JCS (2 Viewers)

junglej13

The likes of Grant at United, Carson at Man City and now Forster at Spurs are odd ones. A lot of money for no game time but I guess the thinking is having an aging but good Goalkeeper around in helps a lot in training the Forwards. Also their experience would help young keepers. Then having a decent 3rd choice for an emergency. Probably makes sense financialy for the massive teams
Noticed Everton just offered Lonergan a new deal as well. Thought he was long retired.

Frostie

The likes of Grant at United, Carson at Man City and now Forster at Spurs are odd ones. A lot of money for no game time but I guess the thinking is having an aging but good Goalkeeper around in helps a lot in training the Forwards. Also their experience would help young keepers. Then having a decent 3rd choice for an emergency. Probably makes sense financialy for the massive teams

Always an Englishman too, it's also to help comply with the registration rules in the European competitions.

Bad Boy

Yeah it seems rough but the earning career is short. You'd be lucky to have 10 yrs earning anything near that. Those sort of figures are really only the top 40 or so club sides in the UK and as the industry makes the money it would be pretty fucked up if the people actually providing the entertainment on the field didn't get a fair share of the profits. Jimmy Hill kicked that off, players used to get ripped off and left unemployed with all sorts of horrible health issues.

Also they generate plenty of income tax. There are plenty of worse cases outside of elite sport
Fair point, the earning potential is limited to perhaps 10 years maximum but it's not like a recently retired professional footballer goes from £?k a week to national minimum wage the next week, a fair number stay in the game in some capacity with an acceptable salary to boot and those that don't should have invested wisely, me thinks.

Last edited:

no_loyalty

Always an Englishman too, it's also to help comply with the registration rules in the European competitions.

Yes, I remember Rob Green was at Chelsea for a few years and traveled to every game with the squad.

CDK

Short of picking up new talent can't see a money making scheme of any note there .

Bertola

That update from Turner sounds pretty positive. Fingers crossed it's backed up by the likes of Better Days and Skybluebeliever

shmmeee

Like him a lot as a player, but cos of his injury record I won’t be gutted if he doesn’t come here. As long as we find another ball playing LCB

SeaSeeEffCee

Like him a lot as a player, but cos of his injury record I won’t be gutted if he doesn’t come here. As long as we find another ball playing LCB
Perhaps we can find one if we dig deep enough into other Championship clubs’ scrap heaps.

Winny the Bish

Very annoying. I felt more confident and thought the defence always looked better with him in it (ignoring Luton away).

Definitely need to replace him with a natural left footer.

Skybluebeliever

I heard a while back that the lad probably wouldn't be back but @Skybluebeliever is usually on the money and said more recently that he thought it was back on
The club were not prepared to pay a signing on fee and salary that were being asked for hence why originally it was a no go , it then appeared there were no takers so we were back in , always the risk someone comes in and offers what the player wants

CDK

Sure there is more than 1 target and hopefully with a better injury history.

pusbccfc

Not worth around 10k a week.

fatso

Let's all re watch the highlights of our thrashing at Luton to see how good JCS really was!

Terry Gibson's perm

I thought he would have had more choice than us and QPR, considering teams like Leeds were mentioned at the start.

junglej13

Very frustrating the whole saga. I understand an agents job is to get the best deal for his client but surely the player must also have some idea where he'd like to play. Really does sound like he is going for the wrong reasons.

slowpoke

Disappointing if true we knew what we were getting with him, but there will be another lots of decent players out of contract at the moment.

Last edited:

long way home

Smart by him and his agent to use our offer to get what he wanted. And if money is the most important factor in his decision, then im glad he got it and even happier he signed elsewhere.

Nice player, but not the next Franco Baresi is he. We will find other players and hopefully ones who would happily be at the club and buy into what MR is doing. Lots of players out there looking for a chance to prove themselves and ones who will run over broken glass to be at a club like ours.

Not a massive loss in my opinion, just a loss of wasted time trying to convince him to sign for the club. Onwards and upwards, get the next one in and don't look back at the ones who had to think too hard to sign. Those are the ones you don't lose, they are the ones you are lucky to miss out on.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread