’ve got to decide things like is 2.5k a week better spent on Jones or adding it to O’Hare’s wages to keep him here

Limey

Are there degrees of ACL injury or is it a case of once ruptured and operated on then the recovery time is the same whatever...?

AJB1983

Busst’s biggest issue was the infections and the muscle damage following the operations that ended his professional career.The break itself he could have come back from. He’s said this himself.

so whilst it was a bad injury that did ultimately end his career, it wasn’t career ending in itself - the complications afterwards were what did for him.

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

Busst’s biggest issue was the infections and the muscle damage following the operations that ended his professional career.The break itself he could have come back from. He’s said this himself.

so whilst it was a bad injury that did ultimately end his career, it wasn’t career ending in itself - the complications afterwards were what did for him.
That’s the problem with a compound fracture

Grendel

Busst's injury was career ending. It's a lazy comparison.

No as people on here seem to believe we owe him something. We don’t. Are you seriously saying if he wasn’t injured again and had a good season he wouldn’t reject a new contract and hawk himself to the highest bidder. Of course he would. It’s the way it is. We’ve gone overboard in helping him and it’s unfortunate but that’s the way it is

Ring Of Steel

why does what “we” know have any relevance? Mark Robins obviously thinks he can cut it in the Championship or he wouldn’t have given him a contract to play in the Championship, why do we keep assuming we somehow know more?

All this is pointless yet anyway until the club gets the prognosis, nothing can be decided until then.

Users who are viewing this thread