Job Available - Club Journalist at Coventry City FC (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
So they want a degree, somebody to work all hours they say to suit, drive about, film stuff, edit the film, have a driving license all for £14k. Shocking really.

lewys33

I was on more than that in an apprenticeship. 28k without my degree as well. Is journalism generally not paid well?!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Up to £14,000? After gaining a degree and having the experience they require, I wouldn't apply for that position for less than £30,000!

mds

If i had the experience for it, hell yeah.
Every game home and away free, working for the club i love, inside info on most things Sky Blue, perks on top of perks im sure.
If its something you`re into and a City fan the money isnt as important as doing something you enjoy in an environmnet you enjoy for the club you love.

Who goes to work day after day earning decent money and does nothing but whinge about it, rather do something i enjoy for lesser money than slog away for good money and hate it!
Peace of mind and job satisfaction over money all day everyday!

Nick

Administrator
Every game home and away free, working for the club i love, inside info on most things Sky Blue, perks on top of perks im sure.
If its something you`re into and a City fan the money isnt as important as doing something you enjoy in an environmnet you enjoy for the club you love.

Who goes to work day after day earning decent money and does nothing but whinge about it, rather do something i enjoy for lesser money than slog away for good money and hate it!

True, and I guess if you have no bills to pay then why not.

ccfc92

That sounds good as in following the club etc. But you'd never own a house or anything with that kind of money.

Would there be a promotion clause like in football manager? :whistle:

mds

That sounds good as in following the club etc. But you'd never own a house or anything with that kind of money.

Would there be a promotion clause like in football manager? :whistle:
I got the impression its aimed at a younger just starting out in life type of person, mortgage would probably be the last thing on their mind

Surely you'd be making more notes etc, than enjoying the game though?
Fuck knows how the daily papers sport reporters manage :)

ccfc92

I got the impression its aimed at a younger just starting out in life type of person, mortgage would probably be the last thing on their mind

It would be an interesting job definitely, but you'd have to have parental support, or money already to do it :)

Noggin

if you have a degree and at least eighteen months experience, you should be earning more than that, it's not a starting job, they want experience.

RegTheDonk

Might suit a graduate get their foot on the ladder.

Just like our players. Pay them shit until they fuck off for a better deal :)

shmmeee

A City fan into that stuff that supports the team home and away would save how much a season?

It's a poverty wage. Which in an organisation that pays some of our current and ex players what it does is a bit poor form IMO.

That said, I can't see why the job needs a degree. Would be a good student job (not that that should even be a thing).

Astute

I fully agree with you here. I love my job. I haven't had a day on the sick for about 7 years. And that was because a car pulled out in front of me when I was on a motorbike. Needed 5 1/2 months off. I took a big pay cut to take up the position I now have. We live in what I consider to be the best part of the country.....maybe other than Cornwall. Today I bumped into an old boss. He wants me to work for him again. Offered me a massive pay rise. Said no without even considering it. And it would have meant working Monday to Friday. But would have meant working in London and taking on responsibility again. Hate London. Job satisfaction and family life comes first.

letsallsingtogether

Why do they do degrees in bullshit?

Of course they do Tim and Joy have doctorates in it. :)
It's a poverty wage. Which in an organisation that pays some of our current and ex players what it does is a bit poor form IMO.

That said, I can't see why the job needs a degree. Would be a good student job (not that that should even be a thing).

bringbackrattles

I've been writing for the Telegraph as a fan for several seasons and haven't received a penny not even a free match.
It would be great to get paid etc, but I went in to it knowing the score !

mds

Home and away going to every league and cup game what would the average supporter spend? 4,5,6k?
Add to that season tickets, club clothing, a little status who do you work for, wage may be shit to older folks who have llived seen and earnt over the years, but to someone getting into it it is going to be closer to 20k with the perks and savings.
Lets just hope its a City fan that gets the job.

James Smith

So they want a degree, somebody to work all hours they say to suit, drive about, film stuff, edit the film, have a driving license all for £14k. Shocking really.

