Jimmy Hill Tribute - BBC1 - Tonight - 10:45pm (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Just a reminder if anybody wanted to watch / record it!

A tribute to Jimmy Hill, who passed away in December 2015 having made a remarkable impact on football and football culture. His career was unique, taking in virtually every role in the sport, from the pitch tothe dugout, the boardroom to the television studio.

After retiring from playing, Hill became manager of Coventry City where he pioneered new ways of developing the club's image and its relationship with fans. He was similarly forward-thinking when he moved into influential roles in broadcasting and went on to become an iconic and long-running presenter of Match of the Day.

But perhaps Hill's greatest legacy was his successful campaign to abolish the maximum wage, revolutionising the careers and prospects of footballers in the early 1960s and paving the way for the multimillionaire global stars of today.

The programme features contributions from former footballers, managers, broadcasters and Hill's family.

covmark

Especially Bryony at the end talking about taking some of his ashes back to Coventry. Nice to hear her talking about how he always looked for Coventry's scores first, even before Brentford and Fulham. Great man.

Yep, that's the bit that got me.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ccfc92

Any idea when it's on iplayer or repeated? Saw the last 5 mins of it, and definitely looks worth the watch.

Cheers in advance :)

skybluetony176

Lovely tribute to a great man. Nice to see so much of the programme devoted to his time at Coventry.

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that was driven by the Hill family. They clearly have alot of good memories of Coventry with Jamie Hill doing a bit of a tour of Coventry, 91 Cannon Hill Rd wasn't it that was the old family home he was outside of, later handed to the Yorath family. Also spoke very warmly about HR at the site.

derbyskyblue

I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that was driven by the Hill family. They clearly have alot of good memories of Coventry with Jamie Hill doing a bit of a tour of Coventry, 91 Cannon Hill Rd wasn't it that was the old family home he was outside of, later handed to the Yorath family. Also spoke very warmly about HR at the site.
anyone got a link on here please, balls to i player, should be on sbt....

SkyblueBazza

Passion for football in general came through very strongly. Coventry became an out for that passion...& his determination to succeed, ability, loyalty & willingness to be different made him/CCFC the success it was.

Nowadays it is all about being politically correct (publicly at least), 'Corporate' & short-term monetary gain. I doubt we will see the likes of Shankley, Hill, Cloughie, Fergie often in future times. There are pale shadows...like the self-proclaimed 'chosen one' & Klopp tries hard...just he none seem to have quite the same commanding influence over a club.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

SkyBlueRuffian

A fitting tribute and like people have said a lot of focus on his time at Coventry. A great man!!
I couldn't help but think what would happen to his statue and the rememberance garden if we moved to Butts Park?

Terry Gibson's perm

A fitting tribute and like people have said a lot of focus on his time at Coventry. A great man!!
I couldn't help but think what would happen to his statue and the rememberance garden if we moved to Butts Park?

Just pick them up and move them with us

bringbackrattles

A fitting tribute to the great man.As kids we used to go to Shilton to watch the City train, and it showed them training there on the prog so it brought it all back. Great memories and great times.

fernandopartridge

It was driven by the BBC. The bits with Jamie Hill were shot on a legends day earlier this season, think it might have been the Burton home game.

olderskyblue

it was...emotional..

georgehudson

what a truly wonderful program, & yes i sincerely hope our owners watched the program, it should also have had an effect on those who purport to follow the glory clubs, JH was a true visionary

RegTheDonk

Loved it, a very fitting tribute. Didn't tell us much we didn't already know, but fans of other teams can see just how much of a difference he made in changing the game. Was grateful it was a plain, straightforward style, telling us about the man and how he was thought about by so many people - nice to see people like Hanson, Venables and McCoist had respect and love for the bloke off camera.

skybluetony176

On again in ten minutes (1pm) on BBC 1. Well worth a watch if you haven't already seen it and worth watching again if you've already seen it.

Sky Blue Dal

Watched it today and felt emotional at the same time very angry on how all his hard work for our club has been undone and decimated by Richardson and now by our present owners.

Great man!! Never forgotten.

tisza

says everything about the man that still 5 months after his death there are still media tributes. genuinely don't remember anyone else in football receiving so much media coverage in terms of tributes/articles etc. as he received back in December

Users who are viewing this thread