Jamie allen (2 Viewers)

Evo1883

Come on what's happened?

Last season we were ALL In agreement this lad wasn't good enough for this league and yet here is is bossing it like Lothar Mattaus and looking every bit a championship player .

Not only is sheaf going to struggle to walk back in , but it's another player who is infront of Kelly too .

What I like about us with Allen in the team , is we look more dangerous especially through central areas .

Him and hamer make a nice pair

And ... he's still just 26 .

Workrate , surprising leap for headers , physical, good on the ball , intelligent .

A man on the verge of the bomb squad totally reinventing himself and becoming a player that I want to see more of .. mental .

Nick

Administrator
I said yesterday he is better in the air than Sheaf and even though he is small and might not win a header, he has a jump on him to at least try and put them off.

Some of his through balls like the ones for Gyo (I didnt notice at the time last night that OHare got a touch).

Then his work rate to pester and close down helps as well.

djr8369

Always looked a tidy player but didn’t get consistent runs in the team with injuries and competition. Looked a bit ineffective last season while trying to work hard. Has stepped up a few gears this season though. How many interceptions did he make last night!?

cooperskyblue

He is playing MUCH better than he did ever in League 1. Like his performances this season and his impact is on a different level.

It is staggering as I thought he was done. But now he is someone I would not want to see dropped on Saturday.

Skyblueweeman

I did say last season that he was a good player and MR must see something in him that warranted him being in the team.

Jamesimus

Isn't he regarded by the others as being the fittest in the squad (no jokes plz 🙂) and did the best in the bleep test etc?

Think he's always been a good player, but last season when he came in he seemed to struggle with the physicality of the league. This season he seems to either be able to handle himself a bit more, or know how to work around that.

steve101

Come on what's happened?

Last season we were ALL In agreement this lad wasn't good enough for this league and yet here is is bossing it like Lothar Mattaus and looking every bit a championship player .

Not only is sheaf going to struggle to walk back in , but it's another player who is infront of Kelly too .

What I like about us with Allen in the team , is we look more dangerous especially through central areas .

Workrate , surprising leap for headers , physical, good on the ball , intelligent .

A man on the verge of the bomb squad totally reinventing himself and becoming a player that I want to see more of .. mental .
We weren't ALL in agreement that he wasn't good enough for the Championship but agree with much of what you say. I didn't realise he was only 26.

Londonccfcfan

Come on what's happened?

Still fairly young and nearing his peak.

I'd give him a contract now! He's been outstanding since he come on and won that penalty vs Barnsley.

SBAndy

I think there’s two aspects to it, for me:

1. We’re playing higher up the pitch this season as a team and this allows him to engage properly in the midfield battle without losing shape. Last season my recollection was really him and O’Hare trying to close down an entire midfield and back line, often to little avail. The rest were far too deep and it isolated him.

2. the pitch is bigger. I know this might seem a bit counterintuitive given what I’ve said above, but it’s allowing him to find more space and he’s not being closed down as quickly. I actually think the pitch is one of the biggest reasons for our overall improvement.

usskyblue

No we weren't.

9e018ddb35e5fd1eaf5b9eeb0b3e35740de5c9f1.jpg

Liquid Gold

This is what you want from a player who's been told is not wanted. He put his head down, worked on his game, proved it in training and is now delivering on the pitch.

Something that is really standing out at the moment is his pace, never seen him put on the afterburners like he can do now. Was always good and technical in L1 and key to our promotion run but didn't show this side of his game.

Evo1883

This is what you want from a player who's been told is not wanted. He put his head down, worked on his game, proved it in training and is now delivering on the pitch.

Something that is really standing out at the moment is his pace, never seen him put on the afterburners like he can do now. Was always good and technical in L1 and key to our promotion run but didn't show this side of his game.

Thought the same about godden last night chasing the ball when he came on .. looked a couple yards quicker

Liquid Gold

Thought the same about godden last night chasing the ball when he came on .. looked a couple yards quicker
Both of those two have had injuries and either been out for long periods or played through the pain for us at some point. Maybe a proper summer break and having the depth that we don't have to force them in means we've been able to get them properly up to the level they're capable of.

larry_david

Games completely passed him by last season. Even the sevilla friendly it was same old...but something has clicked.

Maybe the same will happen with Shipley

clint van damme

Games completely passed him by last season. Even the sevilla friendly it was same old...but something has clicked.

Maybe the same will happen with Shipley

Can't see Shipley getting an opportunity now.
I know they're not similar players but with Sheaf and Kelly on the bench I can't see us using any midfield configuration that includes him.

Ccfcisparks

Allen looks a lot fitter and a lot stronger than last season. The thing I liked last night was his positioning. Always ready to intercept or nick the ball off someone rather than getting into a 50/50 with them. It sounds ridiculous but he reminded me of Kante in his play.

stupot07

I think pretty much everything has been covered, the only thing I would add is the move to 2 up front has created space for him, and he has options and runners and more people ahead of him. With O'Hare in the box, he was often the furthest forward running beyond the strikers with no options ahead of him. That worked in league one when we were better technically than everyone, but didn't work in the championship. The two up top means we defend from the front, have plenty of runners and options for him, but also means they are creating pockets of space for him to run into.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

fatso

Come on what's happened?

He's certainly come back fit and determined this season, but I have to say having Gyoketes and Waghorn up front has given him options to find that he never had last season. The movement, pace and control that the front 2 add makes us far more dynamic, and because we have a threat now, opposition teams are leaving an extra defender back, which creates more room in midfield for Allen to flourish.

Last year with Max up front on his own it was impossible for Allen to flourish, just look at the goal last night that Allen was involved in setting up, would Max of scored it?

stupot07

He's certainly come back fit and determined this season, but I have to say having Gyoketes and Waghorn up front has given him options to find that he never had last season. The movement, pace and control that the front 2 add makes us far more dynamic, and because we have a threat now, opposition teams are leaving an extra defender back, which creates more room in midfield for Allen to flourish.

Last year with Max up front on his own it was impossible for Allen to flourish, just look at the goal last night that Allen was involved in setting up, would Max of scored it?
I'm not convinced we would have created it with playing just 1 up top even with gyokeres as the lone striker.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread