Jimmy hill statue (1 Viewer)

theferret

That's exactly my concern.

I think it was RFC IIRC (Who else :facepalm:) saying the conference and hotel/wedding facilities will match the Ricoh etc.

But personally I don't see how. Let's take your average London business man/woman who has a meeting in Coventry (I know, where with me) one day, then Manchester the next. Do I say at a football stadium with no links to motorway etc, or do I stay at the Ricoh, get on the M6 the next day easily.

I just can't see this 365 day revenue coming in other than the 23 match days :(

Not necessarily, there are lots of revenue opportunities that might present themselves even without the sort of bells and whistles the Ricoh has. There would be conference facilities, banqueting suites, function rooms for weddings, parties and that sort of thing. Presumably there would be a hotel, bars, restaurants, chargeable on-site parking - perhaps there might even be office space and sort some of housing development that forms part of the plans, and then of course there are additional matchday revenues we don't have access to at the moment. Perhaps. Thing is we just don't know, and I worry that we'll all be sat here in next year asking the same questions.

The Lurker

Is it not possible to be offended by both or are we back to fucking percentages again. What the fuck moving to Northampton has to do with some flag happy cretin I'll never know.

Because it is all inter linked. Us moving to sixfields for a year triggered what happened today. So if easily offended by the flag them I assume Stupot was outraged and disgusted when we were playing at sixfields?

chiefdave

The thing is what we are saying about the ability of a new stadium to attract business compared to the Ricoh is the same as they would have been saying at the NEC when it was announced a conference centre was being built next to a motorway in Cov. Offer the right product at the right price and you will make money. it's about finding a gap in the market and addressing it rather than blindly building random facilities and then hoping they are used.

The Gentleman

A sad day in the history of Coventry. Why anyone would go and cheer on wasps is beyond me...

HAHAHAHAHAHA, fucking hell fire. A sad day in Coventry's history is the cathedral being bombed, Ryton plant closing down, Coventry leaving Highfield Road and Relegation to League 1. But no!! some cheeky fucker puts a flag in the hand of a statue and there is fucking outcry. Two words boys 'Drama Queens'. Still, it's nice to see the real burning issues are getting your bloods boiling.

Nonleagueherewecome

I didn't hate Wasps, but they can just fuck right off with that. Totally disrespectful :mad:

Ashdown

Why do people waste their feckin breath on talk of a new stadium, this is SISU, they are complete liars and bullshitters, they've neither the funds or the ambition to build anything anywhere. The whole club is being run as if on a precipice. They'll dump it and liquidate when they lose their next court case and that will be that. Hedge fund sharks from London are not interested in long term building projects in a City where they are hated and have no affinity with. I'm planning on going next Sunday but not because I'm expecting any longevity for the club but because it's nice to go and have a cold one with fellow sufferers !

ccfc92

Not necessarily, there are lots of revenue opportunities that might present themselves even without the sort of bells and whistles the Ricoh has. There would be conference facilities, banqueting suites, function rooms for weddings, parties and that sort of thing. Presumably there would be a hotel, bars, restaurants, chargeable on-site parking - perhaps there might even be office space and sort some of housing development that forms part of the plans, and then of course there are additional matchday revenues we don't have access to at the moment. Perhaps. Thing is we just don't know, and I worry that we'll all be sat here in next year asking the same questions.

Exactly my point, show us fans the viability, and we'll get behind the idea. Although I'd prefer a stadium inside Coventry. Not Nuneaton or Hinkley area.

Nonleagueherewecome

Your collective anger should be aimed at the organisation that has orchestrated this whole saga for the last 7 years, none of this Wasp debacle would have happened had it not been for them, Northampton, buildling a new ground somewhere, anywhere, and then there's the playing side neglect, selling starlets, transfer embargos etc, etc.. Had the great man, Jimmy Hill been fit and well he would have condemned them loud and clear, with what support from some on here i wonder !

You won't find any bigger critic of SISU than me, but in no way can you turn around and say that their behaviour makes this any the more acceptable or palatable? So much for rugby fans being a "better class" than us football oiks, eh?

Vedere

How dare you sully the memory of Jimmy. RIP. Oh, hang on a minute. No one is dead!

Last edited:

theferret

HAHAHAHAHAHA, fucking hell fire. A sad day in Coventry's history is the cathedral being bombed, Ryton plant closing down, Coventry leaving Highfield Road and Relegation to League 1. But no!! some cheeky fucker puts a flag in the hand of a statue and there is fucking outcry. Two words boys 'Drama Queens'. Still, it's nice to see the real burning issues are getting your bloods boiling.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking specifically about the flag incident and was making a general point about the symbolism of today and how it underlines just how far the club has fallen and how bleak it's future is - and for many people in Coventry, the football club means a great deal to them.

The only one getting hysterical is you. The moment people start making lame references to the blitz it's time to close the thread I think.

Nick

Administrator
You won't find any bigger critic of SISU than me, but in no way can you turn around and say that their behaviour makes this any the more acceptable or palatable? So much for rugby fans being a "better class" than us football oiks, eh?

Apparently it was a city fan.

To be honest, if I went to a random rugger ground I wouldn't know who their statue was for.

Nonleagueherewecome

What do you find more offensive? That or us playing in Northampton?

Both are offensive, obviosuly. It doesn't need quantifying or measuring, they're both bad!

martcov

If true that is a bit wrong.

I can see why a Wasps fan would do it, few beers, not really knowing, ere lads watch this type thing.

I can see why a city fan would do it.... To wind everyone up and get the blood boiling... I thing it is a sick action.

The Gentleman

I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking specifically about the flag incident and was making a general point about the symbolism of today and how it underlines just how far the club has fallen and how bleak it's future is - and for many people in Coventry, the football club means a great deal to them.

Really after a post like that. Jesus man, the references were merely made to underline the fact that there are far more serious things to get worked about about than this. I mean somebody put a flag in the hand of a statue, they didn't piss on it, spray it in graffiti, try to pull it down or sit swinging off it in numbers. No that's because you'll usually find that it is football fans who do that sort of thing. But wait, Cov fans have already been blamed of doing that by Nick haven't they

Nonleagueherewecome

Because it is all inter linked. Us moving to sixfields for a year triggered what happened today. So if easily offended by the flag them I assume Stupot was outraged and disgusted when we were playing at sixfields?

At some stage you have to actually judge things in the present, though. Why, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to blame SISU for anything as it's all that Brian Richardson's fault, isn't it? This news, I don't blame on SISU: I blame it on a disrespectful Wasps fan. How he got there isn't the issue, what he did when he got there is.

Nick

Administrator

Really after a post like that. Jesus man, the references were merely made to underline the fact that there are far more serious things to get worked about about than this. I mean somebody put a flag in the hand of a statue, they didn't piss on it, spray it in graffiti, try to pull it down or sit swinging off it in numbers. No that's because you'll usually find that it is football fans who do that sort of thing. But wait, Cov fans have already been blamed of doing that by Nick haven't they

Wasn't me who said it was originally? Keep up dear.

chiefdave

But wait, Cov fans have already been blamed of doing that by Nick haven't they

So now Cov fans are going to get the blame for anything negative that happens at Wasps games? If it was done at a Wasps game it was either done by a Wasps fan or a fan of whoever they were playing.

Nonleagueherewecome

Apparently it was a so-called city fan.

To be honest, if I went to a random rugger ground I wouldn't know who their statue was for.

Corrected that for you.

Nick

Administrator
So now Cov fans are going to get the blame for anything negative that happens at Wasps games? If it was done at a Wasps game it was either done by a Wasps fan or a fan of whoever they were playing.

I only reposted what somebody said about it apparently being a CCFC Fan who did it. Not saying it is 100% true, wasn't there. ;)

Obviously a Wasps or the other team fan to be there though.

CCFC_Charlie

Some of our fans are so anti-SISU that they're becoming anti-CCFC. Would rather see the club fail to spite SISU than anything else.

The Lurker

At some stage you have to actually judge things in the present, though. Why, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to blame SISU for anything as it's all that Brian Richardson's fault, isn't it? This news, I don't blame on SISU: I blame it on a disrespectful Wasps fan. How he got there isn't the issue, what he did when he got there is.

Is it really disrespectful??? Was the statue sabotaged? No. If it was I would get the anger. It seems to me that people are using any excuse to jump on the anti wasps bandwagon and it's really pathetic

Grendel

Is it really disrespectful??? Was the statue sabotaged? No. If it was I would get the anger. It seems to me that people are using any excuse to jump on the anti wasps bandwagon and it's really pathetic

It seems to me people are using any excuse to kiss their ass and that's disgraceful.

