Jimmy Carr (1 Viewer)

fernandopartridge

Not that his latest is against the trend with him but what an awful smug wanker he is. The non-thinking man's edgy comedian.

Otis

I watched the new show and enjoyed it. Some things he says I don't find that funny, but then a lot of it I do.

I can't really remember the holocaust joke to be quite honest. 🤷

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I find him to vary quite alot, sometimes very funny but at other times he just seems to be bullying people. Having said that, i havent watched many of his routines right through. Any idea why yesterday saw all this reaction to a show that was released on Christmas Day??

NorthernWisdom

Also been said that he is quite a nice guy in real life. It's just a stage persona isn't it?
Back in't day, I saw him before he was famous, as warm-up man for the Sketch Show (Lee Mack and co.) He made some joke about Christianity which a couple in the front row took offence at, and were quite happy to tell him! After a brief moment of to-and-fro, he capitulated and spent a lot of time telling them he was terribly sorry, he didn't want to upset anybody, he hoped they were OK.

Showed then the bravado was a lot of front.

Terry_dactyl

Doesn't Ricky Gervais do the same though? Ricky Gervais has said that you should be able to make a joke out of anything didn't he?
Doesn’t mean he’s right.
Anyway, I think the problem with Carr is that he often fails to do this. Besides from being occasionally offensive I don’t think his stuff is that funny. Certainly the standup I’ve seen, isnt particularly funny or creative.
He’s managed to achieve being offensive on a number of levels.

Marty

His stand up is very samey, but don't mind him as a host on TV shows. Pulls it off well.

What's he done this time?

stay_up_skyblues

I watched the special last night. Like all of his stand up I found it just ok. A few bits funny, most not. On one hand he is (quite rightly) calling out people who dismissed BLM etc. as racist but then goes on to make the gypsy joke.

I’m in the camp of most things should be fair game in comedy and if you don’t like it don’t watch. But then when the audience start cheering death jokes about a certain race it’s veering into Chubby Brown territory. I won’t lose any sleep if he is cancelled, mainly because the blokes a bit of a twat.

Otis

I find him to vary quite alot, sometimes very funny but at other times he just seems to be bullying people. Having said that, i havent watched many of his routines right through. Any idea why yesterday saw all this reaction to a show that was released on Christmas Day??
Weird isn't it. The show has been available to stream for some time and yet now all of a sudden it all blows up and everyone is offended.

Why weren't they offended when it was first released?

🤷

stay_up_skyblues

Weird isn't it. The show has been available to stream for some time and yet now all of a sudden it all blows up and everyone is offended.

🤷

Makes no sense. As Frankie Boyle says often happens, someone has probably took it upon themselves to get offended on behalf of another and then taken the time to point it out to the subject matter who wouldn’t otherwise have watched it!

Nick

Administrator
It's a joke on a show that's been out for weeks, guess somebody has been offended and posted on social media and a bandwagon has started from people who haven't seen it.

Sign of the times. "Solidarity" and cancel culture.

🤷

Yeah, i can totally understand people finding it offensive but the timing of the backlash didn't make much sense to me.

ajsccfc

Holocaust memorial day was recent so I guess that's the catalyst. Seems fairly standard stuff for him really though, his career is based on that kind of material. 'Too far? Who me? *seal laugh*'

Always wonder how much of the audience enjoys dicier stuff without the irony that's supposed to be assumed, like how Al Murray's pub landlord character also appeals to some of the people he's trying to spoof.

CCFCSteve

There are and have always been loads of comedians that have pushed the boundaries on unacceptable subjects. Some of it will undoubtedly cross the line but that’s for people who pay to watch him to judge.

If they don’t like it and don’t pay to watch then he won’t do those type of jokes. If they do, we live in a free country and as long as he’s not inciting violence or hatred it’s his and his viewers choice

On a personal level I want comedians to still be allowed to push the boundaries. If I don’t like what they say, I won’t watch

clint van damme

Yes, I remember it now. I didn't find it funny, but then wasn't really offended either. It's Jimmy Carr, it does what it says on the tin. Not as if it would have been totally unexpected is it.

He can say what he wants as far as I'm concerned but the posted I quoted seemed to have a weird take on things

Moff

Yes, I remember it now. I didn't find it funny, but then wasn't really offended either. It's Jimmy Carr, it does what it says on the tin. Not as if it would have been totally unexpected is it.

Totally agree Otis.

Went to see him on his recent tour at the Warwick Arts Centre.

I've seen a lot of different comedians and whilst I would not say he is one of my favourites, some of his stuff can be quite funny. I just enjoy seeing what different comedians do live, and what they offer.

I recall this joke being told. The overall consensus was a few laughs and a lot of gasps. No boos. To me it was what it was, I wouldn't have said it, nor do I agree with it, but that's his type of material and is to be expected.

Brighton Sky Blue

Anybody ever played cards of humanity or too offensive?

I’ve played that and I think South Park’s one of the funniest shows on TV. But one’s private between friends and the other is basically the only one given ‘permission’ to cross the line.

Holocaust memorial day was recent so I guess that's the catalyst. Seems fairly standard stuff for him really though, his career is based on that kind of material. 'Too far? Who me? *seal laugh*'

Always wonder how much of the audience enjoys dicier stuff without the irony that's supposed to be assumed, like how Al Murray's pub landlord character also appeals to some of the people he's trying to spoof.

The memorial day was my first thought but it was jan 27th so still seems a bit of a delay.

Think you're spot on about the irony and i think that is where much of the calls to ban things cones from. If you don't trust people to see that its clearly a joke and not reinforce their prejudoces then it drives some to demand the removal of stuff. Its far more likely to see 'ban/remove' demands as opposed to people suggesting that maybe it'd be better of people didn't watch it in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread