Jimmy Hill permanent memorial at Ricoh (1 Viewer)

wingy

New memorial garden at the Ricoh With Commemorative stone and part of his ashes scattered, I believe.

NorthernWisdom

New memorial garden at the Ricoh With Commemorative stone and part of his ashes scattered, I believe.

A nice gesture. Not sure this is the thread for it so I'll try and phrase this properly but...

Not sure it's the right place, myself. Given the stadium issues (and beyond anything else, the fact we might not be there in a couple of years!) I'd have thought the site of HR, or something at Ryton would have been more appropriate myself.

But... nice gesture, emphasising that in the hope it doesn't degenerate into the usual ;)

skybluetony176

A nice gesture. Not sure this is the thread for it so I'll try and phrase this properly but...

Not sure it's the right place, myself. Given the stadium issues (and beyond anything else, the fact we might not be there in a couple of years!) I'd have thought the site of HR, or something at Ryton would have been more appropriate myself.

But... nice gesture, emphasising that in the hope it doesn't degenerate into the usual ;)

You'd think naming Ryton after him is obvious to be fair. It was his idea afterall.

Nick

Administrator

Yeah, something at HR might have been better.

wingy

Yep occurred to me as well with the Instability around our home.

chiefdave

Is this separate to the existing memorial garden? Hopefully if we should ever move whatever the tribute is will be moved as well as they did when we moved from HR.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Rename Swan Lane "Jimmy Hill Way".

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My nephew is getting married, believe it or not at a venue very close to where you live at the begining of August. A lovely setting with a Cider apple orchard if you pop across I'll buy you a pint mate ;)

Getting married in Newport? Mines a Guinness! :)

Nick

Administrator
Hmm not sure about it there to be honest.

I'd much have preferred something that actually relates to him. Something like Ryton or where HR was.

Fair play to the local companies donating things though.

The memorial garden is on the Wasps heavy side of the stadium too.

Gazolba

Why not at the new stadium? We'll have it soon, won't we?

Terry Gibson's perm

Except it's the only asset that Sisu can sell.

We will be at the Ricoh for the next 10 years at least so this is our home for the foreseeable future.

No asset really what can you use it for never going to get planning permission for houses.

Ashdown

There is a fantastic statue of the man, they held a memorial service like no other club associate has ever received, isn't it all enough now ! It's time we stopped looking backwards for inspiration, every 10th home game seems to be a 'Legends' day, where we roll out all the poor old souls who haven't dwindled away ?! The football club seems to be living on it's distant past, we need stars for todays kids to admire and to be making history of some sort in the 21st century !

Nick

Administrator
It's actually on the corner between the Wasps heavy Higgs stand and the CCFC heavy East stand.

Not sure if either CCFC or Wasps see the Ricoh as their home yet but only time will tell.

Let's face it, the memorial wall is nothing in comparison is it?

There would have been better places in the city to remember him.

JS53377232.jpg
jimmy.jpg

skybluetony176

Let's face it, the memorial wall is nothing in comparison is it?

There would have been better places in the city to remember him.

JS53377232.jpg
jimmy.jpg

FFS stop acting like a petty child and leave the petty Wasps squabbles out of a thread for once.

Especially this thread.

Last edited:

italiahorse

That was before he died but was ill.

I just think something different and more permanent could be sorted.

I like walking past JH on way to my seat.
If it was at HR I wouldn't bother, it would be another brass plaque on a wall for people to find.

As I have said may times, get a long term deal and start to set up parts of the stadium as CCFC areas.
The back of the East stand looks like our area.

Nick

Administrator
FFS stop acting like a petty child and leave the petty Wasps squabbles out of a thread for once.

Especially this thread.
It isn't a wasps squabble, it is saying there would have been better options maybe rather than a backdrop of wasps livery to a ground that's unsure of us.

That's wether it was wasps, cov rugby or cov bees etc.

italiahorse

It isn't a wasps squabble, it is saying there would have been better options maybe rather than a backdrop of wasps livery to a ground that's unsure of us.

That's wether it was wasps, cov rugby or cov bees etc.

Most people don't have a problem.
It's not as if theres a Wasps flag on it everyday.
I bet even JH wouldn't be bothered.

But hey, keep putting the picture up to keep the Wasps CCFC divide going and make out it was more than a one off.

Nick

Administrator
Most people don't have a problem.
It's not as if theres a Wasps flag on it everyday.
I bet even JH wouldn't be bothered.

But hey, keep putting the picture up to keep the Wasps CCFC divide going and make out it was more than a one off.
Strange, a few people are unsure about it being there according to this thread?

My point is that somewhere more permanent, more related to him could have been done.

Users who are viewing this thread