Jamie Paterson (1 Viewer)

JimmyHillsbeard

Least he didn't celebrate

Actually I thought he celebrated in an entirely appropriate way. Saluted the Swansea fans and then nodded towards the Cov side and gave them a clap which wasn’t appreciated by all.

I can’t stand the double standards we have over celebrations from ex-players. Robbie Keane is lauded for not celebrating in a Fizzy Pop cup game for Tottenham against us but when he scored the only goal for Leeds in the season we went down he cartwheeled into his bow and arrow thing just like he had done for us the year before.

Londonccfcfan

Think he would've been great competition for O'Hare and showed last night what we missed out on. Shame really. But Robins/the club need to do something in Jan to bolster our options in attacking midfield.
Competituon for Ohare? Paterson is by far a better player , Ohare is good and may be at that level whens hes played 100s of championship games.

Reppz

He’s a great player on his day, but there’s a reason he hasn’t made the step up from the Championship in the last 10+ years and has gone from club to club. He’s extremely inconsistent - I certainly don’t see this form lasting all season.

I’d still take him over O’Hare of course, but then I’d probably take most AM’s in this division over O’Hare

SBT

I know there are people who like to pretend that budgets don’t exist and we’re actually one of the most free-spending teams in the league, but we can’t afford to pay someone like Paterson to backup O’Hare all season, when Swansea will offer him more money to start.

eastwoodsdustman

I know there are people who like to pretend that budgets don’t exist and we’re actually one of the most free-spending teams in the league, but we can’t afford to pay someone like Paterson to backup O’Hare all season, when Swansea will offer him more money to start.

If we'd got him I doubt he'd have been on the bench for us. He's a better player than Vik, Godden and O'Hare and would have played instead of any of the three up front/attacking midfield.

cc84cov

Back up ? For who ? O’Hare is on the bench if Paterson came

Sick Boy

He’d have been first choice.

Grendel

Well we I’m sure are paying Waghorn plenty to sit on the bench

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

If Paterson came O’Hare would be used the same as he was in league 1

Pretty much what I was going to say - Paterson was a lot more expensive option than people recognise, with him being 29 and his last big contract.

If we signed Paterson, he would be directly competing with O’Hare for a position (as we don’t play with wingers that wouldn’t be an alternative for him). Also you would risk stunting the development of a 23 year old (with high re-sale potential and lauded as one of the brightest players in the Championship at the start of the season) for a 29 year old who is entering the final stages of his career.

There’s also the point that Swansea are playing to Paterson’s strength in the number 10 position behind the striker and he’s hit the form of his life. I hate to think of the outrage amongst our fans if we didn’t play 2 upfront at home and Paterson didn’t immediately run the show.

The ‘he’s a Cov boy’ rhetoric only goes so far in choosing where to go. He’s had the chance to play for us like James Collins and gone elsewhere, which is his prerogative as he’s prioritising his career and contract over sentiment.

I’d still have COH over Paterson - COH wants to be here and is a cracking player in the making. He needs a break.

cc84cov

Pretty much what I was going to say - Paterson was a lot more expensive option than people recognise, with him being 29 and his last big contract.

If we signed Paterson, he would be directly competing with O’Hare for a position (as we don’t play with wingers that wouldn’t be an alternative for him). Also you would risk stunting the development of a 23 year old (with high re-sale potential and lauded as one of the brightest players in the Championship at the start of the season) for a 29 year old who is entering the final stages of his career.

There’s also the point that Swansea are playing to Paterson’s strength in the number 10 position behind the striker and he’s hit the form of his life. I hate to think of the outrage amongst our fans if we didn’t play 2 upfront at home and Paterson didn’t immediately run the show.

The ‘he’s a Cov boy’ rhetoric only goes so far in choosing where to go. He’s had the chance to play for us like James Collins and gone elsewhere, which is his prerogative as he’s prioritising his career and contract over sentiment.

I’d still have COH over Paterson - COH wants to be here and is a cracking player in the making. He needs a break.
Paterson every day for me over O’Hare it’s not even close

JimmyHillsbeard

There's no way we signed Bright instead of Paterson.

We might have signed Bright because we couldn't afford Paterson, which of course is entirely different.

Which is exactly the way I tried to phrase it (“ If we really did pull out of signing him to go for Enobakhare in the summer (or go for him after we failed to sign Paterson)”)

After we apparently spoke to him, Paterson trained w Middlesbrough before signing for Swansea. This suggests that his destination wasn’t set in stone after Bristol released him (or that maybe he was holding out for top wages).

Enobakhare was given squad number 11. That suggests to me that he was either the preference to another likely starter or the replacement.

Anyway, Paterson played well against us again last night.

Users who are viewing this thread