JCS / Maatsen / Sheaf (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
No shock that JCS / Maatsen had bad games last night and against Luton. Both times we had Hamer with Allen and O'Hare in Front. This left is really exposed down that side.

JCS / Maatsen seem to play much better when Sheaf drifts out to help when Maatsen goes forward.

pusbccfc

Not seen anyone else say it, but for me Maatsen has been quietly playing poorly for a while now.

End product is poor. Often caught out at the back too when up against a decent winger.

Nick

Administrator
He put in a great cross last night but Gyo didn't header it. Same with the cross at Hull.

SBAndy

No shock that JCS / Maatsen had bad games last night and against Luton. Both times we had Hamer with Allen and O'Hare in Front. This left is really exposed down that side.

JCS / Maatsen seem to play much better when Sheaf drifts out to help when Maatsen goes forward.

Agreed. The team structure was very gung-ho against a team who are very adept on the ball.

Nick

Administrator
We rely on CDM to drift into the space to cover when the wing backs go forward. Every time Maatsen tried to get out of our half he had a ball played inside between him and JCS.

Usually with Sheaf (or even Kelly) they drop in there.

Hamer was trying to do both sides.

no_loyalty

We rely on CDM to drift into the space to cover when the wing backs go forward. Every time Maatsen tried to get out of our half he had a ball played inside between him and JCS.

Usually with Sheaf (or even Kelly) they drop in there.

Hamer was trying to do both sides.

As I said in the match thread we were overun in midfield, Hamer and Allen were both forward and it left gaps in behind for Swansea to penetrate, I was surprised Sheaf or Kelly didn't come on at HT for Allen.

SBS

As I said in the match thread we were overun in midfield, Hamer and Allen were both forward and it left gaps in behind for Swansea to penetrate, I was surprised Sheaf or Kelly didn't come on at HT for Allen.
I thought one of them should’ve came on for a CB. The gap between the midfield and strikers was too big when we pressed 2nd half, Swansea played it straight through.

Don’t think we needed three CB’s and a DM would’ve allowed Hamer and Allen to close the gap

SlowerThanPlatt

Not seen anyone else say it, but for me Maatsen has been quietly playing poorly for a while now.

End product is poor. Often caught out at the back too when up against a decent winger.

I thought he was our best player Saturday but was torn apart by Laird last night, a reality check against another youngster from a top club.

wingy

I'm not sure all this rotation is good for Sheaf ,but he has to eliminate these lapse moments in his game .
It's understandable to try and utilise Allen after a couple of top drawer showings from him early on but without getting carried away he probably can't maintain it week in week out .
Kelly too unless there's injuries .
What I'm really saying is the spot belongs to Sheaf let him play through the mishaps it's generally better for the team.

no_loyalty

I thought one of them should’ve came on for a CB. The gap between the midfield and strikers was too big when we pressed 2nd half, Swansea played it straight through.

Don’t think we needed three CB’s and a DM would’ve allowed Hamer and Allen to close the gap

Yes, we could have replaced JCS at half time (as he was having a poor game) with Kelly or Sheaf and gone four at the back.

pusbccfc

He put in one superb ball at Preston as well. Though part of the problem is that you don't know what he's going to do with it a lot of the time.

That's the issue. They need to work on it more during training. Dabo and Maatsen get into good positions but never seem to find the man in the box. Godden and Gyökeres movement is never where it should be in those situations.

Users who are viewing this thread