Ashdown

Some of our fans are so anti-SISU that they're becoming anti-CCFC. Would rather see the club fail to spite SISU than anything else.

SISU are the reason our club is failing dismally, they have fucked it up on every level, no-one can surely argue with that. The catalogue of errors continue right to this last week when they now might just have fucked up any chance of an amicable relationship with our new landlords by launching yet another pointless and costly court action.

stupot07

SISU are the reason our club is failing dismally, they have fucked it up on every level, no-one can surely argue with that. The catalogue of errors continue right to this last week when they now might just have fucked up any chance of an amicable relationship with our new landlords by launching yet another pointless and costly court action.

Jan said that its not another court action but a technical amendment to the current one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Macca

This is a hilarious over reaction given what I have seen our fans get up to in the past. And any who criticises it usually gets told to get a grip its just boys stuff. And fwiw Jimmy Hill is my all time hero

Macca

Besides apparently the whole wasps thing is doomed to failure so don't understand everyone crying so much

chiefdave

SISU are the reason our club is failing dismally, they have fucked it up on every level, no-one can surely argue with that.

That's correct but thanks to the actions of CCC and Higgs it is now going to be much harder to find someone to replace them and if / when that does happen much harder for that new owner to achieve success.

For me it's simple, SISU are temporary owners. They have been a disaster and their actions have dragged us down to the lowest level in most people lifetime. But there was always the hope that someone would come in and do a better job and buy the stadium as was always intended leading us back up to at least the Championship if not the PL. However the actions of CCC and Higgs will damage the club for decades to come and may well prove a huge, if not insurmountable, hurdle to moving back up and being competitive at a higher level.

Ashdown

Jan said that its not another court action but a technical amendment to the current one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

It's not good enough, it's pointless and will no doubt be loaded against the football club and effect our budget come January. Everything about these leeches has been destructive and negative.

Ashdown

That's correct but thanks to the actions of CCC and Higgs it is now going to be much harder to find someone to replace them and if / when that does happen much harder for that new owner to achieve success.

For me it's simple, SISU are temporary owners. They have been a disaster and their actions have dragged us down to the lowest level in most people lifetime. But there was always the hope that someone would come in and do a better job and buy the stadium as was always intended leading us back up to at least the Championship if not the PL. However the actions of CCC and Higgs will damage the club for decades to come and may well prove a huge, if not insurmountable, hurdle to moving back up and being competitive at a higher level.

I agree with your post too, the club has been used as a pawn by one side and you would have hope our local authorities could at least have shown loyalty to the historical Coventry club to give it every chance of rebuilding. We've been shit on by everyone involved !

theferret

You're basically moaning about the irrationality of football fans. Really? Have you ever been to the football? Have you ever stood there while thousands of people around you are going bat-shit crazy - the kind of crazy you never see outside of a football ground. Nothing else makes you behave like that - not even the birth of a child, and yet we all know which is the more important.

What do you say to people when you seem them going berserk? 'Calm down, some people haven't got enough food to eat?' What about when someone next to you starts berating the referee for a poor decision - out of their seat pointing, spitting and screaming - the sort of thing they probably would never do away from the football, do you remind them that some people haven't got home to live in and that children the world over are being mistreated and abused?

What happened here is that a few football fans reacted angrily and somewhat irrationally (as they are prone to do) when they thought an icon of their club had been disrespected, and then you piped up in that superior tone making references to the Blitz and reminding us all that some things in life are more important, as though that even needed to be said.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Your collective anger should be aimed at the organisation that has orchestrated this whole saga for the last 7 years, none of this Wasp debacle would have happened had it not been for them, Northampton, buildling a new ground somewhere, anywhere, and then there's the playing side neglect, selling starlets, transfer embargos etc, etc.. Had the great man, Jimmy Hill been fit and well he would have condemned them loud and clear, with what support from some on here i wonder !

Giving Wasps and their new found fan boys a free ride to do what they like because SISU ballsed up on getting the Ricoh?

Block19

I wasn't really bothered by the Wasps moving into the stadium until I went saturday and saw all wasps logos on the stadium and now it doesn't feel like our home anymore. Also very faint pitch markings makes you realise that the egg chasers game is most important now

Users who are viewing this thread