JDS (2 Viewers)

messiahrobins

If they are interested what on earth have their scouts seen.
To be fair JDS is pretty good on Football Manager, not as good as Bidwell, but really good going forward, so im assuming that is the Freiburg way of scouting.

messiahrobins

I hope we move Dasilva on, we tried it and I personally don’t think it’s worked out. He’s pretty small and I just don’t see what particular qualities he possesses that other LBs in the league don’t also have.

There’s a lot of talk about this Burroughs bloke but I’m wary about getting another defender from a league 1 team, like is this our new model? Buy semi-decent players from league 1 and hope it works out? We’re in a cracking position to do well next season, I hope we’re aiming a lot higher than signing another geezer from Peterborough, there’s just so many other leagues out there, I’m getting a bit sick of being promised the earth with the “potential” that league 1 players can bring.
I get your point, and it is well made, but the other way of doing things is to bring in older PL players who maybe not playing regularly, and while they are proven, the issue then is motivation for such players having already played at the highest level. If i hav the choice i prefer the way we are doing it.

shmmeee

I get your point, and it is well made, but the other way of doing things is to bring in older PL players who maybe not playing regularly, and while they are proven, the issue then is motivation for such players having already played at the highest level. If i hav the choice i prefer the way we are doing it.

Id rather bring in players from leagues like Belgium, Japan, Norway, etc and PL academy cast offs, ideally ones with a season or two of L1 football behind them.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that of our likely four big money players (Vik, Gus, Cal, Sheaf) two and a half are from PL academies (Vik the half) and one and a half from Northern Europe (and also decent academies). Of the next likely ones (Wright Simms MvE and Saka) Wright aside, who is older, the others are Benelux and Everton.

Cally Fedora

Scouts drill down into the granular minutiae of a players attributes. Unlike some of our fans who just say "hes shit" if he loses a header.
That’s great. But I can assure you I don’t need any granular minutiae to tell me he can’t defend. Maybe one of the dangers of the method you describe is that you can convince yourself of things that just aren’t there.

BlueSkiesForever

Yeah I see what you mean, although I was more thinking of just continuing to look at European markets where players are probably more under the radar and therefore do offer value for money. I think because every team in the championship has a similar idea of looking at league 1 players it means those players are maybe overrated compared to the actual potential they represent.

I’m obviously not certain on that, I just look at the players that have done well for us and they’ve all come from obscure European leagues/teams, Van Ewijk, Sakamoto, Torp, Haji etc, whereas almost all of our league 1 signings have flopped.

Legia Sky Blue

Yeah I see what you mean, although I was more thinking of just continuing to look at European markets where players are probably more under the radar and therefore do offer value for money. I think because every team in the championship has a similar idea of looking at league 1 players it means those players are maybe overrated compared to the actual potential they represent.

I’m obviously not certain on that, I just look at the players that have done well for us and they’ve all come from obscure European leagues/teams, Van Ewijk, Sakamoto, Torp, Haji etc, whereas almost all of our league 1 signings have flopped.

You have clearly erased Hillsner & Kastaneer from your memory bank!

Skybluedownunder

I hope we move Dasilva on, we tried it and I personally don’t think it’s worked out. He’s pretty small and I just don’t see what particular qualities he possesses that other LBs in the league don’t also have.

There’s a lot of talk about this Burroughs bloke but I’m wary about getting another defender from a league 1 team, like is this our new model? Buy semi-decent players from league 1 and hope it works out? We’re in a cracking position to do well next season, I hope we’re aiming a lot higher than signing another geezer from Peterborough, there’s just so many other leagues out there, I’m getting a bit sick of being promised the earth with the “potential” that league 1 players can bring.

I’d personally love Burrows.
I always never wanted JDS, when we were linked to him the January before I was hoping we wouldn’t go back for him in the summer but here we are… let’s just hope we aren’t stuck with him for three more years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I can see Dasilva staying as the attacking full back we put on chasing a game and McCallum as the defensive option. Would be nice to find a player who can do both like MvE, but I guess they’re pretty rare at this level.

skybluecam

I’d personally love Burrows.
I always never wanted JDS, when we were linked to him the January before I was hoping we wouldn’t go back for him in the summer but here we are… let’s just hope we aren’t stuck with him for three more years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I suspect Dasilva is here to stay now. He’s a very hard sell given his contract length.

shmmeee

McCallum is perfectly capable going forward. He'd be a great signing in my view.

It’s the reason he’s not established himself at Norwich generally from what I understand and was his weakness when he was here. His use of the ball was generally the worst part of his game.

Hertsccfc

It’s the reason he’s not established himself at Norwich generally from what I understand and was his weakness when he was here. His use of the ball was generally the worst part of his game.
I am not sure that's true. I think his development has been hampered by injuries and his passing was fine when with us.

shmmeee

I am not sure that's true. I think his development has been hampered by injuries and his passing was fine when with us.

It really wasn’t. He wasn’t helped by having Hyam on that side, but he was very poor at attacking, preferring to play safe balls back and inside more than anything. His most effective attacking period was when we were backs to the wall and employed his height from goal kicks and his long throw.

Here’s the Norwich head coach on him:

And an interview with him:

It’s clear he’s the backup and that he’s been working on moving from a defensive full back to one more comfortable attacking (you’ll also note that heading and long throws specifically are mentioned as his attacking strengths)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I can see Dasilva staying as the attacking full back we put on chasing a game and McCallum as the defensive option. Would be nice to find a player who can do both like MvE, but I guess they’re pretty rare at this level.
A left-sided MvE would be the dream.

But thinking about it does make the McCallum thing slightly odd. MR signed Dasilva to be attacking and has clearly not wanted to favour Bidwell for two years because he isn't as attacking. So seems if Bidwell is going he's being replaced by someone quite similar.

shmmeee

But thinking about it does make the McCallum thing slightly odd. MR signed Dasilva to be attacking and has clearly not wanted to favour Bidwell for two years because he isn't as attacking. So seems if Bidwell is going he's being replaced by someone quite similar.

Bidwell is a more limited on the ball than McCallum, I think he’s an upgrade on Bidwell certainly in terms of resale he is. And mostly I don’t think Robins ever wanted to lose McCallum and likes working with him and that counts for a lot. Especially with almost all the old guard gone now, getting someone in who you know gets it is appealing.

CCFCSteve

We get caught on the break too often already. If we’re sticking with a four, I’m happy to have a more defensive LB. Good business if we get him back on a free

PVA

He's an upgrade on both. Bidwell will be moved on and Dasilva, I agree with Shmmeee, will be used when chasing games and doesn't have to do much defending.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'd be happy with that tbf.

Gibbo

I think Bidwell will go, the Peterborough lad will come in, and it will be between him and Dasilva.

Which is a shame, I'd like it to be Bidwell and the other lad, (whoever it may be).
Why are people so certain Bidwell will go? I must have missed that email.

Offhegoes

McCallum has impressed me when I've seen him since he left. He really came into his own too by the end of the 20/21 season. Would be happy with him coming back

Mucca Mad Boys

McCallum has impressed me when I've seen him since he left. He really came into his own too by the end of the 20/21 season. Would be happy with him coming back

At 23, Sam McCallum has far more upside than Bidwell and in most categories is ahead of him statistically.

There’s an odd obsession with Bidwell from our fans. He’s a solid player but it’s a position we can improve on. At this point in his career, Bidwell deserves to start for someone so if he’s not a first choice, he’d rightly want a move away.

Users who are viewing this thread