January transfers around the league (1 Viewer)

JohnWH

I cannot be bothered to keep track of any interesting ins-and-outs from all other teams all on my own.
So, brilliantly thought to make a post wherein I leverage the forum to do my heavy lifting for me.
Who's going where,and why should we care?

Billy Sharp makes his magnificent return, going to Hull. Gotta be a more vibrant city than Los Angeles I imagine.

Astute

Billy Sharp makes his magnificent return, going to Hull. Gotta be a more vibrant city than Los Angeles I imagine.
Billy Idol lives in Los Angeles.

I'm sure he would prefer Hull too.

ccfc1234

Why should we sign him , what would he bring that's different to Godden?
An international winger! Quite a bit I would imagine. I am not sure why the West Brom loan has not been continued with however and I am sure Robins will have other targets.

TomS91

Not the top 20 are doing a daily email in January with a round up of the transfers. Here is this morning's edition, rounding up yday's deals.

Jeremy Sarmiento (W) - [Brighton - Ipswich Town] - loan

A day after being recalled from West Bromwich Albion, Brighton have diverted this tricky Venezuelan international to Ipswich Town.

With 7 starts and 13 substitute appearances in the league, Sarmiento never truly broke into Carlos Corberan’s WBA first XI, though he did have a few dynamic moments.

Some will raise eyebrows at him ‘falling upwards’ in terms of the league position of his former and current loan club. And looking at the current options — Broadhead, Harness, Chaplin, Burns, Hutchinson — you have to wonder: will he actually get more minutes than he did at WBA?

Regardless of game time, one thing is for sure: 6 months learning defensive structure from Corberan, and 6 months soaking in the attacking patterns at the altar of McKenna — that’s a serious secondment for someone learning the game.

RATING: ON THE FENCE

Adam Murphy (CM) - [St Patrick’s Athletic- Bristol City] - Undisclosed

The 18-year-old is one of the hottest properties in Irish football. An all-action box-to-box midfielder, he is similar stylistically to fellow countryman and new teammate Jason Knight and arrives at Ashton Gate having played 35 games in a very successful season at St Pat’s. He is undoubtedly a long term signing, rather than acquired for instant impact, but one to keep a close eye on.

RATING: LOVE IT

Luke Harris (AM) - [Fulham - Exeter City] - Loan

There are parallels with Jay Stansfield's move last season: Fulham sending a teenager they rate highly, who has already made his Premier League debut, to Exeter for his first loan. That successful connection will have helped, but such lofty comparisons might not; Harris, 18, just needs senior football, and thought he had it when Exeter made overtures in the summer that ultimately came to nothing.

The attacking midfielder, who made his senior Wales debut last autumn, takes up good goalscoring positions and has proven prolific at youth-team level – potentially useful, then, for the lowest scorers in League One.

RATING: LIKE IT

Ronan Coughlan (ST) - [Waterford - Fleetwood] - Undisclosed

The link between Fleetwood and Waterford continues, as yet another player takes the step from Ireland to the EFL. This time it is the turn of Ronan Coughlan, scorer of 35 goals in the Irish second tier last season.

That goalscoring output is a one-off compared to the rest of his career, and at the age of 27, it’s the first time he’s really caught form. It’s worth emphasising just how huge the gap in quality is between League One and the Irish First Division. With Stockley, Marriott and Tsimanga all on the books, Coughlan may need to be patient if he is to make an impact for the Cod Army.

Gwion Edwards (W) - [Unattached - Morecambe] - Free

For Morecambe, there's a clear need for bodies in wide, attacking areas, and not a lot of budget to work with. 30-year-old Edwards had a good seven-year stretch, mostly in League One, between 2014-15 and 2020-21, but has experienced a sharp decline in the last two seasons, compounded by injury, and hasn't been attached to a club this season until now. Versatile enough to play on both sides, Edwards used to be a decent dribbler with good shot volume, scoring at around a 1 in 5 rate. Can't knock the signing, but it's hard to know what level he will be at, physically.

Conor Wilkinson (ST) - [Motherwell - Colchester] - Undisclosed

It’s fair to say Wilkinson is a scorer of great goals rather than a great scorer of goals. A player who occasionally shines, his move to Motherwell didn’t quite work out, scoring just three goals in 14 SPFL games. At the age of 28, he has failed to settle at one club at any point in his career, and whether or not ColU can be that club is up for debate. He’s the type of player who could thrive when playing in the right system and having a motivator to put an arm around him. Do Colchester have either of those things? We’re not so sure.

Conor Carty (ST) - [Bolton - Doncaster] - Loan

Bustling 21-year-old Irish centre forward who impressed enough in a recent loan at St. Pat's Athletic to earn a contract extension with Bolton. Tireless work rate will endear him to Donny fans, but needs to add more goals to take his game to the next level.