I earn more than that and have regular hours including weeekends but as a result rarely see us play. Couldn't afford the commute though.

duffer

£6.73/hour. Not far above minimum wage. If you're fresh out of Uni and just starting out in journalism, I guess that's what they can get away with paying. I can't believe anyone with 18 months experience would work for that, but then it's not my field of expertise.

I'll stick to the bins and shelve my ambitions of being a hack I guess... ;)

Edit: You do get two season tickets as part of the package - if you're strong you could probably negotiate that down to just the one though. :)

Sky Blue Harry H

Tim Fisher £350k a year.

Journalist writing on behalf of City 14k.

Got to make savings somewhere - that's why it's up to £14k - Tim'll knock them down to £12k and pocket 50% of the saving as a Christmas bonus from Joy.

Seriously,you can see some wet behind the ears novice being drip fed what to write by a guy earning over 25 times their salary !!!!!!

percy

14k a year !!!! well at least the successful applicant will be better paid than the players i suppose !!!

Rob S

I'd imagine old gits with years of IT experience or management blah, blah and a fair few people earning some decent coin in the construction industry, might balk at this but in the creative / media fields, this is probably about reasonable at the entry-level. Looking behind the wage to the perks and the massive opportunity to gain some great experience and a good network and it starts to look a lot better.

Add to that, it being a lot of young Cov fans's dream job and the rules of supply and demand seem to look a lot more obvious.

At this point you'd be looking at the next two career moves after this so this would be a stepping stone to more lucrative things. (And you could be taking a punt on the fact that you might be working for a Championship club...albeit a long one.

Money-wise, a few twenty somethings sharing a house around isn't that expensive, especially with no kids sucking wages into their gullets. Add to that the chance to work with the club all over the country for free with access unavailable to 99.99% of other fans and it starts to look like an ideal job.

And as Astute, er, astutely points out...money ain't everything. I know far too many people who suffer a 4-hour daily commute/fight to do well paid jobs – which of course are 10-hour days on top – that suck the life out of them but they are trapped between wanting to have a decent quality of life by the sea but still need to fund the mortgage/kids/pension/expected lifestyle so are trapped.

ccfcway

its prob only a 12 months contract until next summer, where you will be deemed not good enough and end up in a journo bomb squad, where we have to pay off the remaining part of your contract, so you can go and write for Fleetwood FC

Noggin

I'd imagine old gits with years of IT experience or management blah, blah and a fair few people earning some decent coin in the construction industry, might balk at this but in the creative / media fields, this is probably about reasonable at the entry-level. Looking behind the wage to the perks and the massive opportunity to gain some great experience and a good network and it starts to look a lot better.

Add to that, it being a lot of young Cov fans's dream job and the rules of supply and demand seem to look a lot more obvious.

At this point you'd be looking at the next two career moves after this so this would be a stepping stone to more lucrative things. (And you could be taking a punt on the fact that you might be working for a Championship club...albeit a long one.

Money-wise, a few twenty somethings sharing a house around isn't that expensive, especially with no kids sucking wages into their gullets. Add to that the chance to work with the club all over the country for free with access unavailable to 99.99% of other fans and it starts to look like an ideal job.

And as Astute, er, astutely points out...money ain't everything. I know far too many people who suffer a 4-hour daily commute/fight to do well paid jobs – which of course are 10-hour days on top – that suck the life out of them but they are trapped between wanting to have a decent quality of life by the sea but still need to fund the mortgage/kids/pension/expected lifestyle so are trapped.

it's not an entry level job, they have 18 months experience as essential, it's not any young persons dream job. It's not like we are talking about playing for the team.

Considering it sounds like you'll be expected to work more than 40 hours a week that puts it at mcdonald's type hourly rates. You do get a couple of free season tickets but of course you'll be working during the game.

You are of course right to many people that they would be happier in a lower paid job than a high paid job with a massive commute, but thats not a good argument for taking what is in essence just above minimum wage for a job that requires experience and a degree, it's exploitative. Thats a good argument to use when you are deciding between a 30k job in Coventry and a 38k job in Birmingham and a 55k job in London. It's not a good argument for working for a pittance in a skilled position where you've run up debts of 30k at university for.

Users who are viewing this thread