Jimmy Hill.. (1 Viewer)

J

Jack Griffin

http://www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/pfa_to_help_fund_jimmy_hill_care_834533/index.shtml

The Professional Footballers Association are to contribute towards the care home cost for former Coventry City manager and Chairman Jimmy Hill.

The former Match of The Day presenter and Football League Chairman is battling Alzheimer’s and is a home on the South Coast.

Hill, who helped the PFA get the maximum wage abolished, is to now get some of the costs of his weekly care bill paid by the PFA, Covsupport News Service has been informed.

Every professional footballer from the 60s on, certainly those in the higher leagues, owes JH a huge debt of gratitude. Good to see the PFA giving something back to his family. My own father is also suffering from advanced Alzheimers and now has to be looked after in a care home, the expense of which is astounding. We are fortunate that the finances are covered, very few people are so lucky.

torchomatic

Yeah, my Grandad had it back in the 70s. Awful.

Its a heart breaking disease. When a family member you have loved all your life doesn't know who you are.

dadgad

Is there any evidence that it could be linked to repeated blows to the head, as in heading a ball for instance?

turlykerd

Agreed, its very difficult to deal with.. My wife s granddad is suffering right now .
We all have to hold back ... Its heartbreaking .

My condolences to jimmy and his family. I wish them all the best.
JH is a living legend
:(

Hugh Jarse

Sadly, my Mum's got it. Early stages yet, it breaks my heart when she looks at me and doesn't know who I am yet she always remember who my partner is!

Bugger:(

duffer

I think that's American Football rather than proper football, but I know there's been discussion about this elsewhere. I found this, fwiw...

http://www.headball.com/hazards.html

Certainly during Jimmy's playing era, balls would've been much heavier. If I took a lesson from the above, I think it's that kids should play with smaller, lighter footballs (as they tend to, at school, I think).

Hobo

I vaguely remember Jeff astels family seeking some kind of compensation because of this ?

My mum never headed a ball in her life. But got it a lot earlier in life than Jimmy Hill. Terrible illness.

dadgad

My mum never headed a ball in her life. But got it a lot earlier in life than Jimmy Hill. Terrible illness.

Not saying that it isn't due to other factors or that a few ex footballers getting it is conclusive, however, the rules about this for young kids (in boxing too) has to be wise until we know more.

Hobo

Not saying that it isn't due to other factors or that a few ex footballers getting it is conclusive, however, the rules about this for young kids (in boxing too) has to be wise until we know more.

I'm not dismissing those factors couldn't contribute to to the illness. What ever the cause it's a devastating illness.

Monkeyface

Could the SBT set up a fund to help pay for his care? The Hill era was long before my time, but I'd certainly be willing to contribute something. Pretty sure we could raise at least a couple of thousand between us

Users who are viewing this thread