NorthernWisdom

Not the top 20 are doing a daily email in January with a round up of the transfers. Here is this morning's edition, rounding up yday's deals.

Jeremy Sarmiento (W) - [Brighton - Ipswich Town] - loan

A day after being recalled from West Bromwich Albion, Brighton have diverted this tricky Venezuelan international to Ipswich Town.

With 7 starts and 13 substitute appearances in the league, Sarmiento never truly broke into Carlos Corberan’s WBA first XI, though he did have a few dynamic moments.

Some will raise eyebrows at him ‘falling upwards’ in terms of the league position of his former and current loan club. And looking at the current options — Broadhead, Harness, Chaplin, Burns, Hutchinson — you have to wonder: will he actually get more minutes than he did at WBA?

Regardless of game time, one thing is for sure: 6 months learning defensive structure from Corberan, and 6 months soaking in the attacking patterns at the altar of McKenna — that’s a serious secondment for someone learning the game.

Adam Murphy (CM) - [St Patrick’s Athletic- Bristol City] - Undisclosed

The 18-year-old is one of the hottest properties in Irish football. An all-action box-to-box midfielder, he is similar stylistically to fellow countryman and new teammate Jason Knight and arrives at Ashton Gate having played 35 games in a very successful season at St Pat’s. He is undoubtedly a long term signing, rather than acquired for instant impact, but one to keep a close eye on.

RATING: LOVE IT

Luke Harris (AM) - [Fulham - Exeter City] - Loan

There are parallels with Jay Stansfield's move last season: Fulham sending a teenager they rate highly, who has already made his Premier League debut, to Exeter for his first loan. That successful connection will have helped, but such lofty comparisons might not; Harris, 18, just needs senior football, and thought he had it when Exeter made overtures in the summer that ultimately came to nothing.

The attacking midfielder, who made his senior Wales debut last autumn, takes up good goalscoring positions and has proven prolific at youth-team level – potentially useful, then, for the lowest scorers in League One.

Ronan Coughlan (ST) - [Waterford - Fleetwood] - Undisclosed

The link between Fleetwood and Waterford continues, as yet another player takes the step from Ireland to the EFL. This time it is the turn of Ronan Coughlan, scorer of 35 goals in the Irish second tier last season.

That goalscoring output is a one-off compared to the rest of his career, and at the age of 27, it’s the first time he’s really caught form. It’s worth emphasising just how huge the gap in quality is between League One and the Irish First Division. With Stockley, Marriott and Tsimanga all on the books, Coughlan may need to be patient if he is to make an impact for the Cod Army.

Gwion Edwards (W) - [Unattached - Morecambe] - Free

For Morecambe, there's a clear need for bodies in wide, attacking areas, and not a lot of budget to work with. 30-year-old Edwards had a good seven-year stretch, mostly in League One, between 2014-15 and 2020-21, but has experienced a sharp decline in the last two seasons, compounded by injury, and hasn't been attached to a club this season until now. Versatile enough to play on both sides, Edwards used to be a decent dribbler with good shot volume, scoring at around a 1 in 5 rate. Can't knock the signing, but it's hard to know what level he will be at, physically.

Conor Wilkinson (ST) - [Motherwell - Colchester] - Undisclosed

It’s fair to say Wilkinson is a scorer of great goals rather than a great scorer of goals. A player who occasionally shines, his move to Motherwell didn’t quite work out, scoring just three goals in 14 SPFL games. At the age of 28, he has failed to settle at one club at any point in his career, and whether or not ColU can be that club is up for debate. He’s the type of player who could thrive when playing in the right system and having a motivator to put an arm around him. Do Colchester have either of those things? We’re not so sure.

Conor Carty (ST) - [Bolton - Doncaster] - Loan

Bustling 21-year-old Irish centre forward who impressed enough in a recent loan at St. Pat's Athletic to earn a contract extension with Bolton. Tireless work rate will endear him to Donny fans, but needs to add more goals to take his game to the next level.

The Adam Murphy to Bristol City signing looks interesting. It'd be nice if we could do some forward planning and had one or two similar signings lined up, either this month or in July.

Manchester_sky_blue

tbf even though they haven't (and are unlikely to) work out, they are sensible signings in themselves, and relatively low risk.

the strangest thing with Reid was cancelling his loan back deal and keeping him here to rot in the reserves instead!
Taveres will have a decent career. Probably at league one level but I'm certain he'll do ok. He has been unlucky with injuries and in a sense probably unlucky to be here at the same time as Vik. Under different circumstances he could have been a player for us. I really rated him when I saw him playing for Rochdale

Users who are viewing this thread